Current oil change census

I just go by months. Every 6 months regardless of mileage. I'm lucky to go a couple thousand miles between 3 cars. Most here would say I'm changing way too often. I would have to agree. But it's the habit I've gotten into, and I feel better doing it.

I'm retired, and have more than enough time on my hands, so it doesn't bother me. As I get older, and it becomes more of a chore to accomplish, I'll most likely go to once a year. I think I'll be able to get away with it without connecting rods coming out the side of the block.

IMO
OCI is dependent on how the the vehicle acquires the miles, not how many.

Two ways to dive 5,000 miles per year.

8 trips a day of only 2 miles with time in between for the engine to cool down. [ back and forth to work and for lunch, out for dinner and yoga class...etc..]
or
One day a week.....drive a 100 mile round trip on the highway to drop something off.

In the first example, I would change oil every 1,500 miles [11 weeks].
In the second example, perhaps every 7,500 miles [1.5 years].

We don't know how this elderly gentleman drove this Nissan, but if it was short tripped a lot, 10,000 mile OCIs was not enough in my opinion. The current outlook for this vehicle includes many short trips. I would change oil often. Perhaps every 2,000 miles.
We don't know the climate this vehicle driven in.

This Poll is dependent on what make and model in discussion here.
For instance;
Not in ownership's best interests should he/she make a vehicle lifetime commitment to a Hyundai or Kia four cylinder Theta II four cylinder vehicle and do 5-7.5k oil changes. One is better-off to commit to 3-3.5k oil changes and not endure the wrath of the dealership service department, should the engine go kaput (and many have).

3k OCIs with Hyunkia products betters the odds that once the dealership removes the valve covers for an inspection on a kaput engine, they will see cleanliness inside that engine and not be able to void our warranty, due to lack of receipts for oil changes.

Hyundai Inc in Korea has in the past sent documents that approve warranty wortk on engines which show engine cleanliness maintenance, whenever further inspections of the engine did not declared ownership lacked in topping-off the oil when the dipstick showed "low".

So polls like this one, needs to outline make, model, year & engine specifics. For it cannot be lumped into a pile of any & all.

3.6 mile trips 10 times a week (work commute) means the engine will spend a good chunk of its life below operating temp. I would stick to 0W20 for this application so that the "average viscosity" the engine sees is more appropriate. The big concern though is keeping an eye on fuel dilution. When engines are cold they run a bit rich, so there's more fuel getting down into the oil, and when engines are not operated for long periods of time at operating temp, they don't have a chance to evaporate the fuel out of the oil and consume it through the crankcase ventilation system.

Some engines suffer from more fuel dilution problems than others with short trips. Not sure where the 2.5L Datsun engine falls on that spectrum.

I would do a UOA at 5K miles to get a feeling of what the engine is doing with your driving habits. If fuel dilution is excessive, drop down to 3K miles, if it's in check, either stay on 5K mile intervals or consider extending further but confirming with UOA.

I like 5K intervals because they are easy to keep track of. If I were going to extend to something longer, I would probably want to be able to hit 10K or annual for simplicity.

IMO
OCI is dependent on how the the vehicle acquires the miles, not how many.

Two ways to dive 5,000 miles per year.

8 trips a day of only 2 miles with time in between for the engine to cool down. [ back and forth to work and for lunch, out for dinner and yoga class...etc..]
or
One day a week.....drive a 100 mile round trip on the highway to drop something off.

In the first example, I would change oil every 1,500 miles [11 weeks].
In the second example, perhaps every 7,500 miles [1.5 years].

We don't know how this elderly gentleman drove this Nissan, but if it was short tripped a lot, 10,000 mile OCIs was not enough in my opinion. The current outlook for this vehicle includes many short trips. I would change oil often. Perhaps every 2,000 miles.
We don't know the climate this vehicle driven in.
Car was always in South Carolina however the previous owner has family in Maryland so I’m sure it seen highway commutes there.

3.6 mile trips 10 times a week (work commute) means the engine will spend a good chunk of its life below operating temp. I would stick to 0W20 for this application so that the "average viscosity" the engine sees is more appropriate. The big concern though is keeping an eye on fuel dilution. When engines are cold they run a bit rich, so there's more fuel getting down into the oil, and when engines are not operated for long periods of time at operating temp, they don't have a chance to evaporate the fuel out of the oil and consume it through the crankcase ventilation system.

Some engines suffer from more fuel dilution problems than others with short trips. Not sure where the 2.5L Datsun engine falls on that spectrum.

I would do a UOA at 5K miles to get a feeling of what the engine is doing with your driving habits. If fuel dilution is excessive, drop down to 3K miles, if it's in check, either stay on 5K mile intervals or consider extending further but confirming with UOA.

I like 5K intervals because they are easy to keep track of. If I were going to extend to something longer, I would probably want to be able to hit 10K or annual for simplicity.
I do plan on sticking with 0w20 I see the owners manual also says a 5w30 could be used. 5,000 or 6 month was always my norm but as of now with driving habits it’ll most likely be 3,000 mile oci’s, 3 months is just wasting good oil and $. I get the fuel dilution issue hopefully it’ll be minimal with this vehicle especially since it’s just multi port fuel injection. There is a longer stretch of road maybe adds another 2 miles to the commute where I can get up to 55-60mph. I can do this a few times a month see if I can get those pan drippings hot.

Back