0w20

AS

Our soon to be new vehicle specs 0w20, easy choice is Penn UP but I’m curious what you folks would recommend. The new vehicle is a ‘24 Santa Fe 1.6T hybrid (the newer Smartstream engine), GDi not MPi but some claim it is a ‘split port’ serving similar benefits of MPI - this i do not know.

Secondly, does ‘high mileage’ or ‘extended performance’ oils offer benefits on a new vehicle that will observe the factory recommended OCI of 8,000km? Thinking if they are on sale.

Last edited:
Ext perf can do longer drains. 8k km is 5k mi which a standard full syn can do. Some say a hm oil early on will cause the seals to swell and rupture but that's just false. It's more likely to maintain them for longer and prevent leaks instead of harm except for vehicles with rubber wet belts. Those are very likely to degrade sooner and is the only reason not to use a HM oil at any point in an engine with one but that engine doesn't have that.

I'm not a fan of thinner oils in a turbo engines being ran hard (small turbo 1.6l in a big santa fe) and 0w-20 is an emissions respec. I'd prefer to use an SP rated euro oil and still change at or below 10k km to keep it clean. But you could just use a regular full syn 5w-30. If you plan on owning it long term get a catch can. I only hope that dual clutch 8 speed won't be an issue. At least it's a wet one and not a dry one.

Here's a pic of the 1.6t engine oil list. 0w-20 wasn't an original grade. Was respec'd later on.

1712957282643.jpg

Reactions: wlk
What region and year is that chart for? This gen of 1.6 hasn’t been around long and I’ve never seen any of those oil specs before.

luckily the hybrid doesn’t use the DCT, it uses the tried and true conventional torque converter 6 speed.

My current vehicle is a 2012 Silverado with 250k that has been bullet proof (this forum actually reco’d I switch to a euro 5w40 from the 5w30 spec for the summer, which i will be doing for the first time in a couple weeks). I’m a bit worried about the Hyundai so I will be staying within warranty spec; canada only gets 5 year warranty

Hyundai now says something like 8000km or 12 months for standard OCI, I think they are shellshocked from their oil burning with the Theta family engines

This is my first turbo engine so I’m mostly curious if PUP is the easy go to or if I should look at a different oil

Edit, here is the oil spec for the 1.6t smart stream
IMG_4211.jpeg

Last edited:
If I bought that vehicle, and I've thought about it, I'd have the dealer change the oil through the warranty period. I don't have the same faith in those engines that I have in my Toyota, but that Santa Fe is a very nice vehicle.

Just use Valvoline Advanced 0w20 and not worry. 8km is nothing for this oil. I use it in an Impala that is direct injection only. She has 177k and last oil change was 12k. Only difference is we use spec 5W30.

If I bought that vehicle, and I've thought about it, I'd have the dealer change the oil through the warranty period. I don't have the same faith in those engines that I have in my Toyota, but that Santa Fe is a very nice vehicle.

Canada doesn’t get any complimentary oil changes like Hyundai US, and synthetic changes run $140, I know I know cheap compared to an engine, but I’m fully in my right and warranty to do my own. Self-maintenance history can be recorded in the Hyundai app (I would backup on my own too) and have pictures of the receipt and odo, if oil was bought in bulk you record amounts used at each change versus the bulk amount on the receipt.

The new SmartStream engines are ‘supposed’ to be quite good, no chance in hell they want a repeat of engine replacements.

Just use Valvoline Advanced 0w20 and not worry. 8km is nothing for this oil. I use it in an Impala that is direct injection only. She has 177k and last oil change was 12k. Only difference is we use spec 5W30.
Is it better than PUP or Castrol Edge? It’s one of the ‘discount’ synthetics in terms of price

Any of the EP-type oils - Valvoline, Quaker State, Castrol, Mobil-1, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum will do nicely during your 5y/60k warranty period. I'd buy whichever is on a nice sale.
Then when the warranty ends, immediately switch to 0w30, which is what I use in our 2020 Kia.

Keep your store receipts. Date needs to be legible. Make sure the viscosity is listed. Always include the length of the OCI.

Is it better than PUP or Castrol Edge? It’s one of the ‘discount’ synthetics in terms of price
I don't know as I haven't used those. I do know she was Pennzoil all the way and was using oil. She was low at 5k then it started dropping quickly so I changed pcv valve and oil loss slowed up. Went Valvoline cause that was what was on sale and oil usage went to quart at 10k.

Turbos like clean oil so no extended drain if you can avoid them.
I'll fix your post .... OK?
Turbos like clean oil and LazyDog likes clean water bowl. So no extended drain (or dirty water bowl) if you can avoid them.

Please share in any future posting mistakes I make. I need help sometimes.

With that 10 year warranty run whatever the manual says. With that being said more frequent oil changes will be beneficial if you plan on keeping it past the warranty.

Back