Starting HPL...Cleaner or straight to PCMO in Cadillac CTS Vsport ?

I thought I saw some of the "wow HPL cleaned my XYZ" with former M1 0W40 users...I need to spend a few mintues and see if that was true or not or if it was another variant of M1.
It was M1 EP 0W-20, which doesn't have the base oil composition or robust additive package of M1 0W-40, being an API-constrained product. That's why Dave was nice enough to blend me the Super Car "overkill" 0W-20 with the same style of additive package as M1 0W-40 (and of course the higher solvency base oils, using AN's and esters).

I don't know if flushing an engine every oil change is a good idea or worth it. Usually two things come to my mind when people are doing a flush and the first would be that the engine is dirty and the second part of that is well why is it dirty? Either the oil isn't sufficient for the driving style or it's being put into service a little bit too long. I look at the oil remaining on the engine internals may not be as clean as fresh oil but constantly removing that film from an engine seems to me that for a brief moment it would cause more wear as the new oils trying to get to the metal surfaces. I'm just kind of looking for people's thoughts on what are the pros and cons of using engine flushes. I know I've used one occasionally but that's about every maybe 30,000 miles. There's an old school part of me that says if it's not acting up and you're not getting bad results from an analysis or from a performance aspect to leave well enough alone. I think before I went on a heavy duty flush kick, I would also check to make sure all my emission parts from the breather valves to the EGR and even the throttle plate were in good clean working condition. That's why I like about the hpl engine cleaner, there's no having to let it idle or babysit it or keep the revs at a certain spot. It's just kind of a drop it in and let her run for a couple thousand miles. It definitely helps me sleep at night.
I look at it the other way - my engine is super clean inside from what I've seen and maybe that's b/c rather than being reactive I've been proactive w/r to keeping it that way. I think folks here think flushes are super aggressive etc., they aren't as far as I can tell, but I do think you get a "more complete drain" as I'll call it with the LM product. Dumping a can of it in while you are getting your oil change things out for 10-15 minutes is not much of a put out/drama. Per HPL, using their oil has a higher cleaning component than the EC...I think they just recommend the EC before you start on their oil to get a bit of a headstart is all. I'm not using the LM flush in the Golf since switching over a year ago b/c I feel I started with a clean engine and the HPL should maintain it nicely but I do run it every oil change in the Passat (2 cans in that bad boy!).

Top end for reference. ~85K.

FB_IMG_1682475388068.jpg

Top end for reference. ~85K.

View attachment 152644
If you had to compare the cleaning strength of the "run for 15 minutes LiquiMoly engine flush solvent", with the alternative which is running 1 quart HPL Engine Cleaner 30 + 3.5 quarts full synthetic oil for 4,000 miles (with a filter only change at 2,000 miles),
how would the results compare of those 2 cleaning approaches be in your opinion?

If you had to compare the cleaning strength of the "run for 15 minutes LiquiMoly engine flush solvent", with the alternative which is running 1 quart HPL Engine Cleaner 30 + 3.5 quarts full synthetic oil for 4,000 miles (with a filter only change at 2,000 miles),
how would the results compare of those 2 cleaning approaches be in your opinion?
No idea if I'm being honest. We just don't/can't know how these impact it. I never cut my filters open when I was using the LM product so maybe I would have seen some junk but I think it's unlikely. The HPL cleaner followed by using their oil likely produces a longer term solution of slow cleaning over time vs. a single dose of a solvent-based type cleaner every 5-10K but as I've showed, my engine was v. clean inside after hard use so folks can't rule out that the LM product wasn't part of that. My case is I had a clean engine to start with and it stayed clean. If the engine was sludged up/dirt/varnish etc. I really am not sure.

No idea if I'm being honest. We just don't/can't know how these impact it. I never cut my filters open when I was using the LM product so maybe I would have seen some junk but I think it's unlikely. The HPL cleaner followed by using their oil likely produces a longer term solution of slow cleaning over time vs. a single dose of a solvent-based type cleaner every 5-10K but as I've showed, my engine was v. clean inside after hard use so folks can't rule out that the LM product wasn't part of that. My case is I had a clean engine to start with and it stayed clean. If the engine was sludged up/dirt/varnish etc. I really am not sure.
What was your oil change interval in miles / months with LiquiMoly oil which kept your engine clean.

What was your oil change interval in miles / months with LiquiMoly oil which kept your engine clean.
Anywhere from 3-9K...varied. Average was right around 5K over that period. LM Molygen and Leichtlauf High Tech with a dash of M1 0 and 5W40 for a change each and the fan-favorite QSUD Euro 5W40 for one interval.

Back