Honda dealers are just as bad as

Insert every other brand. I contacted the highest Google rated dealer for a quote on a car. They replied with a quote of $12K OTD over MSRP. They had the following on the quote.

Service contract $3495
Maintenance contract $1395
Window etch $249
Elite loyalty program $799
Cilajet $995
Vehicle prep $199

I replied back I don’t want or need any of those add ons. I also told them that Honda pays the dealer to PDI the car, it’s printed right on the window sticker. They came back and said every car sold has to come with the Loyalty program and window etch. So you have to pay $800 to join their loyalty program, all right. These are the benefits you get from this loyalty program.

• Complimentary 1st oil change
  • 15% off parts and labor
  • 50% off tire rotations
  • 20% off rear differential flush / transmission service / coolant flush
  • 10% off paintless dent repair (requires appointment)
  • Complimentary check engine light diagnosis
  • Complimentary multi-point inspection with any service
  • One free alignment per year
  • Free car wash with service visit
  • Complimentary loaner vehicle with any major service*
  • 15% off aftermarket accessories
  • $250 off any extended service contract
  • $150 off Honda maintenance program
  • $500 additional trade-in guarantee
So, you are just pre paying for these items. P.T. Barnum was right, there’s a sucker born every minute. I take Google reviews with a grain of salt, seeing most are fake and done by the dealers employees or family. I usually read the negative ones first. The dealers will continue to play these games as long as their are stupid people willing to pay for them.

This was a dealer that proclaimed to not have any dealer markups!

In my opinion the pandemic obliterated customer service in the sales industry, particularly vehicle sales. Any salesman I've talked to in the last year or two just seems to not care. Pretty sad state, and I will remember them when things turn around.

Insert every other brand. I contacted the highest Google rated dealer for a quote on a car. They replied with a quote of $12K OTD over MSRP. They had the following on the quote.

Service contract $3495
Maintenance contract $1395
Window etch $249
Elite loyalty program $799
Cilajet $995
Vehicle prep $199

I replied back I don’t want or need any of those add ons. I also told them that Honda pays the dealer to PDI the car, it’s printed right on the window sticker. They came back and said every car sold has to come with the Loyalty program and window etch. So you have to pay $800 to join their loyalty program, all right. These are the benefits you get from this loyalty program.

• Complimentary 1st oil change
  • 15% off parts and labor
  • 50% off tire rotations
  • 20% off rear differential flush / transmission service / coolant flush
  • 10% off paintless dent repair (requires appointment)
  • Complimentary check engine light diagnosis
  • Complimentary multi-point inspection with any service
  • One free alignment per year
  • Free car wash with service visit
  • Complimentary loaner vehicle with any major service*
  • 15% off aftermarket accessories
  • $250 off any extended service contract
  • $150 off Honda maintenance program
  • $500 additional trade-in guarantee
So, you are just pre paying for these items. P.T. Barnum was right, there’s a sucker born every minute. I take Google reviews with a grain of salt, seeing most are fake and done by the dealers employees or family. I usually read the negative ones first. The dealers will continue to play these games as long as their are stupid people willing to pay for them.

This was a dealer that proclaimed to not have any dealer markups!
I quoted the whole thing.

WOW. What a heaping, steaming pile of stinking excrement.

They either were drooling or laughing when the wrote that up for you.....not sure which is worse.

I mean that's worthy of raising up and saying: This is what is wrong with car sales in the USA!

IMO, there are only two valid reasons to be buying a car right now: 1) unavoidable need or 2) a desire to meet and interface with Ben Dover.
Following up on this "Offer" would fall into category #2.
When the recession fully takes hold and the supply situation sorts itself out, is when things will trend back towards a buyers market.
I buy cars using e-mail, and I personally like offers like this because the dealer in question shows their rump and shows what a (insert the expletive of your choice here) they really are. Makes for easy vetting.

It’s so hard to find any dealer that just sells the car or truck without them putting crap on you don’t want or need on them.
You can ask the admin/mods here to modify your thread title to include other brands

Classic Auto Group in Galveston doesn't add anything to any vehicle. Mine is Ford and they also have GM, Honda and I'm not sure what else. Bit of a drive from WA though.

Two weeks ago I had oil pressure switch failure on Pilot. Barely made it from Denver. Read codes, P3400. Symptoms of failing switch: transmission shudder.
I really didn’t ask my father in law did he check that shudder or not. Anyway, changed switch, no shudder anymore.
In laws come last week for two weeks and my FIL says he took car 3 times to Honda for that, and they said they couldn’t figure it out.

how are people getting financing with purchase prices well over MSRP? Back 2 decades ago when I was in the business we could only finance up to MSRP (and maybe plus tax, title and license).

Most people also didn't have any money to put down and were upside down in their trades, too.

Location must have a lot to do with it. I just bought a ‘22 JGC. The dealer offered $1000 below MSRP and I was able to talk them down another $1000. I see a lot of new JGC’s around here (at least 5 in my neighborhood). I’m in Lansing area and they’re assembled in Detroit.

You should reply to their reply and ask if they can go ahead and order all the replacement glass that they messed up....

I fell for the window etch once in the past. They put in on crooked on the drivers window and every time I looked out that window, all I saw was the crooked numbers. 😡

I put automotive dealerships, (you insert the brand), into the same category as visiting a urologist. 1). I only go when it's absolutely necessary. And 2). I do so because I know exactly how both of their fingers work.

Back