I refuse to shop Autozone now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local NAPA here provides great service.

The prices are a little higher.

But if you want some insights with your purchase, NAPA is the way to go.

Can't really fault the big chain stores in town either.

Nice folks there too; just not as much knowledge.

Must be a southern thing.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I live in a sparsely populated area that any auto parts store is about a half hour away. AZ is one of them. One of my biggest gripes is that AZ does not carry any parts for a vehicle over one ton. I found that out when my brother needed a starter for an F600 Ford truck. Also, there are no parts books that the employees have access to. It's all on the computer. The help was clueless when it came time to look for an oil filter for an Oliver tractor. Your computers didn't support any tractor applications, but they MIGHT be able to cross-reference an old number-once again only with the help of their computer. Like any parts store that "gives a low-price guarantee", some of your rebuild parts are of marginal quality. I found that out last week when I got a MAF sensor for my van. It worked, but looked like it was pulled off of a junk yard vehicle. It was that dirty.

An advantage that your store (and the O'Reilly store across the street) has is that the inventory is better and the store has better hours and is open longer, especially on the weekends.
Locally, the O'Reilly store is staffed by 16 year olds. At least the AZ store hires people that are old enough to buy a beer. (Nothing wrong with minors, they just have no experience when it comes to knowing that an Aerostar is a van and was built by Ford)

Shelf space for any item in a retail environment is held for a premium. In other words, if it does not move it does not get the shelf space waiting for you to buy it. Parts held in stock can vary from region to region. Import specific parts in metro area will be more prevalent than in rural areas where domestic brands are more common.

A parts store is not gonna keep shelf spaced tied up for a part that may only sell one every six months but they usually can get in 24-48 hours if needed.

Of the 5 AZ stores in my town, I have found that at least one of the stores will have my part 90% of the time.

I see a lot of Auto Zone hate but I have always had excellent results because I knew most of the time what I wanted and already knew they had it. So all the counter people were to me was the monkey to fetch my part. I already did they heavy thinking for them.

The AutoZones down here are pretty good, but what I don't like is that there is seldom a person at the cash register....

cause they are too busy helping customers looking for parts.

What gets me about all the parts stores (and WalMart) is that they almost always don't have a part look up book out (or its ripped up) so you can look up your own filters! And if you have to go to the counter, you gotta wait in line all just to get a number so you can walk back to the isle and get your filter.

Now, as a real BITOG guy, I already know my part #'s and for cars I don't I lool it up online before I go!!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Now, as a real BITOG guy, I already know my part #'s and for cars I don't I lool it up online before I go!!

Right on!
11.gif
I also grab a few filters instead of one as well.

Last edited:
What gets me about all the parts stores (and WalMart) is that they almost always don't have a part look up book out (or its ripped up) so you can look up your own filters! And if you have to go to the counter, you gotta wait in line all just to get a number so you can walk back to the isle and get your filter.

I don't know if you have them, but down here we have a little computer type deal at our walmarts that helps you find codes for lights and filters for your application. Other stores should have this too. Naturally, I know my oil filter number, but lighting and air filters are more than I care to memorize.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

I don't know if you have them, but down here we have a little computer type deal at our walmarts that helps you find codes for lights and filters for your application. Other stores should have this too. Naturally, I know my oil filter number, but lighting and air filters are more than I care to memorize.

At the Walmart stores here,those electronic parts matching computers are always broken and the books are always torn up. I guess if you don`t know exactly what you need,you`re sol,huh.

Quote:
At the Walmart stores here,those electronic parts matching computers are always broken and the books are always torn up. I guess if you don`t know exactly what you need,you`re sol,huh.

Glad to see it's not just a local phenomenon. I usually know exactly what I'm looking for, but if I'm buying for someone else's vehicle I end up having to google the part number on my phone. It always looks like some monkey punched the screen on the LCD display and Freddy Kruger's been leafing through the parts book.

Quote:
It always looks like some monkey punched the screen on the LCD display and Freddy Kruger's been leafing through the parts book.

crackmeup2.gif

kingrob said:
Quote:
Freddy Kruger's been leafing through the parts book.

Exactly! I`m always like,how in the world does a book get "that" torn up? Yep,I also Google the filter # before I head up there when I`m changing a friend`s oil as well.

I fired Auto Zone/Auto Shack several years ago. I hated waiting in line to get a part the moving over to another line to pay for it. The last time I was in that store I got my parts off the shelf and they kept putting people from the parts counter in line ahead of me. I set the 7 sets of wiper blades down on the floor and never returned. Advance Auto is on short notice to be fired. They won't stop answering the phone when I'm at the counter. Not just once but every time I go in the guy behind the counter in on the phone price checking for some twit. I drove up there, I have money, I'm buying stuff! The guy on the phone is only price matching and is NOT in the freaking store trying to buy parts. So now I use NAPA and Oreilly for parts. I buy a lot of parts and I'm the boss of the funds in my pocket.

the mgr was obnoxious, but so were you for insisting on honoring outdated sign

AZ has been ok with me so far...put yourself in their shoes and having to deal some a$$hole customers all day

Originally Posted By: chet2
AZ has been ok with me so far...put yourself in their shoes and having to deal some a$$hole customers all day

Customers aren't a@@holes. They're the ones who pay the business owner's bills. . .

I've had good and bad experiences at parts stores.

Napa stores generally are the best to deal with. CarQuest is good too. I have never been in a Napa or CarQuest with bad customer service.

Advance and Auto Zone are VERY hit and miss. The local Advance in Harrisburg, NC is pretty good when the manager is there. He always has a good attitude and is helpful. The local Auto Zone is pretty good too.

I can't say the same for the Advance in Durham, NC. I went in to buy brake parts for my old Ranger. I told the parts guy it had four wheel ABS. He said that was impossible, because ABS could not be used on drum brakes. Right...I think I know my truck. I also know that rear ABS, for the drum brakes, has been available in Rangers since 1986 and standard since 1990 or 1991. If they don't really know much about vehicles, that's fine, but don't try to school me on a truck I know bumper to bumper.

the mgr was obnoxious, but so were you for insisting on honoring outdated sign
Obnoxious? For only wanting to pay the price that was listed on the shelf?

Which AZ do you work at?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Customers aren't a@@holes. They're the ones who pay the business owner's bills. . .

Obviously you've never worked retail. You're probably also one of those customers that walks into a store and the people behind the counter start whispering behind your back.
grin2.gif

Over here the new Advance Auto Parts store blows AZ away. The manager goes out of his way to make sure you got what you needed and are happy. The help is a little green, but it all seems to come together. AZ on the other hand has a real [censored] poor attitude. I only grab oil or other sale items, and don't look for or ask for help if I go there.

Frank D

Quote:
Obviously you've never worked retail.

I think everybody should have mandated time dealing with the public until they're proficient at it. Then, after that mandated service, and some sensible attrition rate, the ONLY people that would be a problem would be the (fill in the blank's). They would be doing it on purpose.

I am blessed that the 2 AZs nearest to me are pretty good. Because I drive 20 yr old cars, I mostly check for parts availability on line before I walk into the store. Others I have stopped at are spotty. Some good, some terrible. The old school NAPA 2 miles from me dried up and blew away a couple of yrs ago, they are sorely missed. I had been dealing with the same 2 guys for 35 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back