ATV/wet clutch oil opinions

I've been reading here and there about different ATV oils for a couple hours. Today I changed the oil in my 2001 Honda 300EX sport quad from Valvoline to Honda GN4 that I got from work. The clutch grabs better and the gearbox seems to shift smoother. But, even with my discount, it's still spendy. If I'm reading right, a lot of folks have used HDEO's in wet clutch applications for a long time. I don't recall the HDEO's having the JASO MA labeling though....so, are they still ok to use? I change my oil frequently, so cost is an issue. Also....if Rotella products can be used, how would the T6 5W-40 do in this machine? Every other small engine I use it in runs cooler and smoother....something I'd like for the 300EX as it gets quite hot on the trails. I'm also open to opinions on other oils like Maxima, Mobil1 4T, Castrol etc. My 300EX appears to be all original, never opened up, and has the original clutch.

T6 will be fine. I've ran it in a bunch of Honda ATVs over the years. Currently have it in a Rincon, a Rancher, a TRX90, a CRF125F, and a CRF250F. Have also ran it in my little guy's KX65 without issue.

T6 will be fine. I've ran it in a bunch of Honda ATVs over the years. Currently have it in a Rincon, a Rancher, a TRX90, a CRF125F, and a CRF250F. Have also ran it in my little guy's KX65 without issue.
My kid has a TRX90 too :D In the 125F and 250F....how is your clutch performance? Believe it or not, I experienced clutch slip in top gear with the Valvoline a couple weeks ago. Did not experience it today with the GN4.

GN4 works but it's nothing special for the price. You don't have to use such an expensive oil. As long as the oil is of the recommenced viscosity and doesn't say "energy conserving" or "resource conserving" on the API circle, you should be OK. Most HDEOs meet this recommendation. In engines having a wet clutch and shared tranny I've had good real-world results and UOA reports with Chevron Delo 400 15w40 and with Mobil1 15w50.

I've got an 81 ATC200 that I've run regular automotive 10w-40 in since the early 90's and its still got the original clutches in it.. I just recently discovered that could potentially be 'bad' and bought some of the atv specific Valvoline 10w-40. I've never changed the oil more often than once every 2-5yrs, but it probably doesn't get 20hrs of riding a year these days.. I rode it quite a bit more when I was younger.

GN4 works but it's nothing special for the price. You don't have to use such an expensive oil. As long as the oil is of the recommenced viscosity and doesn't say "energy conserving" or "resource conserving" on the API circle, you should be OK. Most HDEOs meet this recommendation. In engines having a wet clutch and shared tranny I've had good real-world results and UOA reports with Chevron Delo 400 15w40 and with Mobil1 15w50.
Thank you. Now...I live in Michigan and ride year round....would a 15W-40 in syn blend or full syn be ok for all climates? Or would the 5W-40 be the choice for the cold months?

Thank you. Now...I live in Michigan and ride year round....would a 15W-40 in syn blend or full syn be ok for all climates? Or would the 5W-40 be the choice for the cold months?
The T6 5W40 used to have the MA rating, and I ran it in my 300 kingquad for a couple years. I ran some castrol syntec 5W50 in it in 2006 or so and the clutch started slipping in the cold until the oil warmed up, I switched to T6 5W40 pretty much eliminated 95% of the cold slipping so I ran it for a couple years. Then I switched to rotella t3 15w40 which made all slipping go away but cold starts were tough... I'm now using T4 15W40 and cold starts are pretty good, but I only really run it at -10C and up.

Any off the shelf 10W40 JASO MA rated oil will do.
I tend to follow the manufacturers recommendations for wet clutch applications.
Valvoline or Super Tech 4 Stroke motorcycle oil goes in my Kawasaki Mule.

I'd suggest Rotella 15W-40 or 15W-40 semi synthetic. The 5W-40 shears down pretty quickly according to UOAs posted. My Grizzly turns 20 this year, its all I've ever used in it.

I'd suggest Rotella 15W-40 or 15W-40 semi synthetic. The 5W-40 shears down pretty quickly according to UOAs posted. My Grizzly turns 20 this year, its all I've ever used in it.
I was looking at the Triple Protection T4 15W-40 and it seems to fit the bill. A lot of people were using it in ATV's and motorcycles with good results.

You’ll be fine using HDEO. 300ex is a fun machine. Wheelies well.
"Wheelies well." Yes...a little TOO well....I cannot find the balance point! I either bail out early, or it goes vertical and the grab bar digs in and sticks there :ROFLMAO: Much wheelie practice to do.

Forgot to ask...why/how does a 5W-40 shear faster than a 15W-40?

The T6 5W40 used to have the MA rating, and I ran it in my 300 kingquad for a couple years. I ran some castrol syntec 5W50 in it in 2006 or so and the clutch started slipping in the cold until the oil warmed up, I switched to T6 5W40 pretty much eliminated 95% of the cold slipping so I ran it for a couple years. Then I switched to rotella t3 15w40 which made all slipping go away but cold starts were tough... I'm now using T4 15W40 and cold starts are pretty good, but I only really run it at -10C and up.
That'd be 14 degrees Fahrenheit....in which case, it's too cold for me :ROFLMAO: I might experiment with both the 5W and 15W semi-syn. I normally use the 5W in ALL of my small engine OPE. But if the 15W works better, I'll buy it specifically for my two quads. My daughter runs a TRX90 that likes to rev out to infinity and it beats up the GN4 oil too.

"Wheelies well." Yes...a little TOO well....I cannot find the balance point! I either bail out early, or it goes vertical and the grab bar digs in and sticks there :ROFLMAO: Much wheelie practice to do.
Oh yeah you’ll get the hang of it. The 3 and 400ex are the easiest quads to wheelie imo. 3 wheelers even easier. Warrior/raptor 350 is hardest cause all the weight is in the front.

I rode that Honda Magna (VF750cc 4-cylinder quad cam) with 15w40 down to freezing temps, no problem. But I didn't ride below freezing temps. A 5w40 could be a better choice if you run it below freezing.

Forgot to ask...why/how does a 5W-40 shear faster than a 15W-40?
The theory is that the wider viscosity range means the oil has more viscosity improvers, which are long chain polymer additives that reduce how much the oil thins when it heats up, thus providing a wider viscosity range. These VIs can shear down under the extreme pressures exerted by transmission gears and wet clutches. All else equal, this is true. But all else is not equal. Synthetic oils have a flatter temp vs. viscosity curve, which is a wider viscosity range, so they don't need as many VIs. So a synthetic 5w40 may be more shear stable than a 15w40 mineral oil. Or might not, it depends.

I appreciate everyones input. I found T4 15W-40 at Family Farm and Home for $16.99 a gallon and I'm gonna give it a go. It doesn't say synthetic blend like I thought....is it a blend or not? Either way, the price can't be beat and I'm gonna try it in the mower this year too.

I appreciate everyones input. I found T4 15W-40 at Family Farm and Home for $16.99 a gallon and I'm gonna give it a go. It doesn't say synthetic blend like I thought....is it a blend or not? Either way, the price can't be beat and I'm gonna try it in the mower this year too.
Should work fine in everything for you then.

Which Valvoline were you using? I've had good luck with their Synthetic Motorcycle 10w40 and the regular conventional Motorcycle 10w40 (blue bottle) in a Honda 300 fourtrax 4x4, Yamaha Blaster, and Honda 400ex. I also ran Honda GN4 and Rotella 15w40 T4 in the Hondas. Never really noticed a difference in any of them, except the Rotella 15w40 made the Fourtrax turn over a bit slower when starting it for winter plowing haha.

I've been running Klotz MX-4 Techniplate 10W-40 in my '86 Fourtrax 200SX for years. I originally tried it because it smells nice, but the clutch feel with it, even on the original friction components, is fantastic. There isn't a lot of discourse about this oil online, but I like it. I'm confident that it's going to keep the engine nice and lubricated all the way at the top of the rev range--even being 37 years old.

Back