Happiest Nations in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silk
Yes,but NZ came in 4th.....and Auckland came 4th equal in best city.We are a big glitch in your theory.So I suspect your theory is not a snug fit.

I have no theory. (?)

Originally Posted By: Silk
Yes,but NZ came in 4th.....and Auckland came 4th equal in best city.We are a big glitch in your theory.So I suspect your theory is not a snug fit.

Well actually NZ came in 8th, but again if you read the actual article (not just click through the slides) it does weigh economics and unemployment along with a survey:

Quote:
Some sample questions: Did you enjoy something you did yesterday? Were you proud of something you did yesterday? Did you learn something yesterday? Were you treated with respect yesterday? In each country, a representative sample of no more than 1,000 people, age 15 or older, were surveyed. The poll was scored numerically on a scale of 1-100. The average score was 62.4.

I think this is not a real scientific "thing"......
grin2.gif

I don't know
54.gif
It rated Canada high. Everyone knows that everyone likes Canadians. Being well liked by so many ..should make you a happy people
21.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
They were NOT happy in the 50's, with soviets knocking at their door!

My uncle had a grand time collecting cuckoo clocks and ornate beer steins during the 50's through the 70's. Tourists with guns. The daily PT kept him in shape.

Wow! I saw the Danish movie "How to get rid of the others" this weekend, Not the sort of movie I thought would come out of a Nanny state country.
I wonder how the concept of this movie would go down if it were made/released in North America?

Quote:
Brief Summary:
When it is discovered that the least productive 5% of Danish society consumes 60% of government spending, the conservative politicians decide to quietly eradicate the problem.

Full Description:
"HOW TO GET RID OF OTHERS" grew out of the debate we have in Denmark, I don't know how much you know about it. Denmark is one of the European countries who joined the coalition of the willing and has the most strict immigration policy in Europe that is bordering on being racist and has an extreme right wing government much like the one in the US. Out of this debate where they always ask foreigners how much are you worth, what do you do for the Danish society, why should we support you financially, why are you so dumb, why is your religion no good, why are your children dumber than the real Danish children? Everyday in the newspaper foreigners are confronted with this. If we applied the debate in Denmark onto ourselves, what would it look like? This is how HOW TO GET RID OF THE OTHERS came about." (Anders Ronnow Klarlund)

That's not all that bad a model, really. It's a community that has its standards for how they want to live. Shape up or ship out. Easy enough to reason. In the shallow analysis, it doesn't , by design, make some segments of their society useless eaters. They have to sensibly manage their business/education/trade/ and peak attainment of accumulated wealth. They can have virtually no economic growth unless they are willing to accept poverty too.

We live by economic growth, hence we will have ever increasing levels of poverty. It's an unavoidable condition.

Said another way. If you don't like poverty, don't ever look to any economic recovery to reduce it. It will only, ultimately, make it grow.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
BITOG's auto-censor can help us all improve our lexicon.
grin2.gif
You may posts the following synonyms:

Abaddon, Gehenna, Hades, bottomless pit, everlasting fire, fire and brimstone, infernal regions, inferno, netherworld, pandemonium, perdition, pit, place of torment, purgatory, underworld

Looks like you would make an ideal person to make a good list of alternate swear words that are acceptable...... My fav is everlasting fire.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
We live by economic growth, hence we will have ever increasing levels of poverty.

What a crock of [censored].

Sweden has (or had) no poverty. Guess what else they do not have?

Will you state as FACT that we are NOT a poorer nation today than we were in all years prior?

Will you state that you're NOT in a nation that is losing money?

If you admit to this obvious FACT, then either we're all getting poorer and living on the same profile ..or for any ONE to attain wealth, it MUST be a result of someone getting poorer (on average).

If you can trump the physics of the machinery, pal. I'm now your best friend.
grin2.gif

Template total debt along the same lines, Tempest, include currency valuation while you're at it. The figures are not correlated to how "future poor" the current producers are that maintain the poverty level. Hence, the current people above the poverty line are just future poor ..all in due time.

We're borrowing to keep the ship afloat. Anyone who is gaining on the curve HAS to do it on someone falling behind it.

What you refuse to acknowledge is that debt is just future poverty and an unsustainable modality of existence.

Quote:
What you refuse to acknowledge is that debt is just future poverty and an unsustainable modality of existence.

Not at all. In fact, I am in full agreement. What you don't realize is that the "poor" and bottom 40% do not currently pay for any of that debt.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:

Not at all. In fact, I am in full agreement. What you don't realize is that the "poor" and bottom 40% do not currently pay for any of that debt.

I'd venture to say that they also didn't, by intent or action, create it either. The physics of the machinery did it for them.

Quote:
The physics of the machinery did it for them.

What machinery would that be?

Quote:
I'd venture to say that they also didn't, by intent or action, create it either.

Welfare, Social Security, Medicare...

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Sweden has (or had) no poverty. Guess what else they do not have?

Will you state as FACT that we are NOT a poorer nation today than we were in all years prior?

Will you state that you're NOT in a nation that is losing money?

If you admit to this obvious FACT, then either we're all getting poorer and living on the same profile ..or for any ONE to attain wealth, it MUST be a result of someone getting poorer (on average).

If you can trump the physics of the machinery, pal. I'm now your best friend.
grin2.gif

They don't have a bunch of slugs. They don't have a lot of things. We aren't Sweden, we will never have everyone on that same page. Too large and diverse and too many open borders. People will not give up the freedoms.

We are poor in many ways in this country. We are mostly poor as of late in "get off your [censored] and improve your situation" spirit. We are poor in discipline and think we can buy our way out of every problem. I still maintain if you actually work, you can make it. But our government seems to really want to clamp down on this idea with a few breaks in the last 75 years.

Frankly, just more "whoa is me" garbage. Get off the backside and do the right thing and don't expect the freakin' goverment to save the day. Not going to happen.

BUT you said "We live by economic growth, hence we will have ever increasing levels of poverty" and that remains and crock of [censored]. You have NOT proven it. The silly thing is I'm actually responding to your tripe.

Make us all Einsteins, Pabs. Which 8% are going to be sucking up for a job. How many are going to be on welfare? How many are going to be flipping burgers?

Do you think we'll be a nation of physicists ..lecturing future physicists of the world?

So, it could easily be said that any attainment of wealth ..or distinction, depends more upon having losers much more than it does the composition of the losers themselves, right?

Quote:
Frankly, just more "whoa is me" garbage. Get off the backside and do the right thing and don't expect the freakin' goverment to save the day. Not going to happen.

Come on, Pabs. You aren't fighting tooth and nail to stay where you're at? Didn't you get robbed of your wealth?

I think I'm handling it quite well. I see the flawed physics and realize I can't trump the fixed game. You may be able to best the house odds and come out a winner. More power to you. Really.

You're like the the warren rabbit that lived where the farmer put out veggies ..and snared the area. "Don't talk about it!".

I think Gary doesn't mean outright poverty, but a lower standard of living - less disposable income etc.

Ask the average working stiff how much they made 20 years ago, and they'll tell you they make as much as they make today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back