Interesting conversation at O’Reilly

This kind of thing is the equivalent of the advice you can expect from a FB auto/car group. I mod a VW one and you should read the things folks post in response to "which oil should I run" posts 🤣

A few years back when RGT was getting closed out at Autozone, the guy checking me out told me the price was a good deal and it was too bad he could not use it or he would buy some, but he had a sedan not a truck. His coworker told him there was nothing stopping him from using it in his car, it would not do damage, etc. and a disagreement took off from there. I was there long enough to confirm that it was not unusable because of the weight it was that the oil was specified for trucks. Sort of disappointed that I did not stick around to see how long it lasted or what the outcome was. :D

A few years back when RGT was getting closed out at Autozone, the guy checking me out told me the price was a good deal and it was too bad he could not use it or he would buy some, but he had a sedan not a truck. His coworker told him there was nothing stopping him from using it in his car, it would not do damage, etc. and a disagreement took off from there. I was there long enough to confirm that it was not unusable because of the weight it was that the oil was specified for trucks. Sort of disappointed that I did not stick around to see how long it lasted or what the outcome was. :D
There was a stretch a few years ago where I exploited that myth. Ran a bunch of oil changes on RGT. Wish I still has more.

1) I will look up the "Dunning-Kreuger Effect" mentioned in post #3 but my go-to way of describing it has been, "The 6 O'clock News Syndrome".
In brief, foolish/stupid people feel they know something when they can string 2 sentences together.....mimicking the people who read you news reports on TV.

2) In my experience, you can actually read the apprehension in their body language when they're in "speak" mode.
What's worse is when their content is focused on making a sale. A measure of pathetic urgency coats their delivery.

3) Years ago in NC in the first O'Reilly's I ever set foot in -a new one- I walked over to the oil section (what else?) and alert, polite kids came over to assist me. Since I was a foreigner (aka a Yankee) I knew I was the attraction of the evening.
I showed them the Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula and briefly explained the ACEA ratings and how THIS was the one oil in the store which was superior for turbocharged engines.

Then I asked them if anyone could tell me what a turbocharger was.

My father lost an engine back in the 70's using Quaker State. I was a little kid then but I remember there was a big "recall or lawsuit" because something happened in the manufacture of the oil and a lot of people lost engines. I think it was around the same time the Firestone 500 was a "suicide" tire and had to be recalled.
My Dad was so cheap he used a set of those 500's that we found dumped (brand new, still had stickers on them) and took them home. My poor mother was a nervous wreck driving on those. He also made a Pontiac dealer take the power steering off a new 1971 Lemans he purchased, just to save 60 dollars. My mother had forearms the size of a giant after parallel parking that car for years. :LOL:
God bless my parents souls, they sacrificed everything to put food on the table and clothes on our backs.
That bad oil critically wounded Quaker State and could be said to have contributed to their fall from the position of number one U.S. PCMO.

This article came out early in the crisis, which became much more widespread. It contains failed attempts at damage control.

There was a stretch a few years ago where I exploited that myth. Ran a bunch of oil changes on RGT. Wish I still has more.
Yeah same, I collected quite a bit from AZ and Tractor Supply that is still sitting in my garage as my mileage has changed. I am tempted to put it on Craigslist or Facebook but I also not not want to deal with the same conversation when someone comes to buy it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ha. I just quietly bought up all I could find and mailed in the rebates. A few jugs I actually got for just the 6% state sales tax on the reduced price. It was a great era in my oil stash life. Almost as good as when Autozone incorrectly priced the Delvac 5W40 syn oil for the price of the 1300. I think I ended up with around 8 gallons from several stores. Unfortunately I bragged about it at work and someone bought the last dozen gallons at a store I hadnt been to yet. I should have kept my mouth shut.

I told this before but it fits this thread so well. I was a AutoZone to get oil and filter for an oil change a few years ago and the friendly worker guy was helping me out. I told him it was for a Toyota and he told me that I should get a Bosch oil filter because it's imported. I said, yeah but, my car is from Japan and Bosch is from Germany. He said it didn't matter. You want an imported filter for an imported car. Doesn't matter what country exported it.

IMO - Aside from dealership parts counter sales people, the folks working at AZ, Orilley, NAPA, and Advance etc. have less knowledge about what they sale than the clerks at a grocery store. I went into a AZ and was greeted at the door with “how can we help you”. I said “all I need is an 1157 clear bulb”. The counter person asked “ give the year, make, and model of the vehicle”. Enough said.

X2. Most of the people working in the parts houses, and the service writers at the stealerships, know absolutely zero about autos, auto parts, etc and have to rely entirely on their computers to look up even the most common parts. I am amazed that any legitimate business woud hire most of of these people. They must lose a lot of business because of them. We just dealt with a complete moron service writer at the local Hyundai dealer and we won't be going back there for anything despite the fact that we've bought three cars there. (FWIW We did complain the Service Manager, the head of the sales department and others but I don't think anyone gave a S##T and nothing was done about the situation so we definitely will never go there again.)

I had a Ford mechanic at dealership tell me Quaker State oil sucks. LOL
I heard this years ago when I was in auto class. I had a class mate tell me QS is "Michigan Crude" and it's drilled in areas that contain clay. He claims he had a layer of silt on the bottom of his oil pan from using QS in his Chevy truck for a long time...

Interesting enough I have never used a QS product, but not for this reason.

Just my $0.02

I had a gift card to burn up and some used oil to take in yesterday so I went to Oreilly.

The young man working the counter asked what the oil was for just to strike conversation, I told him. He then went onto say that if it was for a Chevy 5.3, he’d recommend Castrol as opposed to my Mobil 1 because of what it did to his truck, which he was likely the 4th or 5th owner of. He also expressed his feeling towards foreign brands even while suggesting a foreign branded oil, Castrol. He and his co worker got to talking and then said M1 had no detergent in it and that it’ll destroy my engine.

Basically calling me stupid without calling me stupid IMO. I still kept my mouth shut. Told him to have a nice day and left. Where do they find these people?
That’s crazy, right there!
The last guy I would take advice from is “the kid behind the auto store counter”.
I value your patience by not becoming confrontational with his bad advice and just walking away. My personality makes it hard for me to do that……

My father lost an engine back in the 70's using Quaker State. I was a little kid then but I remember there was a big "recall or lawsuit" because something happened in the manufacture of the oil and a lot of people lost engines. I think it was around the same time the Firestone 500 was a "suicide" tire and had to be recalled.
My Dad was so cheap he used a set of those 500's that we found dumped (brand new, still had stickers on them) and took them home. My poor mother was a nervous wreck driving on those. He also made a Pontiac dealer take the power steering off a new 1971 Lemans he purchased, just to save 60 dollars. My mother had forearms the size of a giant after parallel parking that car for years. :LOL:
God bless my parents souls, they sacrificed everything to put food on the table and clothes on our backs.
I had a set of those Firestone 500s, came on a car I bought (‘65 Impala SS 283/Powerglide), they were worn a little unevenly, so I (cross) rotated them like an idiot. Tore the belts on EVERY SINGLE ONE in the first day!

I had a gift card to burn up and some used oil to take in yesterday so I went to Oreilly.

The young man working the counter asked what the oil was for just to strike conversation, I told him. He then went onto say that if it was for a Chevy 5.3, he’d recommend Castrol as opposed to my Mobil 1 because of what it did to his truck, which he was likely the 4th or 5th owner of. He also expressed his feeling towards foreign brands even while suggesting a foreign branded oil, Castrol. He and his co worker got to talking and then said M1 had no detergent in it and that it’ll destroy my engine.

Basically calling me stupid without calling me stupid IMO. I still kept my mouth shut. Told him to have a nice day and left. Where do they find these people?

yeah, kinda like one of my friends claiming Penzoil was no good because it loosened up all the deposits and sludge in his undermaintanined engine and caused the oil pump pickup to get clogged.. :)

Back