GDI Engine Owners - What Oil ?

GDI engine owners : Let’s hear what your oil choice is and especially what your OCI is ? I’m particularly interested in anybody with a GDI engine who exceeds 5K miles for an OCI ?

How many threads can one make about finding oil to use?

2 Sonatas, 2011 and 2018, both Theta II GDIs. I run Napa/Parts Master (Ashland/Valvoline last I knew) 5w40 Euro, and run a 4K interval.

For Japanese or Hyundai/KIA the oil doesn't matter much as long as it's decent quality, eg. dexos. Most critical is changing it out at 5k max, and realistically 3.5-4k for most people's driving. Many of the synthetic oils themselves are capable of doing long drain intervals (eg. oxidation and TBN depletion), but GDI engines produce soot that's too small for oil filters to catch and simultaneously very abrasive. Buy whatever dexos oil is cheap and change it out early.

With GDI I don’t suggest anything more than a 5k mile OCI. Now, has GDI improved? On some brands, yes, on others? Not enough. Bottom line, know your vehicle…know how much oil it consumes, how much fuel dilution, your driving tendencies, and get a thorough idea of all this^^ while checking your oil level regularly.

‘21 Chevy Traverse RS- Mobil 1 5W-30. I change between 4,000 and 5,000, even with many 150 trips during the interval.

2020 Equinox 1.5 TGDI I’ve run it out to 6000 miles and had it tested.m, OLM down to 16% (if I remember). Test game back excellent and posted here. It all depends on engine and driving habits. Get the oil tested!

I How many threads can one make about finding oil to use? [URL unfurl="true said:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/5w20-under-45-degrees-f.377925/[/URL]

Who cares man.....that is what this forum is for.
Learning and communicating.
Stop skulking around someone's previous posts and write something helpful.
What are you, the post police?
Grow up.

Man you gotta love the internet,

usually less than 5K miles using 5W-30 Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Quaker State Full Synthetic and previously Shell Gas Truck for the 1 vehicle that's a non-turbo GDI...

Bill

'16 Sierra, been running RGT 5w30 to 7,000ish miles for the past 4 years. I have one change of RGT left in my stash... 106k on the truck total.

'13 Kia Sorento. I had to take this car over from my brother, and have no idea how he handled oil changes, but this car has been severely abused. Now that I have it, I'm feeding it SuperTech Syn 5w30 (the 10,000 mile flavor) and changing it around 4,500 miles. Engine seems fine. 160,000 miles on this car so far.

Last edited:
In my gdi suv I switched to 0/5w-40 euro and I'll do 8-9k intervals up from 7k with regular oil.

I How many threads can one make about finding oil to use? [URL unfurl="true said:

You went through a lot of work to ‘dis me with such a negative troll reply … Kind of creepy as well … I’m just trying to make conversation here from different angles . I believe you will find this to be a legit thread .

Last edited:
For GDI engines - the best base stocks with the lowest amount of viscosity improvers and NOACK are key to prevent intake valve deposits . Valvoline Advanced and M1 are very good in those respects , Quaker State Full Synthetic is the best in the value price category , Pennzoil Platinum is in the middle and Castrol is surprisingly poor . If I were to keep a GDI vehicle long term I would be concerned with the oil I chose as well as the OCI I decided to run .

I have a 2020 Chevy Equinox LT 2.0L GDI that I have used Mobil Triple Action 5W-30 in, mostly because it is D1 G3. However I've picked up some Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 for my next OCI. I would prefer it in 5W-30 but I cannot find that in my area. I'm making this change largely because it is C3 and meets MB229.51 and MB229.52 as well as VW 504/507 and Porsche C30 qualifications. My car doesn't require these but they're tough and won't hurt anything and I feel good about it.

10 years with GDI engines. I use cheap synthetic [ store brand or name brand on sale]. Usually 5W30. As long as it meets the latest SAE spec - currently SP. If long trips, in good weather, the OCI will be over 8,000 miles. Short trips cold weather-4,000miles. In my opinion the only thing to avoid with GDI engines is short and cold trips. Gasoline will build up in the oil.

Wow. One will wonder the same after seeing all these threads by the OP. Jesus....

Back