Honda dealers are just as bad as

They came back and said every car sold has to come with the Loyalty program and window etch.
Even it was below MSRP I'd tell them no way unless there is no window etching. Some dealers cause there own lack of business.

I recently had an original Honda battery failed on me in my wife's Pilot (won't charge, won't jump start), and it was less than 3yrs old. Free replacement since it's within 3yrs window, right? wrong. Took the battery out, drove my civic over there, gave the paperwork, battery and kindly asked to test it and replaced. Was greeted with a big fat no and was advised to drive back home, put the battery back in the pilot and have it towed here so they can test it in the vehicle. Good job Honda. That's the second time I'm being ripped off in the same dealership service department. Good thing I remembered about it, need to leave them a nice review.
There will never come a day for Japanese manufacturers to figure out batteries.

Every dealership tries the same nonsense.

If the program has to come with the car, then you either throw it in at no charge or I walk .

Cars are commodities.

I LOVE going to the dealer to buy cars for family. I tell them the price I want, get their best offer in writing and proceed to have that quote chipped away by other dealers until my price point is met. No doc fees, taxes included, appearance packages, nothing.

You have to be willing to say no, forget it, and walk away, have them call you back.

That plan has gone out the window now since supply is down, and dealers can commit crimes against humanity with car pricing. I can't wait until the chip / everything shortage is over and car lots fill back up.

There will never come a day for Japanese manufacturers to figure out batteries.
The battery in my 05 Scion lasted 10 years in extreme temps. It was a Japanese built Panasonic though, only had to top off the cells once. I would pay extra for an imported battery. I'm installing my 3rd (Costco) battery now in the past 7 years. Heck, if I ever travel to Japan, I'm mailing back car batteries.

I contacted pretty much every Honda dealer within 150 miles. They’re all the same, theft protection, paint protection, yada yada. Then they’re smug about people buying every unit that comes on the lot. I been replying
“ a fool and their money is soon parted” . I guess the average American has more money then brains these days to just throw money into the fire.

The battery in my 05 Scion lasted 10 years in extreme temps. It was a Japanese built Panasonic though, only had to top off the cells once. I would pay extra for an imported battery. I'm installing my 3rd (Costco) battery now in the past 7 years. Heck, if I ever travel to Japan, I'm mailing back car batteries.
The good battery in Scion should last long. It is a simple vehicle. I always stay amazed how in both Toyota's and Mazda, OE batteries died right at 3yrs mark, and out of nowhere. Just one morning, not hot or cold, cars did not want to start.

I contacted pretty much every Honda dealer within 150 miles. They’re all the same, theft protection, paint protection, yada yada. Then they’re smug about people buying every unit that comes on the lot. I been replying
“ a fool and their money is soon parted” . I guess the average American has more money then brains these days to just throw money into the fire.
Buyers have almost 0 negotiating power now. I feel sorry for those that need to buy another vehicle. New or used, you are paying too much. The day the lots are full again, watch the sales department change their tune. Their argument that someone already wants the car or supply is low will evaporate, despite their lies, if you walk out, they will call you back.

Only buy the manufacturers warranty not some 3rd party plan the dealer pushes designed to disqualify you from having warranty covered engine repair because you didn't rotate tires (happened here to a BITOG). These 3rd party warranties will also use junk yard / cheapest aftermarket parts known to man to fix you car at the dealer of all places.

Insert every other brand. I contacted the highest Google rated dealer for a quote on a car. They replied with a quote of $12K OTD over MSRP. They had the following on the quote.

Service contract $3495
Maintenance contract $1395
Window etch $249
Elite loyalty program $799
Cilajet $995
Vehicle prep $199

I replied back I don’t want or need any of those add ons. I also told them that Honda pays the dealer to PDI the car, it’s printed right on the window sticker. They came back and said every car sold has to come with the Loyalty program and window etch. So you have to pay $800 to join their loyalty program, all right. These are the benefits you get from this loyalty program.

• Complimentary 1st oil change
  • 15% off parts and labor
  • 50% off tire rotations
  • 20% off rear differential flush / transmission service / coolant flush
  • 10% off paintless dent repair (requires appointment)
  • Complimentary check engine light diagnosis
  • Complimentary multi-point inspection with any service
  • One free alignment per year
  • Free car wash with service visit
  • Complimentary loaner vehicle with any major service*
  • 15% off aftermarket accessories
  • $250 off any extended service contract
  • $150 off Honda maintenance program
  • $500 additional trade-in guarantee
So, you are just pre paying for these items. P.T. Barnum was right, there’s a sucker born every minute. I take Google reviews with a grain of salt, seeing most are fake and done by the dealers employees or family. I usually read the negative ones first. The dealers will continue to play these games as long as their are stupid people willing to pay for them.

This was a dealer that proclaimed to not have any dealer markups!
$799 for that program isn't bad if you keep the car for at least 5 years. An alignment is $150.

Buyers have almost 0 negotiating power now. I feel sorry for those that need to buy another vehicle. New or used, you are paying too much. The day the lots are full again, watch the sales department change their tune. Their argument that someone already wants the car or supply is low will evaporate, despite their lies, if you walk out, they will call you back.

Only buy the manufacturers warranty not some 3rd party plan the dealer pushes designed to disqualify you from having warranty covered engine repair because you didn't rotate tires (happened here to a BITOG). These 3rd party warranties will also use junk yard / cheapest aftermarket parts known to man to fix you car at the dealer of all places.
It depends on the competition.
I ordered Sienna at Denver dealership. No markup, nothing, just $599 dealer handling fee. OK.
Got a call from a dealership in Pueblo, CO, and I said: well, you do mark up, right? And the lady said: well, yes, the market is like that now. I said: nope, Denver dealerships do not do markup, so I went with them. She said she would call me back after talking to her manager.
Right now it is hard to get good deal below MSRP, especially certain vehicles, but you would be surprised what Google and few calls can do.

I recently had an original Honda battery failed on me in my wife's Pilot (won't charge, won't jump start), and it was less than 3yrs old. Free replacement since it's within 3yrs window, right? wrong. Took the battery out, drove my civic over there, gave the paperwork, battery and kindly asked to test it and replaced. Was greeted with a big fat no and was advised to drive back home, put the battery back in the pilot and have it towed here so they can test it in the vehicle. Good job Honda. That's the second time I'm being ripped off in the same dealership service department. Good thing I remembered about it, need to leave them a nice review.

Not being funny but I’ve not worked for any brand that you can walk in with a battery and expect them to give you a new one because you say it’s off a vehicle with 3 years warranty.

To process a warranty claim on a battery I have to do a full vehicle scan with Odis, check the history data in the battery for signs of neglect or battery drain. If neither are present amp clamp the earth and set it to record for 12 hours then check the data. If no drain is found then perform a alternator test via Odis to prove it’s fine. If it passes all of the above then do 2x battery tests one with a miditronix (sp) VAG specific tester and another with Odis. the battery ideally needs to fail both otherwise I’ve got to charge it for at least 24 hours possibly 48 depending on battery type then retest.

My point is it’s not your dealer being awkward and leaving them a poor review just makes you look like one of those customers.

No markup, nothing, just $599 dealer handling fee. OK.
Technically $599 is markup. Better than many offer I'm sure, but still something. My dealer didn't add a single dollar and I got a $500 rebate from Ford. That went up this month to $1250 so I was 6 weeks too early but that's ok.

Technically $599 is markup. Better than many offer I'm sure, but still something. My dealer didn't add a single dollar and I got a $500 rebate from Ford. That went up this month to $1250 so I was 6 weeks too early but that's ok.
Well, in current situation when particular model delivery time is 8-12mos, it is ok.

The Honda dealership once told me I needed new power steering fluid despite changing it no joke one day prior.

"Whoops! Sorry must have been that other Civic!".

My favorite was a fleet vehicle that they claimed needed a ton of repairs including ball joints, a heater core and a ton of maintenance. The shop was on the way home so I stopped by. When they couldn't show me any play in the ball joints, and the leaking heater core turned out to be a soda that had been spilled, the guy told me the tech that originally checked the vehicle out went home for the day, 🤣 even though he seemed clearly familiar with it.

The loyalty program is a new one...LOL

What is Cilajet?

I hate this worthless addon crap. Be upfront and just call it an ADM. Window etching...what a bunch of scammers.
Our sales dept did Cilajet for a while, now they do "Xzilon" which is basically the same thing I think. Of course I have to babysit it and make nothing on it. I don't even want to know how much they are making on it up front.

Our sales dept did Cilajet for a while, now they do "Xzilon" which is basically the same thing I think. Of course I have to babysit it and make nothing on it. I don't even want to know how much they are making on it up front.

Do you mind sharing the application process?

Do you mind sharing the application process?
From what I saw the detail guys do: wash the car and then wipe the stuff on with a microfiber and then buff with with the same microfiber. For "trucks and SUVs" we would hand out 2 bottles. I think I am out right now, but I seem to remember them being like a double shot size. I really try to not pay a lot of attention to whatever goes on up front, makes my head hurt less.

Back