Honda dealers are just as bad as

I LOVE going to the dealer to buy cars for family. I tell them the price I want, get their best offer in writing and proceed to have that quote chipped away by other dealers until my price point is met. No doc fees, taxes included, appearance packages, nothing.

I only set foot into a dealership to test drive. Once I do that and figure out what I want, I then go to the vehicles website and build the exact model, including ALL the options. Save the build and then it's assigned a number. Then figure out what approximate dealer invoice is and use that as your guide to shoot for. This can be found online. It's probably not exactly what the dealership paid for it, but it gives you a ballpark to shoot for. Then go back online to the manufacture's website and email EVERY SINGLE dealership within the area you are willing to travel to take delivery. I basically typed up the email and then copy/paste it. Make sure the email Includes the build number you received from when you built it on the website, as the dealer can access this exact build on their end to keep an apples to apples comparison between dealers. Then just hope you get at least two willing to deal, once you have at least two, then use it as leverage against the other one(s). Keep going till there is only one standing. Again, this is all done via email.....no person to person. Sales tactics don't work very well over email, and you have access to all the information you need to make an informed decision. When you are in person they can use every single sales tactic in the book. The last car I ordered, June '21, I emailed 23 dealerships in total. I only had 3 or 4 willing to deal, due to supply issues and the demand. I played one off the other till there was one left standing. Ended up getting the car for well under dealer invoice. Took delivery of it in August '21. A few months later, due to used car prices soaring, I could have literally made anywhere from $8-10,000 on it......and I paid $27,500 for it!

I only set foot into a dealership to test drive. Once I do that and figure out what I want, I then go to the vehicles website and build the exact model, including ALL the options. Save the build and then it's assigned a number. Then figure out what approximate dealer invoice is and use that as your guide to shoot for. This can be found online. It's probably not exactly what the dealership paid for it, but it gives you a ballpark to shoot for. Then go back online to the manufacture's website and email EVERY SINGLE dealership within the area you are willing to travel to take delivery. I basically typed up the email and then copy/paste it. Make sure the email Includes the build number you received from when you built it on the website, as the dealer can access this exact build on their end to keep an apples to apples comparison between dealers. Then just hope you get at least two willing to deal, once you have at least two, then use it as leverage against the other one(s). Keep going till there is only one standing. Again, this is all done via email.....no person to person. Sales tactics don't work very well over email, and you have access to all the information you need to make an informed decision. When you are in person they can use every single sales tactic in the book. The last car I ordered, June '21, I emailed 23 dealerships in total. I only had 3 or 4 willing to deal, due to supply issues and the demand. I played one off the other till there was one left standing. Ended up getting the car for well under dealer invoice. Took delivery of it in August '21. A few months later, due to used car prices soaring, I could have literally made anywhere from $8-10,000 on it......and I paid $27,500 for it!

This is the way. I know someone who got an Acura TLX for no joke $8k under the MSRP by pitting two dealers on each other.

This is the way. I know someone who got an Acura TLX for no joke $8k under the MSRP by pitting two dealers on each other.

I haven't found a dealer (let alone two) in years willing to play that game. Before this supply shortage, I'd just ask for an internet quote. The reasonable dealers would provide a fair itemized quote over email, that was all I needed.

The crooks would refuse to provide pricing and be difficult over phone and email. If they're difficult at that point, it's not going to get any better in person.

bought my wifes Flex (used) from a Mercedes stealership in Chantilly VA. After 2 hours of waiting for them to print out a mountain of paperwork the finance guy went thru the details of everything. He got to the part where they installed Lojack. I stopped him and said we don't want lojack. He said we already installed it, we do that with every car because we are in a high auto theft area. I said well I drove 90 minutes from my home and I don't live in a high auto theft area and I am the consumer and I don't want lojack. He said ok, we will not activate it - I asked is there any cost .. HE SAID NO. Was looking through the mountain of paperwork the next day, and right there it was - they slipped $700 into the price for Lojack. Now we had been looking statewide for a very specific vehicle and they had exactly what we wanted and I still got out the door for less than I was prepared to pay...but the entire experience went from darn near perfect to total outrage when I found that they charged me $700 for something that I told them I did not want. Luckily I was able to move on, I darn near forgot about it ....not really :ROFLMAO:
Sorry but that's on you. Every time I buy a car I check the line item and add it all up myself on my own calculator. Once I found a $20 charge which was just for life insurance on the loan and I had them remove it. If you knew the total cost of the car, you should have realized that you were over by $700. And just for the record, I did buy Lojack once, that was back in the 90s when it meant something. Car never got stolen though so never had to use it, I think I paid like $800-$900 for it back then. My previous cars had been stolen. Then cars started coming with factory antitheft so I never bothered with it afterwards. And I also used an interest rate calculator to make sure they were giving me the interest rate promised, but I haven't financed a car in years.

I contacted pretty much every Honda dealer within 150 miles. They’re all the same, theft protection, paint protection, yada yada. Then they’re smug about people buying every unit that comes on the lot. I been replying
“ a fool and their money is soon parted” . I guess the average American has more money then brains these days to just throw money into the fire.
Why not switch brands? For those types of markups, there's other brands that don't so it can be cheaper switching brands. Sounds like Ford isn't really marking up their cars that much unless it's a high demand model. And someone else here was complaining about not being able to get a good lease deal on a Mercedes C class but at least those are at MSRP.

About this time last year. Took delivery 8/12/21, ordered June 2021. I know things have gotten worse since then.........but they were bad then too.
Things are much worse now. Basically, last September, everything got really tight.
ALso, depends on the model.

Why do people expect dealers to sell a car at or below cost? They don't chisel vendors of anything else they buy. But they expect to buy a car for less than cost. And then they go on forums to tell their story of what an amazing deal they made, better than anyone else ever, and better than the last guy who responded with his amazing deal. Tiresome. And none ever will match my deal where they gave me the car for nothing along with no charge maintenance for the life of the 10 year warranty.

how are people getting financing with purchase prices well over MSRP? Back 2 decades ago when I was in the business we could only finance up to MSRP (and maybe plus tax, title and license).

Most people also didn't have any money to put down and were upside down in their trades, too.
Honestly i think the lenders are nuts. We really need to see something like 10-20% down payment required to have a healthy car market. Keeps the dealers in check and keeps those who really cant afford it out of trouble.

I would also like to see states give people sales tax credit for privately selling their cars. Right now your trade gets lowballed by your sales tax rate automatically because you have no other choice.

I would also like to see used cars of a certain age be exempted from sales tax entirely. Maybe around 7 years old.

And while i have my automotive wish list out: end franchised dealers. Make it optional to get your car at a dealer as well as the option of buying it direct.

Honestly i think the lenders are nuts. We really need to see something like 10-20% down payment required to have a healthy car market. Keeps the dealers in check and keeps those who really cant afford it out of trouble.

I would also like to see states give people sales tax credit for privately selling their cars. Right now your trade gets lowballed by your sales tax rate automatically because you have no other choice.

I would also like to see used cars of a certain age be exempted from sales tax entirely. Maybe around 7 years old.

And while i have my automotive wish list out: end franchised dealers. Make it optional to get your car at a dealer as well as the option of buying it direct.
It's always fun when people want to dictate how they'd run things and turn things into a communist or fascists state. But they always have the best intentions. It's a free market baby. Lenders can do whatever they like. If they get burned too badly, they'll stop lending. People are free to get into trouble, if they're smart, they won't. If they're not, they will. Can't legislate everything.

And if you have a wish list, wish for more wishes or unlimited wishes. I think you're thinking too small if you had a wish list that could come true.

But as for franchised dealerships, they were the ones who supported lawmakers to make it a requirement. There's no real lobby pushing for the opposite and it won't happen.

Why do people expect dealers to sell a car at or below cost? They don't chisel vendors of anything else they buy. But they expect to buy a car for less than cost. And then they go on forums to tell their story of what an amazing deal they made, better than anyone else ever, and better than the last guy who responded with his amazing deal. Tiresome. And none ever will match my deal where they gave me the car for nothing along with no charge maintenance for the life of the 10 year warranty.
I think it’s because they muddy the waters and don’t tell anyone what the car actually cost them, and 10 people can all do the same exact negotiating and get 10 different prices for the same exact vehicle.

Not being funny but I’ve not worked for any brand that you can walk in with a battery and expect them to give you a new one because you say it’s off a vehicle with 3 years warranty.

To process a warranty claim on a battery I have to do a full vehicle scan with Odis, check the history data in the battery for signs of neglect or battery drain. If neither are present amp clamp the earth and set it to record for 12 hours then check the data. If no drain is found then perform a alternator test via Odis to prove it’s fine. If it passes all of the above then do 2x battery tests one with a miditronix (sp) VAG specific tester and another with Odis. the battery ideally needs to fail both otherwise I’ve got to charge it for at least 24 hours possibly 48 depending on battery type then retest.

My point is it’s not your dealer being awkward and leaving them a poor review just makes you look like one of those customers.
yeah, ok, I suppose I'm being one of those customers paying 30% over the market for "best in the class original Honda battery" and 140$ on top of that for installation and expecting dealership to stand up to their warranty claims, and you're being one of the service technicians/service writers . BTW, nowhere on the warranty paperwork does it say that the battery needs to be IN THE CAR for it to be warranted. Nor it is being disclosed at the time of the purchase.

LOL, this might be eligible to replace the chest-beating reply of "I walked 10 miles back and forth to school daily through 3 feet of snow and it was uphill both ways".

Back