High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner

Since the topic has come up a few times I am posting the PDS in the PCMO, Diesel, and Euro sections. This is a safe path to clean varnish and or sludge left behind by other oils. There are no solvents in this oil. It has enough ester to clean but still be safe with elastomers. Simply add a quart to the current oil and can be used for 1-2,000 miles preferably but can be run longer if needed. Changing a filter at 2,000 miles is recommended should you wish to clean further.

Engine-Cleaner.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay! After about 12 hours or so from a very longgggg and occasionally taxing day on the road yesterday, to beat all the New Year's alcohol-induced road nonsense, as well as just to make good time.. I have successfully woken up, cleaned out the car including my remaining 3.5 out of 5 quarts of what I bought from HPI, gotten a Sack Of 10 White Castles, ate them all, gassed up the Chauffeur's Chariot, went to Walmart for some salad and New Year's Eve items, now I finally get to sit down and work on my sugar coma for today. I earned it.

This review and recap (tl;dr - I give this company a 10 out of 10. Higher, if I could) may take several parts, I also have a preliminary review of their Engine Cleaner or EC as they label it, as it has been in my car for about 12 hours/500 miles.. some of them, high speed. :)

**Disclaimer: High speed driving should only be done by either trained professionals, certified nutjobs, or those that just happen to be both. /s Well, maybe not certified nutjobs, but then we can talk about who should and should not even be on the road, let's not derail here and moving on.

Here is a photo of what their engine cleaner looks like. The first thing I noted is, that it doesnt have a multi grade designation to it. It says HP SAE 30 EC and, as I get further into it, these guys are extremely well versed in the SAE J300 spec of designations. These guys know their stuff.

20211231_101858.jpg

The address on the bottle is, in fact, where I had to travel quite a distance to get to. Great facility. Great. Super modern.

20211231_102537.jpg

Oh, they also have this guy's clone working there. (For those thathat watch or have watched Criminal Minds)

images.jpeg
Matthew-Gray-Gubler-1900x1568.jpg

Hey, guys at HPI, tell me if you get the reference and why I say that now lol.

Last edited:
Quick question,
I plan on using the HPL cleaner,

Perhaps I missed it, but is one type of oil better to use with HPL EC?
Synyhetic, Conventional, Euro, HDMO?

I recall another brand (small company, member) years ago that was popular on BITOG recommending convention oil for best rests.

Does it matter with HPL?

Thanks,
~C

It really does not matter. Ideally adding the cleaner to an existing oil is best so we can clean without spending money on a fresh charge of oil. The exception of course would be if there is knowledge of a lot of deposits in the engine where over saturating the dispersant package in the used oil may be an issue.

Quick question,
I plan on using the HPL cleaner,

Perhaps I missed it, but is one type of oil better to use with HPL EC?
Synyhetic, Conventional, Euro, HDMO?

I recall another brand (small company, member) years ago that was popular on BITOG recommending convention oil for best rests.

Does it matter with HPL?

Thanks,
~C
Do you mean AutoRX? Their product quietened the lifters on a Ford 4.6 Modular engine for me within about 500 miles. Ran it another 75,000 miles without a single "tick"! That was a good product. I still have a bottle of it, but, it's perhaps too old to use any longer.

Thanks HPL. I'm due for an oil change soon, so thought I would order the EC this weekend.

I was having excessive oil consumption to the tune of 1qt / 800 miles.
I picked up M1 HM 10w40 to (maybe) help curb the consumption. Haven't changed the oil yet, but I did pull the valve cover, cleaned the pcv baffle built into the VC and that took care of the consumption on my 13 Suburban with 5.3. Rockers looked ok, no sludge, but the back side of the valve cover was not great. Was coked, ooked like black baked on something. Got that cleaned with a long solvent soak. I also installed a catch can that day. Now 1200 miles later and there is less than 2 oz in the can. Oil level still shows full.

Current fill is Castrol 0w40, I'll change the oil with the 10w40 since I have it on hand when the HPL EC comes in.
~C

Attachments

• 20220122_115143.jpg
    20220122_115143.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 286
  • 20220122_115145.jpg
    20220122_115145.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 283
  • 20220122_115217.jpg
    20220122_115217.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 20220122_115443.jpg
    20220122_115443.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Thanks HPL. I'm due for an oil change soon, so thought I would order the EC this weekend.

I was having excessive oil consumption to the tune of 1qt / 800 miles.
I picked up M1 HM 10w40 to (maybe) help curb the consumption. Haven't changed the oil yet, but I did pull the valve cover, cleaned the pcv baffle built into the VC and that took care of the consumption on my 13 Suburban with 5.3. Rockers looked ok, no sludge, but the back side of the valve cover was not great. Was coked, ooked like black baked on something. Got that cleaned with a long solvent soak. I also installed a catch can that day. Now 1200 miles later and there is less than 2 oz in the can. Oil level still shows full.

Current fill is Castrol 0w40, I'll change the oil with the 10w40 since I have it on hand when the HPL EC comes in.
~C
A fair bit of varnish there, but looks pretty typical for an engine that hasn't been pampered.

Per the UOA - do you think that the addition of the 1 qt of high-ester HPL EC (30W) actually helped maintain the viscosity of the LM Molygen this go. Ran the engine cleaner for 1.8K miles.
OilReports-page-001.jpg

I got some laymen questions...

If I'm reading right, the last oil viscosity was lower than the current viscosity, was the last oil molygen? Previous samples are also higher, what oil were those?
And, if last oci and this were the same oil, does that mean the 30wt of EC helped the viscosity?
Thanks for helping me understand
~C

I Put in EC last night at 147,125 miles.

I thought the removal and cleaning of my valve cover PCV baffle soled my consumption problem. It reduced it a lot, but still consuming oil. Was half qt low after 1300 or so miles.

If I'm reading right, the last oil viscosity was lower than the current viscosity, was the last oil molygen? Previous samples are also higher, what oil were those?
And, if last oci and this were the same oil, does that mean the 30wt of EC helped the viscosity?
~C
Here they are:

52,0516,215LM Molygen 5W40engine flush, Stage 2+ IS38, track
57,0344,983Mobil 1 FS 0W40
60,7583,724QSUD Full Synthetic Euro 5W40
65,5504,792Mobil 1 FSx2 5W40
69,4663,916LM Molygen 5W40
engine flush, MoS2, track
73,1933,727LM Molygen 5W40engine flush, HPL engine cleaner

~C
I wouldn't read too much into it. The engine cleaner is straight 30w ester with no VII's.

I've been thinking about trying this in the Project xB
Wonder how well it can clean up presumed carbon impacted oil control rings 🤔
I'm keeping a keen eye out for before/after pictures

Would this cleaner remove varnish staining on metal? It appears to be light staining. Just thought i would ask. Ty

I wouldn't read too much into it. The engine cleaner is straight 30w ester with no VII's.
Not quite.

Please see post #7 here:

Back