OCI running HPL PPMO (FL5 CTR)

I'm planning on using HPL PPMO in my 2023 Civic Type R once my stash of PUP is gone. For those that run HPL I'm interested in what kind of OCI you are running? I certainly don't like the idea of dumping out perfectly good oil, but on the other hand I've never been that keen on running much over a 5000 mile OCI with a small displacement turbo-charged GDI engine. I guess I can answer my own question and get a UOA after a 5000 mile OCI, but I'm still interested in how long some of you are running HPL in the sump.

If 5k was my ceiling I'd look past HPL or any other boutique oil as I'd be confident in a quality synthetic meeting spec with a good filter at 5k. I would run the HPL 7500 and send in a UOA and go from there. I'd also cut the filter after first use to see if there were a heavy dose of contaminants.

If things don't look solid at 7500 I'd pass on the HPL and use a quality synthetic and go back to 5k OCI. If 7500 looks good I'd go a little longer and send in a nother sample. That would be my plan.

I use the standard HPL PCMO 10W-20 in my wife's Mustang at 15k mile intervals with good results. This is the most recent report from earlier this year. It's at ~11,000 miles on the current run. This car just turned over 200k miles and has used HPL at 15k mile (or higher) intervals since 130k miles.

05-15-2023 - HPL PCMO 10W-20, 15,893 miles.jpg

I disagree with dismissing boutique oils for short intervals. Even at just 5k miles, the benefits of lower volatility, better shear stability, and better cleaning ability are still apparent. This includes GDI engines with high fuel dilution. A better quality oil will only benefit you in such a situation.

I'm planning on using HPL PPMO in my 2023 Civic Type R once my stash of PUP is gone. For those that run HPL I'm interested in what kind of OCI you are running? I certainly don't like the idea of dumping out perfectly good oil, but on the other hand I've never been that keen on running much over a 5000 mile OCI with a small displacement turbo-charged GDI engine. I guess I can answer my own question and get a UOA after a 5000 mile OCI, but I'm still interested in how long some of you are running HPL in the sump.
I followed the OLM

Boutique oils won't provide any meaning benefit on a 5k OCI vs "off the shelf" synthetics. Especially since typical retail synthetics are engineered to perform over 5k miles. Time is a major component of oil performance.

I use the standard HPL PCMO 10W-20 in my wife's Mustang at 15k mile intervals with good results. This is the most recent report from earlier this year. It's at ~11,000 miles on the current run. This car just turned over 200k miles and has used HPL at 15k mile (or higher) intervals since 130k miles.

View attachment 192925

I disagree with dismissing boutique oils for short intervals. Even at just 5k miles, the benefits of lower volatility, better shear stability, and better cleaning ability are still apparent. This includes GDI engines with high fuel dilution. A better quality oil will only benefit you in such a situation.

Was this 15k+ mile OCI within a year, or for a longer period of time? I'm always curious as to whether folks doing long mileage OCI's are always sticking to a 12-month max or if, for example, quality oils like HPL are trusted for lengthier OCI's time-wise. It seems like the shelf brands used for extended OCI's are for the most part kept to a 12-month maximum, with some covering a ton of miles within that 12-month period. I'd super curious about the ability to run HPL for longer than 12 months, although it's not necessary. More of a cost-benefit analysis curiosity.

Was this 15k+ mile OCI within a year, or for a longer period of time? I'm always curious as to whether folks doing long mileage OCI's are always sticking to a 12-month max or if, for example, quality oils like HPL are trusted for lengthier OCI's time-wise. It seems like the shelf brands used for extended OCI's are for the most part kept to a 12-month maximum, with some covering a ton of miles within that 12-month period. I'd super curious about the ability to run HPL for longer than 12 months, although it's not necessary. More of a cost-benefit analysis curiosity.

That was about 10 months. I run their oil in my Tahoe as well though which is at close to 2.5 years and ~3,500 miles. I'm going to submit a sample from it next month. The oil is dark but not terribly so. This is HPL's old CI-4 10W-30 formula.

That was about 10 months. I run their oil in my Tahoe as well though which is at close to 2.5 years and ~3,500 miles. I'm going to submit a sample from it next month. The oil is dark but not terribly so. This is HPL's old CI-4 10W-30 formula.
Thanks for the reply! I came across Wayne Wilson's posts, which pretty much answered my question. The guy is running the same oil for anywhere between 22 and 36 months in various vehicles, for between 16,000 and 33,000 mile intervals. Absolutely insane how clean his VOA's were and present the TBN has been given his lengthy OCI's. I'm gonna grab a bottle of the cleaner and some HPL oil for my next change once I reach out to Dave and get schooled on the best of their lot for my vehicle and use case. Love the commitment to quality and the extended intervals, which I really need with my busy life schedule.

The best thing I can tell you is do an analysis with Oil Analyzers and check for fuel dilution and see if it effect’s viscosity. I have a big turbo Fiesta ST I run on e30 fuel (mixing e85 and 91) and ran the Premium plus pcmo for a 4200 oci and I had nearly 5% fuel and a drop in viscosity. The sample did show extremely low wear metals however. I have a sample of HPL no VII out to be analyzed right now to see how long I can go on it.

I plan on 5,000 miles as my Hyundai has a GDI engine. It will also be short tripped mostly and only see 5-7,000 miles a year.
The added cost of HPL is minimal compared to fuel costs.
The price difference is eating a good pizza at home or a nice dinner out with the wife one time.

I am doing 5000 mi oci intervals with HPL right now on the wife's GDI-T engine. Each oil change, the oil is staying cleaner longer thru the oci than when I first switched to it. I have not and do not plan to use any type of oil additives or special cleaners.... not even HPL's cleaners. From what I can see the HPL oil alone is doing a fine job. I am currently running HPL 0w20 thru it and next oci will get a change to HPL's 0w30 oil since we live in extreme hot climate and the way the wife uses her car I consider "severe duty."

I am doing 5000 mi oci intervals with HPL right now on the wife's GDI-T engine. Each oil change, the oil is staying cleaner longer thru the oci than when I first switched to it. I have not and do not plan to use any type of oil additives or special cleaners.... not even HPL's cleaners. From what I can see the HPL oil alone is doing a fine job. I am currently running HPL 0w20 thru it and next oci will get a change to HPL's 0w30 oil since we live in extreme hot climate and the way the wife uses her car I consider "severe duty."

You would never need to add cleaner to HPL, HPL's oil cleans better than the "cleaner" they sell. The cleaner is designed to be a slow clean for dirty engines.

Back