High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner

Not quite.

Please see post #7 here:

I'd imagine fairly heavy ester based on the treat rate.

Not quite.

Please see post #7 here:

I imagine fairly heavy amount based on the treat rate.

The PDS (product data sheet) you're mentioning is likely a document that provides detailed information about a specific oil product, including its composition, properties, and recommended usage. The information you've provided suggests that this oil is designed to clean varnish and sludge left behind by other oils, and that it contains no solvents. It is also safe for use with elastomers, meaning it won't cause damage to rubber or other types of elastic materials. The recommended usage is to add a quart of this oil to your current oil and run it for 1-2,000 miles, with a filter change recommended at 2,000 miles for further cleaning. It is important to note that it is always best to consult the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations for any product you are using to ensure safe and effective usage.

I just picked up a 14 MB E350 with 71k on it. It was maintained on the 10k oci by MB dealer. I don't see any evidence of it being real dirty the the oil cap, but thought I'd run the EC for 1k miles. I don't know what kind of oil is in it as I bought it from an Infiniti dealer. It calls for 7.5 qts. Should I run the 30wt of the 40 wt.EC? Think one qt will do a good enough job? I know it calls for 1 per 5qts.

I just picked up a 14 MB E350 with 71k on it. It was maintained on the 10k oci by MB dealer. I don't see any evidence of it being real dirty the the oil cap, but thought I'd run the EC for 1k miles. I don't know what kind of oil is in it as I bought it from an Infiniti dealer. It calls for 7.5 qts. Should I run the 30wt of the 40 wt.EC? Think one qt will do a good enough job? I know it calls for 1 per 5qts.
I would match it to whatever weight oil you are running in it which I *think* is a xW40 Euro oil.

I'd consider running it longer. Shouldn't hurt anything. Some have run it out to 5k. I just added 1.25 quarts 30W EC to 6.75 quarts of Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 LL04 oil to my 2001 E39 540 M-Sport M62 with 346,000 miles. I will run it at least to 3750...maybe all the way to my normal 7,500 mile OCI I have done since new. No sludging or anything...just golden color inside oil cap. Just doing this because I get an occasional vanos knock on cold or hot start. Figured it couldn't hurt to give this a try. If I change at 3750, I will do another 3750 at the same ratio of EC to Pennzoil Euro L.

Per the UOA - do you think that the addition of the 1 qt of high-ester HPL EC (30W) actually helped maintain the viscosity of the LM Molygen this go. Ran the engine cleaner for 1.8K miles.
View attachment 90421
You should send these tests to NAPA oil analysis(ATL?) It’s cheaper and includes tbn and soot counts.

The hazard of routinely visiting the BITOG forums is that you purchase $96 worth of engine cleaner just to see what comes out of your engine.
Why so much? I had to use 2 qts for my Passat because of the 9 qt fill following their directions.

Why so much? I had to use 2 qts for my Passat because of the 9 qt fill following their directions

Well.. five quarts is what I figured I'd need for my five vehicles but that extra quart wasn't much more. I have one older Direct Injection engine in the fleet and I think that one is getting a long-term maintenance dose.

I'll have to read more. Any issue with running the HPL EC for 5000-7500 miles? I just want to add some in place of a qt to maybe do some added clean up on the older rides. No major burning issues just varnish staining that I can see. Does the filter need to be changed every 2k? All of mine have had either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum since I started maintaining

The rides that would get the HPL EC:
2008 CRV 2.4L with 223k on it. It was a hand me down that whatever dealer bulk oil was used for first 210k. We got it 2 years ago.
2010 Forte 2.0L with 180k on it. Unknown but was a Firestone and PepBoys maintained by prior owner. Had it 2 years, got it with 140k.
2017 Accord with 95k on it. Got it with 49k on it, trade in at a Mercedes dealer. Unknown what was done fpr first 50k but no staining on aluminum or dipstick that I can see. Oil stays clean for pretty long time. Starts to use some at about 5k. It is a manual tranny and does get pushed to higher rpm's.

All 3 above have also had 1 round of BG EPR last year to do some cleaning.

2019 Pilot with 50k on it probably not. It's been on 0W20 M1 or PP since new with about 7500 mile changes based on maintenance minder. VCM disabled since about 20k so runs on 6cyl all the time. It has also has LubeGard Bio/Tech in it each change.

Is this the correct method to add EC 30? Change oil and filter. My oil capacity is 4.75 quarts, so add the 1 qt of EC 30 to 3.75 qts of oil? Thanks (and the BITOG discount is still available--thanks advlubrication!).

Last edited:
The instructions on the bottles recommend 1 EC30 to 5 oil (17%). For the 4.75qt capacity that would be .8qt of the EC. Also plan to change filter after 2000 miles from the directions in case it takes a lot of stuff off or do a full change.

As first time that I will be using it in 3 vehicles I'm going to stick closer to the 17% EC recommended but plan to leave it in longer on the OCI. I will change the filter after about 2k and cut it open to see.

All the 3 did get a BG EPR flush last year also.

The instructions on the bottles recommend 1 EC30 to 5 oil (17%). For the 4.75qt capacity that would be .8qt of the EC. Also plan to change filter after 2000 miles from the directions in case it takes a lot of stuff off or do a full change.

As first time that I will be using it in 3 vehicles I'm going to stick closer to the 17% EC recommended but plan to leave it in longer on the OCI. I will change the filter after about 2k and cut it open to see.

All the 3 did get a BG EPR flush last year also.
Curious how you arrived at 17%. Shouldn't it be 20%--1 divided by 5?

Curious how you arrived at 17%. Shouldn't it be 20%--1 divided by 5?
He added 1 quart of EC to 5 quarts of oil, so the total is 6.

1/6 = 17%. More or less. But that’s not exactly what the directions say…

That said, I think the recommendation is 1 quart IN a 5 quart sump, for a 20% mix. Not added. So, you’re right, that’s the recommendation.

For @Sequoiasoon - I would just add the whole quart of EC and then add 3.75 quarts of your oil. A 21% mix. Close enough and no left over EC.

As I read the directions it is add 1qt EC30 to 5qt oil, 1:5 ratio = 6 qts total at least as I learned math way back. Also how we calculate fluids to add daily at my job for colors etc. What do you guys do with a 1:2, 50:1 etc?

I contacted HPL and they also recommended not going over 1:5 because as part of that I plan to keep it in for 5000-7500 miles but change my filters at 2000 miles so I don't overload them. So I will have it in there longer. When I cut the filters open I'll do the wrap in paper towels so I can see them better and post up for review.

I'm sure I could probably do the full quart but slow is OK for me. I'll probably do it for the next 2-3 changes in each car which might take a while with 2 of them at 5k per year. After that I might get some of HPL's better oil and add a quart in place of my regular. I know some say don't mix chemistries or waste it. I'll need to ask Dave when I get to that point. I've mixed chemistries so many times over the years in different cars with autoRX, MMO, Duralube, LubeGard, Slick 50, LM Mos2 and Ceratec, BG MOA, LUCAS, ZMAX, KREEN, STP.....who here hasn't? At least with HPL oil I'll be adding higher quality oil that cleans better IMO.

IMG_2367.jpg

I stand corrected on the directions. Thank you for showing that photo. I’m using HPL, but haven’t ever used the EC.
I've done other flushes like BG EPR in all of these but that is a regular right before change flush. First time trying the HPL EC. Hoping it doesn't clean too much from the sealed areas in the 223k CRV or 178k Forte.

Why is there no oil listed for the 1932 Packard in your signature? How do you do that to us? A whole lotta Volvo's, No HPL love for the 1 MB or for the Tundra?

Respect for the VERY nice collection!

My son (like me) would probably really like the 6MT V70R. He "borrows" my '17 Accord 6MT whenever he takes trips that don't involve excursions or his fiance's grandparents hunting house/property. Then he takes the wife's Pilot so he can make sure the skid plate still works. :ROFLMAO: The Tundra might even be his top choice. He really likes that the plain 2.4L Accord goes over 500 miles on a tank on trips.

I've done other flushes like BG EPR in all of these but that is a regular right before change flush. First time trying the HPL EC. Hoping it doesn't clean too much from the sealed areas in the 223k CRV or 178k Forte.

Why is there no oil listed for the 1932 Packard in your signature? How do you do that to us? A whole lotta Volvo's, No HPL love for the 1 MB or for the Tundra?

Respect for the VERY nice collection!

My son (like me) would probably really like the 6MT V70R. He "borrows" my '17 Accord 6MT whenever he takes trips that don't involve excursions or his fiance's grandparents hunting house/property. Then he takes the wife's Pilot so he can make sure the skid plate still works. :ROFLMAO: The Tundra might even be his top choice. He really likes that the plain 2.4L Accord goes over 500 miles on a tank on trips.
My oil stash was pretty extensive when I became aware of HPL. So, still have three jugs of Pennzoil UP 5W30 to use up in the Tundra, and another 3 jugs of M1 0W40. There are several jugs of Rotella T6 waiting to go into the Packard once I sort a bad rod bearing. Still a case and a half of AMSOIL 0W30 at my son’s house in Vermont for his 2001 V70 T5.

That car is nearly as quick as my R, by the way. As I was building it for him, I installed an R model manifold, IPD down pipe and cat back. It’s a bit loud for me, but he loves it. It’s lighter, and lacks the drag of the AWD powertrain in the R. No torque limiting in the transmission like automatic R models. It is surprisingly quick.

Still, I’ve got HPL in several cars. I won’t ever do extended drains in the Packard, it doesn’t have much filtration, so, I will get to the point where I’ve got HPL in everything else. The 2002 V70 has HPL becaue my daughter needed an oil change and I said, “let me send you a case” and she had an Indy put that in.

Back