I refuse to shop Autozone now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My small town is growing pretty quickly, and they just put in a big Autozone to compete with the local Napa and O'Reillys. They've been running specials to undercut the other guys. My biggest problem is they hired some of the most incompetent bozos they could find. I went in fishing for good deals to replenish my stash, and they had some signs for 5 quarts of QS dino and an STP filter for $12.99. I thought that was a pretty good find, so I grabbed 15 quarts and 3 filters (limit was 3). Went to check out, and it rang up $83.67. I showed him the sign, and the mananger began to ARGUE with me in front of 6 other customers that it was an old promo and no longer valid. I told him if it's on the shelf, it't their fault, not mine and asked him to honor the clearly marked price on the tag. He refused, and I handed him all 15 quarts and 3 filters and started to walk out. He tried to stop me and asked what he needed to do for me to make my purchase. I told him the minute he argued with his customer, he lost not only this sale, but all future sales. I told him this wasn't a good way to draw customers away from the other local businesses. I went over to Napa, told them the story, and they honored AZ price with their Napa gold filters.

I've not had very good luck with Autozone either. I stopped in with a friend a while back, he needed some oil and a filter for his beater. We saw the 9.99 5 quart AZ brand oil and STP filter sign, picked it up and they rang him up for 18-19.00. I jumped in and said it should be 9.99 and they said "that deal ended yesterday" I told him the sign was still up and he walked back there to see, sure enough it was, did he give my friend the deal anyways, no! He tried to sell him some other deal for like 15.00. We walked out. That is one of many stories I can tell you about them!

Thats really bad. I have had that happen before. The manager tried to get me to take all the oil back to the shelf!!!

But when Autozone dose have the sales going, they are good.
My buddy got the German Castrol(5quarts) and a stp filter for $29.99

I would rather get the Napa filter though. Its good Napa gave you Autozones sale, or lack there of!

What kills me about this kind of thing is that they want to argue with you instead of apologizing and saying "I'm sorry, we forgot to take down the sign." The attitude of a lot of these people is beyond belief.

John

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Thats really bad. I have had that happen before. The manager tried to get me to take all the oil back to the shelf!!!

But when Autozone dose have the sales going, they are good.
My buddy got the German Castrol(5quarts) and a stp filter for $29.99

I would rather get the Napa filter though. Its good Napa gave you Autozones sale, or lack there of!

Yep!! that sounds like our area here, big time!

I noticed the local Auto Zone near me hires help with some really [censored] poor attitude. It sucks when some 19 year old kid selling parts thinks he knows it all, and because you're not dressed as "the trade" you automatically know nothing about cars. Granted there are plenty of 19 year olds that do know a lot about cars, but not at AZ near me. I like to listen and observe, and hear some of the half assed info the "parts guy" gives to customers. Its a real turn off.

I miss the local small mom and pop auto parts stores where the help actually knew what they were talking about.

I ran into the same sign problem at Auto Zone and they told me the story about the sale ending the other day. A nice chat with the manager got me what I wanted, but to get to him I had to deal with the 19 year olds attitude.

Frank D

I've been lucky lately, but I've learned when shopping AZ that if the rebate form isn't on the shelf and if the clerk doesn't have one for me before the sale is rung up, I don't let it go forward.

I think I told this story before but I started this "policy" because one time I had a clerk who ignored me multiple times when ringing up the order (pretending that there was a language barrier on top of it) but as soon as things were rung up and he wanted my money, the language barrier disappeared, and when I asked about the rebate forms he said they were out and I could come back next week to pick them up.

I very politely said that if I was coming back next week to pick up the forms, I could buy the items then and left.

Haven't set foot in that particular AZ since.

I've had the 'local' AutoZone try adding things like the small packages of dielectric grease or anti-sizeze they have next to the cashier without asking me if I needed it. Just threw it on top of the box of whatever I was buying at the time assuming I was going to need it. Presumptious?

OTOH, one of the managers they have is a total mexican, but speaks excellent english, and is probably one of the most helpeful employee's I've ever run across at any auto-parts store. It's such a toss-up sometimes no matter where you go.

To their credit, my local AZ has begrudgingly given me the advertised price for oil, for which the promotion has ended.

Anecdotal as it is, my experience has been that if I ask politely, I can usually get parts store managers to give me the deal I ask for, if there is a sign advertising said price in the store. Not every time, but most of the time.

Virtuoso said:
I've had the 'local' AutoZone try adding things like the small packages of dielectric grease or anti-sizeze they have next to the cashier without asking me if I needed it. Just threw it on top of the box of whatever I was buying at the time assuming I was going to need it. Presumptuous?
/quote]

...or those anti-corrosion felts with a battery. At that instant I assumed it was included as part of the price. That won't happen again.

It must be AZ's policy to upsell their stuff that's on current promotion. Every time I buy something they try to add something else that's on sale. I tell them every time if that's what I was shopping for, it would be in my hands and they usually stop after that. This just pushed me over the edge. I'm glad (but also distrubed) to see that other people have had the same issues as I did.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
I've had the 'local' AutoZone try adding things like the small packages of dielectric grease or anti-sizeze they have next to the cashier without asking me if I needed it. Just threw it on top of the box of whatever I was buying at the time assuming I was going to need it. Presumptious?

OTOH, one of the managers they have is a total mexican, but speaks excellent english, and is probably one of the most helpeful employee's I've ever run across at any auto-parts store. It's such a toss-up sometimes no matter where you go.

Well, having done time in retail, I wouldn't call it presumptious as much as policy. I think the store would call it an "add-on". For example, if I was selling you a sump pump, I was supposed to try to make sure you walked out with a new check-valve, pipe-thread sealer, and so forth. Of course, tossing those items in your cart rather than asking if you need new ones would be similar to what you describe, and I guess that would be irritating.

It's sad to read of such stories. If one went into WalMart, or most other larger box stores, the store would honor the price then promptly take the outdated sign down.

Our local AZ actually did the opposite after a fresh power steering pump oozed on the alternator (and subsequently ruined it) that is directly underneath it in my Saturn. The manager questioned nothing, took back everything then proceeded to give me a free jug of oil and filter as a way of expressing the store's 'customer retention' policy and his apologies for parts that did not work. I was shocked that they would do anything, but the manager did go above & beyond IMO.

Some of our mom and pop stores that have been around for a long time have even worse employess. I go in, they are reading the paper and act like they're doing me a favor by waiting on me. Our best store (Lancaster, PA) is a NAPA store where I have dealt for years. Good people, good service, good parts and a helpful attitude.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
It's sad to read of such stories. If one went into WalMart, or most other larger box stores, the store would honor the price then promptly take the outdated sign down.

Our local AZ actually did the opposite after a fresh power steering pump oozed on the alternator (and subsequently ruined it) that is directly underneath it in my Saturn. The manager questioned nothing, took back everything then proceeded to give me a free jug of oil and filter as a way of expressing the store's 'customer retention' policy and his apologies for parts that did not work. I was shocked that they would do anything, but the manager did go above & beyond IMO.

Thats how Walmart and all the big chain stores get so big.

For the most part they will take the hit and let the cutomer get the deal or return, because next month when your shopping for that camping trip, or birthday present, you will return!

Just FYI - I was able to give my customer a $30,000 service free of charge because it was in the best interests of both me (and my company) and them (my customer and their company).

This was only a $400k contract, so not exactly a drop in the bucket.

Customer service is not dead. I would fire a store manager who did that, unless he had a record of great service and just had a bad moment/day....which everyone has once in awhile.

Joe

Yesterday my local AAP had a sign on PP 10W30 for $4.98/QT. It rang up $5.99/QT. I showed the sign to the clerk and got it for $4.98. She took the sign down, but no argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back