How did you meet your wife/husband/partner/significant other?

Was thinking about this yesterday, it seems most people have some kind of interesting story about how they met. A little back ground: after many many years of being single I decided to try a couple of the better known dating apps. Never really worked out and about 6-8 months ago I gave up and deleted them, I was also tired of paying for them. Fast forward recently and while hauling lime out of a quarry I don’t often go to I met a girl who is 4 years younger than myself that is the inbound and outbound scale operator. She is hoping to move into a loader when a position becomes available. Got to talking and found out she is divorced with a 2 year old daughter.

First date outside of chatting in the scales is this weekend. Everything is going unbelievably good so far. Everything just seems to “click” as they say.

The story she tells her parents: She was at a local diner and I stopped in to ask directions and we got to talking...

The actual story: We met online in a chat room. She was divorced and I was separated. She gave me her phone number after a short chat online and we talked that night for about an hour. That was a Wednesday. I was heading out of down on a business trip and got back home on Sunday morning. We went out Sunday night on a date and have been together ever since.

I worked with my wife's sister for a few years. Then one day (i was 19 at the time) she said "My little sister is starting here next week". My immediate annoying answer was "Is she single?". 13 years later we are still together.
I’ve never been know for having a way with words. As soon as she said she was divorced my immediate reply was “well are you looking for a new husband?” Fortunately she said yes and we traded numbers.

At a hospital party heavily attended by young, single nurses. One attractive blonde had a bit too much to drink and knocked a large planter off the piano. She was visibly embarrassed by her clumsiness and I volunteered to help her clean up the mess.

So we met under a piano which she actually could play very well. That was almost fifty years ago. We're still making music today.

piano.jpg

Northface warehouse.. I was security and she was one of the pickers. Something about her clicked with me. Fast forward we was already married then they had a problem with it. We get asked this alot.. farm boy from mid Missouri and a Lao girl. She's always fit in perfectly with my family. 17 years in August.

Last edited:
20 years ago on Match.com before most people knew it existed.
I honestly believe it doesnt get better than the life we share and know my wife is just as proud.
Just recently a family member commented to me about this too.

I had been on a month long sequestered training exercise at Camp Mackall when I was stationed at Fort Bragg. When I was finally released from duty I returned back to post, dumped all of my gear and weapons at the armory and headed into town for some much needed R&R. My first stop was my normal watering hole and they had a new waitress. I asked her out that night and we've been together ever since. That was 35 years ago.

Maybe I should have stayed with my team. It'd have been safer. :)

Good luck! Hope things go well for you.

After being divorced for years and striking out on match.com, I was content with being single. I was having a game night at my house, and my fraternity brother I stayed in touch with asked if he could invite the recently divorced lady from the sorority that my fraternity used to hang out with in college. I knew of her back then but we never got to know each other. Well, shortly after that game night she started taking a keen interest, and we gradually got to know each other. Then she and my fraternity brother were planning to come to opening night for a play I was in, but at the last minute he bailed out. I think he planned it that way to get the two of us on our first date, and that was back in 2014. We'll be married 6 years this July.

We met at work. She had married young, was unhappy and was recently separated. She was also very quiet, very shy and very cute. I flirted with her mercilessly because I enjoyed making her blush and laugh, and our coworker friends hoped we would get together. We did. That was almost 20 years ago.

I went to HS with her cousin.. Her cousin was also friends with another girl I dated.
Seems like her cousin played a pivotal role in who I dated long term....but strangely enough, I never dated her.

I worked at a mom-and-pop auto parts store and tire shop. the tire changers were done with her car, and it was raining so I volunteered to get her car a drive it up to the front of the store,30 years later we're still married..

I met my wife almost 15 years ago on the dating site okcupid.com. I’m not sure if it’s free now, but it was back then. I’ve heard they changed more to a tinder-like setup where you say yay or nay based on the picture. I’m not for that kind of change. I’m really not the guy who would approach a woman at a bar, or go to a bar/club in general. I’ve only been on two first dates that weren’t a woman I met online. One was a friend of a woman I met online, and the other was a woman my mom fixed me up with (they met at an Avon cosmetics party). In May, my wife and I will be 13 years married.

College. Dated a few times, getting a bit more involved when I pledged a frat. "Drunk, loser without a plan..." were the then parting remarks IIRC. She was right.....

Had many common friends so, we reconnected after her grad school and I grew up.

In 1979 at Shaw AFB.SC. I worked as a weather forecaster in the base operation building... Next to us was the inflight kitchen....Thats were you got box lunches prior to flying..We would talk to each other and then it took off from there...We got married on December 31st 1980....

Back