"Long term" HPL users: feedback/thoughts/analysis

I'm curious what sort of feedback/test results were seeing from converts to HPL engine oil after say a "long term", i.e. 5-10 OCIs. I'm about 500 miles into my first full sump of HPL PPCO 5W30 after the ubiquitous previous short run OCI of M1 + 1qt of HPL Engine Cleaner as a prep. I do plan on doing my very first oi oil analysis send off after I drain and refill in a few months but am also curious what others of you that are several OCIs in on a full HPL changeover are seeing/experiencing/testing.

I'm using the HPL 5w30 passenger car oil in a 2015 Ford Escape direct injection engine. I change the oil still around 5-5500 miles as it's a turbo engine. We've been using it for two oil changes (10,000 miles or so combined).

Everything is good as usual 👍

I'm not quite long term yet but am nearing the end of my 2nd oci with HPL and 32,000 miles of HPL use. Starting the 3rd oci in a few weeks. Oil consumption is less, engine runs smooth, looks clean under the oil fill. Looking forward to my second uoa with HPL for this vehicle and expanding my HPL use to other vehicles.

I don’t think I have the “run time” to be in your “long term user” category. I’ve got HPL in several cars, and I’m pleased with the performance.

I‘ve cut the filter and found the carbon material deposits that others have. In an engine with a steady diet of synthetic at reasonable intervals, that was surprising, but not worrisome. I have no oil consumption, in most of the engines, and I’m working on the cause in the 300,000 mile Volvo XC.

I have a couple of cars with very expensive, very high performance, engines. The M275 twin turbo V-12. I trust HPL enough to run it in them.

I think the best feedback on long term use is from Wayne Wilson’s experience. See these threads.

I don’t think I have the “run time” to be in your “long term user” category. I’ve got HPL in several cars, and I’m pleased with the performance.

I‘ve cut the filter and found the carbon material deposits that others have. In an engine with a steady diet of synthetic at reasonable intervals, that was surprising, but not worrisome. I have no oil consumption, in most of the engines, and I’m working on the cause in the 300,000 mile Volvo XC.

I have a couple of cars with very expensive, very high performance, engines. The M275 twin turbo V-12. I trust HPL enough to run it in them.

I think the best feedback on long term use is from Wayne Wilson’s experience. See these threads.

I got the warm and fuzzies reading those threads. The evidence, for me anyway, is pretty rock solid and I plan to run this in both of our cars (currently in my TL and will go in my wife's CX-9 the OCI after this upcoming one). I was just curious on user feedback regarding real world cleaning ability after a few OCIs and any other improvements versus prior OCIs.

I've run the HPL Euro 5W40 in my Sportwagen for the last year and change. I track my car regularly and generally beat on it. No issues but I'm not pushing past 5K changes based on that use-scenario but my use would be similar to someone running the same oil out WAY past the 5K driving under nomral daily conditions. I've posted my HPL UOAs in the sub-forum and the only thing I can quanitify is that it appears that the HPL maintains it's grade better than other oils I've run indicating that it is more shear-resistent if you remove the impact of fuel dilution on viscosity in my long-term (~5 years) UOA data which jives with their Star VIIs/quality PAO base stock.

Last edited:
Good to know! I'll run a UAO on mine when it's ready to change (I'm being SUPER conservative with a drain and fill at 3k miles with this as 1) this car went super long time wise between OCIs prior to my ownership at 30k miles. 2) The only real issue with this car is the almost imminent likelihood to become an oil burner later down the road if you stretch OCIs and/or use lesser oils.

So I was interested in giving HPL a try until I learned that it’s $17/qt! I’m good with 5/qts store brand syn for the same price. When my cars make it to 300k I won’t care how clean the engine is.
A reasonable approach for sure. The only way this oil makes sense is either going for v. long OCIs or like my use, extreme conditions.

I'm curious what sort of feedback/test results were seeing from converts to HPL engine oil after say a "long term", i.e. 5-10 OCIs. I'm about 500 miles into my first full sump of HPL PPCO 5W30 after the ubiquitous previous short run OCI of M1 + 1qt of HPL Engine Cleaner as a prep. I do plan on doing my very first oi oil analysis send off after I drain and refill in a few months but am also curious what others of you that are several OCIs in on a full HPL changeover are seeing/experiencing/testing.
With the low miles on the two vehicles in your signature I have a feeling you could have passed on the "prep." Especially if you used Mobil 1 since new. I would have passed on that step. If I was concerned about the cleaning HPL was doing I would have changed my filter at 2,500 miles, topped up and motored on with the HPL in the sump, utilizing the benefits of the premium product.

.....or your're just an oil/maintenance nerd like myself that wants to use this and run UAOs and this is one of your many niche hobbies.... ;)
Of course! I mean BITOG has people with 5 year supplies of oil in their basements for fun....

What sort of OCIs do you plan on running with the HPL?

I'm 7,000 miles into my 4th run of HPL in my wife's Mustang, 2nd run on the PCMO 10W-20, going 15k mile intervals. The UOAs have been as good as you could hope for. This is the most recent one.

05-15-2023 - HPL PCMO 10W-20, 15,893 miles.jpg

With the low miles on the two vehicles in your signature I have a feeling you could have passed on the "prep." Especially if you used Mobil 1 since new. I would have passed on that step. If I was concerned about the cleaning HPL was doing I would have changed my filter at 2,500 miles, topped up and motored on with the HPL in the sump, utilizing the benefits of the premium product.

Oh I agree with you now. When I bought the TL and became a member of this forum I went a bit crazy and just bought everything I read about at once and in quantity.

Of course! I mean BITOG has people with 5 year supplies of oil in their basements for fun....

What sort of OCIs do you plan on running with the HPL?
So my initial full HPL run was at 34,000 miles even, I'm now at around 34,600 or so I think. Plan on drain and fill with the same stuff at 37K and then again at 40K. At that point, I'll do every 5K miles with an Amsoil filter change every odd OCI.

Wasteful or excessive? Perhaps. But if this doesn't stave off oil burning or potential issues than it just wasn't meant to be.

So my initial full HPL run was at 34,000 miles even, I'm now at around 34,600 or so I think. Plan on drain and fill with the same stuff at 37K and then again at 40K. At that point, I'll do every 5K miles with an Amsoil filter change every odd OCI.

Wasteful or excessive? Perhaps. But if this doesn't stave off oil burning or potential issues than it just wasn't meant to be.
I mean yeah, 5K miles an oil like HPL should be as good as you can get.

1993 Volvo 240 sedan, B230F engine, 235,xxx miles

I am nearing the end of my second run of HPL No VII Euro 5W30. I will change and test at 7,200 miles.

The first run was 5,000 miles. 1/2 quart of top of oil. I cut open the filter and saw the usual carbon particles others have shown.

The second run has had nearly no oil consumption. The engine is incredibly smooth.

My goal is 10,000 mile OCIs if the UOA support.

Back