Mixing QSUD with PPPP ?

I like that QSUD (or new QS Synthetic) is a robust 5W30 but cleaning not quite on par with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 (which is a thin 5W30 I don't care for in a GDI engine) . *I am considering mixing the two at a ratio of 3 qrts. QSUD to 2 qrts. PPPP hoping that their base stocks are fairly close to get the best of both ?

You can mix any motor oil really. It would be fine but their base stocks aren't that similar. PP is purely gtl while qsud is of another group 3 base and the flash points of their pds's make it clear but even then you can mix pretty much any modern motor oil together. I've yet to hear of chemical incompatibility from mixing x oil with x oil.

I like that QSUD (or new QS Synthetic) is a robust 5W30 but cleaning not quite on par with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 (which is a thin 5W30 I don't care for in a GDI engine) . *I am considering mixing the two at a ratio of 3 qrts. QSUD to 2 qrts. PPPP hoping that their base stocks are fairly close to get the best of both ?
Oils are generally not cleaners but how do you come to the conclusion QSUD not quite on par with PP?

According to the SDS, QSFS uses a GTL base oil. PP and QSFS are more alike than they are different. Mix away.
5CE494E0-47DD-4ABB-AB73-F1982CA96298.jpg

I’ve mixed the both of them together in the last, never an issue (and I wasn’t expecting one). I always thought they were blended/owned at the same company/place? Maybe not the exact same, but similar.

I’ve mixed the both of them together in the last, never an issue (and I wasn’t expecting one). I always thought they were blended/owned at the same company/place? Maybe not the exact same, but similar.
I don't understand why people have the idea that engine oils aren't compatible. There are a handful of oil companies refining /making the base stocks and a handful of companies that make the additive packages? Plus the specs require compatibility.

Oils are generally not cleaners but how do you come to the conclusion QSUD not quite on par with PP?
*I've read reports and seen that some experience a bit of yellow / gold varnish buildup of engine internals using QSUD whereas PPPP used engine internals are spotless (as are M1 used engine internals) when used as directed .

*I've read reports and seen that some experience a bit of yellow / gold varnish buildup of engine internals using QSUD whereas PPPP used engine internals are spotless (as are M1 used engine internals) when used as directed .
Right but you can't control for the unique conditions that occured for each of those 'reports' you mention so you can't assign the cause to anything, least of which is the oil that was used.

What makes the PPPP clean so well?
The common opinion that PP/PUP cleans better most likely comes from an ad campaign a few years back that stated, "PP/PUP keeps pistons 40% cleaner than other synthetics" or something similar. (Marketing works.) Whether PP/PUP actually does keep *my* pistons 40% cleaner... who knows.

This thread reminds me of my friend's suggestion to take all available specialty vitamins in order to reap the benefits of all - one for her hair, one for nails, one for mood, etc.

OTOH one qt each of Castrol, PUP, maxlife, M1, Amsoil, and QS would make the perfect cocktail, with a splash of RP for garnish. Maybe we could call it a Long Island (?) :rolleyes:

There is a difference between "cleaning" and preventing or limiting deposits i.e. Not letting the engine parts get dirty or too dirty.

which one is the primary requirement of an engine oil? Is cleaning a requirement or side benefit?

Last edited:
Bro, it's fine. It's an old wives tale... errr old man's tale. I've been running weird ass mixes in my 00 celica since I joined this forum. Boutique oils and consumer oils, especially the crazy clearance period of the 2010 era.

I just put in a gallon's worth of oil from that time period into my 2ZZ-GE 11.5-1 compression 22 year old engine. It consisted of

1 qt Toyota 0w-20 (SN)
1 qt Castrol 0w-30 (SM? Maybe SJ) this was the german castrol that was green
1 qt Mobil Euro 0w-40 (SN)
1 qt Royal Purple XPR 5w-20 (Not even rated, probably too high ZDDP, because racing oil)

and it's fine. Still just shiny amber colored cams.

Last edited:
Uhhmm - maybe I should just add 1 qrt. of M1 0W20 EP to all my new fills for the high level PAO included .

Bro, it's fine. It's an old wives tale... errr old man's tale. I've been running weird ass mixes in my 00 celica since I joined this forum. Boutique oils and consumer oils, especially the crazy clearance period of the 2010 era.

I just put in a gallon's worth of oil from that time period into my 2ZZ-GE 11.5-1 compression 22 year old engine. It consisted of

1 qt Toyota 0w-20 (SN)
1 qt Castrol 0w-30 (SM? Maybe SJ) this was the german castrol that was green
1 qt Mobil Euro 0w-40 (SN)
1 qt Royal Purple XPR 5w-20 (Not even rated, probably too high ZDDP, because racing oil)

and it's fine. Still just shiny amber colored cams.
Yeah, I’m under the impression that as long as a motor has oil, it won’t matter the brand. Granted as long as it isn’t a 60 grade, pouring in different brands of oil the motor will keep going

Back