HDEO for extreme temps in an ATV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ol '95 warrior has no oil cooler so that thing runs crazy hot when riding down in the sand pits where you don't get much ground speed up to cool the jug off,they all should have came with coolers back then.

I had a 2005 Yamaha Wolverine 350 that ran the same engine as your Warrior. It also ran pretty hot. It seems like they would put a larger oil cooler on these machines or at least a fan.

That's a good point, but I believe the spec required per the manual 10W40 SF... This engine and drive train are from the mid or late 80's. It seems rotella T is a popular choice among street bike riders too so I feel fairly safe running it. The gear system is similar to the average street bike but we have the 3 speed transfer gears in addition. I don't know if the psi on the transfer gears would be more than the gear box or not? I see the gears are much much larger.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
I had a 2005 Yamaha Wolverine 350 that ran the same engine as your Warrior. It also ran pretty hot. It seems like they would put a larger oil cooler on these machines or at least a fan.

I do think thats why they made it a 3 qt sump to help aide with cooling and longevity of the oil.

I also had the Yamaha Wolverine with the air-cooled 350 (now I have the newer model). My Wolverine ran hot unless you were traveling at a reasonable speed to get flow-though the oil cooler. I always ran synthetic (two quarts 10-30W and one 20-50W) and it shifted easier and I never had a problem.

P.S. you can buy a twin fan system with a shroud for the oil cooler!

The Mobil 1 20W 50 motorcycle is working good, no problems with over heating or bad shifting.

I might buy a cheap Harbor Freight thermometer to see how cool this oil runs vs 15w-40 Delvac 1300 and 5w-40 Rotella T. It may take awhile for results as I'm not draining this $10 a quart liquid gold until it's run it's course!

I hear that!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
That's a good point, but I believe the spec required per the manual 10W40 SF..

In the Arctic Cat, not Suzuki manual, it's stated that 20W 50 can be used in temps above 50 degrees F. 10W 40 is also specified.

My bike starts and runs easier cold with synthetic 20W 50 Mobil 1 than with Mobil Delvac 1300 15W 40. This winter I'm using 5W 40 Rotella T synth to see how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back