How did you meet your wife/husband/partner/significant other?

I met my wife at church. A friend of mine invited me to go there. I was in the middle of a divorce that my first wife wanted and she was recently widowed. It was love at first site and that was 29 years ago.. Have lived more lives together than I can even say. It was meant to be.

The way she has treated me lately makes me think that maybe this marriage has run it's course.
I hope not. My wife and I also had problems over the years and I learned it wasn't always one persons actions that caused it. Usually if one does something that hurts the other they'll come back with something to hurt the other and is exactly the opposite of what they should do. Sometimes one just needs to take the lead, swallow their pride and do whatever it takes to rekindle the relationship. I'm not criticizing or judging but maybe the relationship just needs to be rekindled. Sometimes an "I love you" or a small gift at the right time can make a huge difference in a relationship.

I'm mildly envious of those that have managed to pull off long-term marriages. Congratulations are in order! It's my opinion that the odds of a normal successful marriage ended probably 10 years ago (meaning you met over a decade ago), based on my personal and professional experiences.

I have 2 friends who have managed long marriages and kids, but they are either plow-horses for their wifes' absurd spendthrift lifestyles or make sacrifices for their marriages I am unwilling to make. I have many friends who got financially ruined in divorces. From my personal and professional life, I know the odds are overwhelmingly against men, dating/marrying modern women is simply too dangerous and too much to destroy a man's life. I think a lot of men are very bitter toward the topic. I've become quite content with just building myself better and my career and not allowing women into my life to ruin it. If you're not at least aware of the "red pill" or "men going their own way" movement, it's large and growing...

To those that can manage it, congratulations and good luck going forward.

Mutual friend found out her coworker lived on same street as me back in early 2021. She thought we should meet so told us both another each other separately . I ended up walking my dog a lot by her house until we met when she sat outside in her semi ugly reading glasses and hair in braid. I was in love at first site after talking to her.

She moved into my house 9 months later in 2021 and married a few years later.

Well, I was invited to contribute so here goes.

My galpal (a nursing student) and I bummed around a lot but were never more than just good friends as I was a confirmed bachelor. (Yea, sure!).

She calls me up and says there will be an outdoor watermelon party/picnic for unmarried's at the church that weekend. Well, I said, "big deal, it sounds boring." She says she is bringing a friend who is also a nursing student. Well, maybe this might be interesting. So I also brought my friend Bob just in case and for backup.

Anyway, here I am spitting watermelon seeds in a spitting contest with the other goof-offs and in walks my galpal with this beautiful, tall, killer blond.

I wouldn't let any of my friends talk to her the whole afternoon and she told my galpal that I was a real pain. That's the exact moment when I knew we could make a good pair. Anyway, we exchanged phone numbers.

So about two weeks later this blonde nurse calls and says she has been on a 12 hour shift and really could use a burger and fries. So I picked her up and we had a really good time at the greasy spoon.

I had also bought an engagement ring just on the chance she might be the real deal. So before we left, I presented it to her. She said, "You really are a nut case!" But with a smile she said yes anyway, but any thoughts of marriage would have to wait until she graduated. I think I actually said something romantic like: "I would wait for you forever."

Well, 55 years later this nutcase and the beautiful blonde nurse are still married.

Epilogue: I introduced Bob to my galpal and they were married 6 months later. So I don't know what kind of watermelons were being served at that church but they worked their magic. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
A younger friend I met through work invited me to join his wife and MIL at a Thai restaurant at National Harbor. I had an inkling what was up as I had been widowed for 15 years and he's bringing his widowed MIL.
The mother in law barely spoke any English, but we spent the whole time laughing. She was also cute and built like a brick you know what. :love: German dad and Thai mom. Way prettier than her daughter.
Anyway, when we were leaving and I said it was nice to meet her and had fun., She said: "When we get married we'll always have fun." 😲
Uh, yeah. I laughed and figured she really didn't know what she just said. :ROFLMAO:
Three years later we tied the knot. We've spend 10 years together laughing.

I met her at church. That was 48 years ago.
In May my wife and I will have been married for 50 years.
However, we dated for two years, and have been married 28.

May will be 14 years.
Well, 55 years later this nutcase and the beautiful blonde nurse are still married.

It was love at first site and that was 29 years ago.
Coming up on 43 years for us.
God Bless

I'm mildly envious of those that have managed to pull off long-term marriages. Congratulations are in order! It's my opinion that the odds of a normal successful marriage ended probably 10 years ago (meaning you met over a decade ago), based on my personal and professional experiences.

I have 2 friends who have managed long marriages and kids, but they are either plow-horses for their wifes' absurd spendthrift lifestyles or make sacrifices for their marriages I am unwilling to make. I have many friends who got financially ruined in divorces. From my personal and professional life, I know the odds are overwhelmingly against men, dating/marrying modern women is simply too dangerous and too much to destroy a man's life. I think a lot of men are very bitter toward the topic. I've become quite content with just building myself better and my career and not allowing women into my life to ruin it. If you're not at least aware of the "red pill" or "men going their own way" movement, it's large and growing...

To those that can manage it, congratulations and good luck going forward.
That’s what I’m hoping for and she is too. My parents have been married since 88 and my grandparents were married 58 years when my grandfather passed. In our rural farming community 60+ years is fairly normal. 60 years from now puts me at 87 and I don’t know if I’ll live that long but we’ll see

In 2014 my loving wife of 24 years passed away unexpectedly. The following year I was having dinner in a local pub when an attractive lady came in meet some friends. I was chatting with her friends when she arrived, so I moved over one seat to allow her to sit next to her friends. We began to talk and I learned she had recently lost her husband of 35 years. Most of our conversation was about our lost spouses and how we were dealing with the crushing grief, and it was comforting to finally talk to someone who was in the same situation and condition as I was. We agreed to meet again continue the helpful conversation.

The following week we met at another restaurant for dinner and talked for five hours. It turned out that we had so much in common that it was eerie. We were both the same age (65) and both had moved from the northeast to this small mountain town in Virginia with our late spouses to retire. We both bought white, four bedroom houses on a ridge at 2,600 feet facing south with a view of the mountains. We both had house cats, the same brand of "dumb phone", and enjoyed the same restaurants and dishes. I told her my favorite hobbies were vegetable gardening and photography - her late husband was a professional photographer and his second love was growing vegetables. Even our last names differed by just a couple of letters.

What started out as a mini support group grew into love and we married seven months later. Neither of us was looking for a partner and were still wearing our wedding rings when we met. It's amazing that the human heart has the capacity to fall in love while grieving!

We just celebrated eight years together and are as happy as clams.

Really great stories above. I read and enjoyed every one.

Sorry for your loss FordMan

I was a Jr. at PSU. I was in a Co-Op program whereby I would go 3 years at that college and finish up at PSU. It was impossible to get a date at PSU. The boy/girl ratio was low. A friend from H.S. going there had dated a girl at a college 50 miles away. He had a steady gf so he stopped dating "Mary". He fixed me up with her. 4 Months later we got engaged and in 3 months we were Married. She had graduated and was a schoolteacher AND had her own apartment. Life was good and 54 years later it still is.

Its neat that some of you met in HS and are still together. That is the way it was "supposed" to be. We dated 3 years and after she graduated from HS she went to PSU. I was dumped a month later. All for the best! But strangely when your heart is badly broken a bit of it never heals.

We met in 1979: she was a sorority sister of a girl in my law school 1L study group. We did not like each other. Two years later we met again and this time I liked her and I asked her out. We started dating and in 1983 she found a 1973 Bavaria for me; in 1986 we were married. As I have mentioned previously, she's definitely a keeper.

Last edited:
At the Avenue Ballroom in San Francisco in 1982. My buddies and I had been going there for some time. The AB taught jitterbug dancing. One night a lovely young lady there caught my eye from across the room, but by the time I got over there my friend Mark was talking to her. The AB was hosting a softball game the next day so I suggested to Mark that he invite the lady to play, so he did. Unfortunately for Mark, he broke his foot playing in the softball game. Several weeks later, after Mark had recovered, I saw the lady again at the Ballroom and said “I told Mark if he didn’t ask you out I was going to” to which she replied “ Sounds good to me!”.
We had our 38th wedding anniversary two days ago.

Wife and I knew each other slightly thru other people. Just happened we each wanted to date those other people. Each others friends. We set those dates up. Those dates did not work out. About 6 months later I saw that guy and he explained they did not hit it off and only went on the one date. I called her right away after talking to him. We spoke for an hour. I ended up calling her (she was commuting each day to college) each night on the phone once she made it home and we talked for hours. After 2-3 weeks of doing that, she agrees to go out with me. When I picked her up she acted a bit different at first. We still had a blast and stayed out till dawn. Then went out again, almost every night for weeks. Finally she told me what was up. All those times we been talking and until I pulled up for our date, she assumed she was talking to someone else named Sammy! LOL
One month later we got an apartment together. Twelve months later married. During the next 4 years (2) sons arrived. We have now been stuck together like glue for 45 years this October. So, two sons and three grandkids. Those 45 years seem like 45 days sometimes and then 450 years other times! ;)

Back