People don't like 5 quart oil jugs....what?

Yeah but we're talking about oil. Preference seems split with a slight favor toward jugs.
As far as the Napa store not wanting/offering to order a jug for you the minimum ship quantities on fluids from napa distribution centers to stores is 1 case, which is 3 jugs and so unless another store had a jug that he could have transferred either you were taking 3 jugs or he was going to have to sit on two hoping they sell.I love big jugs.
So if I go on Napaonline and order 1 jug it says pick up 11/27 in store. Will they have it or will they refuse the order because they had to take a case?

Hmm. I’ve owned one vehicle that took less than 5 quarts in my life. Maybe the guy wasn’t telling a tale but he could have offered to order me one. Lost sale.

So much for personal experience vs reality I guess.
So, In the family there is a total of 6 cars. All 3 Hondas take 4.5 QT, and Volt that takes 4.2, and 1 Toyota and 1 Lexus that take over 7 QT (might say something about longevity?? ). Anyway, there is a good mix BUT most take lees than 5. I always try to buy what is cheaper and I have One jug where all the overage for the Hondas gets put in until there is about 4.5 QT and that makes another change.

Most cars takes less than 5 quarts, so the remainder is stuck in a big jug.

With quart bottles, the remainder stays in a smaller bottle and takes up less space :)

When the capacity is close enough to 5 qt (for example, 4.9 or 5.1), then I just pour in a 5 qt jug. If the capacity is less than 4.5, then you want the single quart bottles.
I have 6 cars. Trans Am, Malibu, Buick take 5. The Silverado and Caprice take 8. The Duramax takes 10. I love the 5 qt oil bottles. I have to go back to my 80's turbo dodges for a 4-quart car that I have owned. I think the Jetta was like 4.9. It just got 5.

They make these easy to poor 5 qt bottles. It empties QUICK. I also purchased a GM specific funnel that screws into the oil fill hole. The 5 qt bottles are much quicker and easier for my oil changes.

Yeah, so weird. I don't know if I've ever owned a car that recommends under five quarts. I thought that was the reason the jugs were five quarts over four. Four would make so much sense, like how Amsoil sells it.

I would guess most people are buying a top off quart at a time at Napa. Someone driving a beater that they know they HAVE to add oil due to leaks and burning. 1 quart every week or 2 is better on their budget than a giant 5’r

Yeah but we're talking about oil. Preference seems split with a slight favor toward jugs.

So if I go on Napaonline and order 1 jug it says pick up 11/27 in store. Will they have it or will they refuse the order because they had to take a case?
That I cannot speak to, we order through prolink and looking last night I physically cant order less than 3 since the store does not stock it and no local store stocks it.

Most cars takes less than 5 quarts, so the remainder is stuck in a big jug.

With quart bottles, the remainder stays in a smaller bottle and takes up less space :)

When the capacity is close enough to 5 qt (for example, 4.9 or 5.1), then I just pour in a 5 qt jug. If the capacity is less than 4.5, then you want the single quart bottles.
Not today's vehicles - even most 4cyls are taking 5.5-6 qts

All my vehicles except the motorcycle take a wee over 5 quarts. I just dump all 5 quarts in slowly and it seems to suffice based on the electronic "oil full" readers. (Bring back the dip stick!) Also saves time NOT having to measure. I Find buying the equivalent quantity in individual containers significantly more costly and more plastic to dispose of.

My 1965 VW beetle only requires 2.5 qts/change. I get 2 changes out of a 5 qt jug. Only go 2K before changing since it has no filter.

Went Black Friday shopping at NAPA for a gas cap with a tether, some fool forgot to put it back on the Jeep and it flew away. Decided to pick up next OC since the sale prices on NAPA oil put it in range. Couldn't find any jugs of 10W-30 HM on the rack so grabbed a quart (takes 6) and went to the counter. Asked the counter guy to get me a jug since there wasn't any out and he said we're stocking fewer jugs since people prefer the quarts. Wait, what? And he made no effort to tell me he'd order me one in. I told him I'll put the quart back and just take the gas cap. First substandard experience I've had at the local NAPA. Maybe their customers aren't at all price conscious? :unsure: I've preferred the jugs since they came out.

Good chance the quarts provide higher profit margins than 5qt jugs, so they prefer to use their retail space for those instead.

I would guess most people are buying a top off quart at a time at Napa. Someone driving a beater that they know they HAVE to add oil due to leaks and burning. 1 quart every week or 2 is better on their budget than a giant 5’r
Hopefully not too many people driving beaters are buying quarts at NAPA one at a time at regular price.😳

Back when oil was in quart cans, buying it by the case was how everyone did it. Some are still stuck in those ways. It was easier when there were fewer "flavors", so they put cases on the bottom rack at walmart.

I like a car that reads full at 4.9 quarts. Too many dealers, jiffy lubes charge an extravagant amount for anything over 5 quarts, and they like to say your capacity is "five plus the filter."

Myself, I buy it by the 3-gallon wine box now, use an old 5 qt jug as a transfer pitcher. Know just how far up to fill it. Efficient. But I'd love some mismatched $2/qt Autozone surplus about now.

My 1965 VW beetle only requires 2.5 qts/change. I get 2 changes out of a 5 qt jug. Only go 2K before changing since it has no filter.
The 2012 Beetle that we had for a bit took between 6-6.5, it was a 5cyl but still, funny how much things change.

Back