Happiest Nations in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG's auto-censor can help us all improve our lexicon.
grin2.gif
You may posts the following synonyms:

Abaddon, Gehenna, Hades, bottomless pit, everlasting fire, fire and brimstone, infernal regions, inferno, netherworld, pandemonium, perdition, pit, place of torment, purgatory, underworld

I would think that suicide rates different nations, is more a indication of culture than their degree of Happiness.
Having been to Denmark (and having Danish relatives) I also do not believe the are indoctrinated either, in fact, they seem far more aware of the outside world than most North Americans.
Most Danes speak English and German, and many follow overseas broadcasts.
Taxation is High (and they Gripe about that!) but they seem to appreciate that their expendable income, really is expendable.
Health care, pensions and care for the elderly are taken for granted, Job security is high, work hours Low and vacation time generous.
http://www.labournet.net/docks2/0201/worktim1.htm
I'm not sure I would want to pay 100% tax on the purchase of a car though.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not sure I would want to pay 100% tax on the purchase of a car though.

I think that they really don't pay any more tax than we do. The distribution is different.

Let me restate that. For the amount of services that they receive via taxation, they best us, on average, in comparable costs.

That 100% may be needed to subsidize an export to balance the books in keeping the currency drain at a minimum.

Originally Posted By: expat
Interesting;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTGKUwMegZ4

My relatives, one a Civil Engineer, the other a Blue collar worker at a Brewery, after tax they earn about the same!

That's after tax. I would wager that a more accurate statement was that the Civil Engineer saw no benefit to working beyond a certain point. It should translate to less of his year being consumed by labor and more time at his disposal.

Even as late as the 80's a friend was touring Indonesia and ran into two lower level Swiss postal workers who whined that they only got 6 weeks paid vacation. This, and affording to engage in international travel, is beyond all but the most exceptional postal worker's compensation in the USA even without factoring the time off difference.

Originally Posted By: expat
Interesting;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTGKUwMegZ4

My relatives, one a Civil Engineer, the other a Blue collar worker at a Brewery, after tax they earn about the same!

In Denmark or Canada? I can see how that happens here, low level civil engineer might make $45-50k in their first few years and a senior brewery guy in a union would make that too.

My parents were in Denmark for a week last year and they liked it, very clean, organized, friendly. Lots of people biking. Expensive too but people make alot more there as well.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Not a whole lot of racial diversity in those places. Some, but no real melting pots. I always wonder about those kinda "polls".

So, I'm wondering if there's supposed to be a correlation between
"racial diversity" ( or the the lack of it) and happiness (or unhappiness).

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Not a whole lot of racial diversity in those places. Some, but no real melting pots. I always wonder about those kinda "polls".

Maybe not a correlation at face value, but the lack of political and sectarian strife in a more homogeneous society likely makes for less unhappiness. Fighting and war among racial sects doesn't exactly create an overall high quality of life.

Ah, but I recall watching a segment of 60 Minutes which said that the Finns are among, if not the, most 'depressed' people in the world.
That Japanese are not 'racially diverse'--as far as most people here define it-- but are not known for being the happiest folk on the globe.

General Tagge: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

How do they manage not to tear each others throats out without an oppressed minority?

Every social group needs an Omega member to soak up the displaced anxiety of the group.

I guess they don't have much anxiety to displace
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Every social group needs an Omega member to soak up the displaced anxiety of the group.

I guess they don't have much anxiety to displace
21.gif

Exactly!
If you population is anxious, give them someone to blame it on!!

Originally Posted By: MarkC

No racial diversity in New Zealand? Not a real melting pot? What does a colonial country with a fully integrated indigenous culture lack in racial diversity?

Originally Posted By: Silk
What does a colonial country with a fully integrated indigenous culture lack in racial diversity?

an excuse ?

Yes,but NZ came in 4th.....and Auckland came 4th equal in best city.We are a big glitch in your theory.So I suspect your theory is not a snug fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back