The real cost of wind and solar: Why rates don't match the claims

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Thanks. Apparently the constant in the series is Rick Parks

No problem. Doesn't surprise me that the clean-up might have had a few issues. If you saw my post about stuff that was happening in Japan (lack of oversight) that's what the NRC was put in place to prevent, per Bryan's thread. Having a public regulator in place to ensure safe operating practices, particularly with privately owned plants, only makes sense. Here in Canada we have the CNSC, which is exactly that. It has absolutely no industry affiliation, quite unlike the regulator in Japan, which had private plant owner/operators on its board, essentially making it compromised. This is how things like the lack of upgrades at Fukushima were allowed to take place (grandfathering) because TEPCO could argue against the costs and get away with not making the upgrades/updates under that type of regulation.

"Traditional energy" sources would be wind, hydro, biomass, human (slave) and animal power. The Industrial Revolution driven by the adoption of fossil fuels disrupted a lot of traditions.

"Traditional energy" sources would be wind, hydro, biomass, human (slave) and animal power. The Industrial Revolution driven by the adoption of fossil fuels disrupted a lot of traditions.
I could see going back to Draft horses to tend the fields. We would starve.

Uhhh...hehe, uhhhmmm heehehhee

If everyone is charging "off peak", then what does that time period become? Hey, while I wait on your answer, I'm gonna go cut off the first 6' of our 12' long rug, and sew it on the other end so we will have a longer rug.
Well our solar panels could charge the car over night :cool:

Pump water uphill and run it through a turbine later.

Make freezers smarter and have them go extra cold when there's a surplus, and coast when there's high demand. Digital Equipment Computers did this in the 1970s-- running refrigeration overnight with a special deal from the PoCo.

Do the same with electric car charging. Heck, make smartphones and laptop computers charge in off-peak.

Won't solve everything, but will help a little.
I can remember long ago that we did our laundry at night as the rates were lower.