Early Oil Change on New VW EA888?

Newbie question time: oil analysis shows high metals in the oil during break in. Does the filter remove harmful particles, such that high particle counts during the analysis are not large enough to cause wear in the engine?
Generally speaking, a particle that is large enough to have a high chance of causing wear is large enough to be filtered out within a fairly short time frame. A 5-micron particle might be filtered at only 10% efficiency, but even so, it's likely to be filtered out within a few minutes of engine run time. If it doesn't get filtered in time, it will get pulverized by the engine into pieces that are too small to cause further wear.

More efficient oil filtration during break in could reduce wear significantly. Draining the oil early won't do a whole lot if the engine has efficient filtration.

If the engine has poor filtration efficiency, an early oil change would make some difference, since there would be a lot of particles in circulation that are too small to ever be filtered out, but still large enough to eventually cause wear if left in circulation for long enough. A 2-micron particle is highly unlikely to cause wear on any single pass through the oiling system, but if left unfiltered indefinitely, it might eventually find a small enough clearance to cause wear.

Both sub 1 µm and above 50 µm are non-issues. The first is too small to cause
wear, since the oil film is thicker. The latter is too large to pass a decent oil filter.
What's most probably causing some wear is particles in size of 10, 20 or 30 µm,
as they might pass your oil filter, of course depending on the filter media used.

Btw, more MOFT (HTHS) helps!

Pollen? Ha. Maybe you need to come out from behind the keyboard a time or two. Try it. I have made it clear how to do exactly what I did.
If you lack real-world experience and it seems that you do, maybe stand back and learn before typing silliness, as you have done, a couple of times now. Hit pause before beclowning yourself further.
Or maybe I should just act like you? Someone so focused on being right that their head is preverbally stuck somewhere. How does your flatulence smell? I'm getting a pretty good kick out of entertaining your lunacy. Keep it coming.

Generally speaking, a particle that is large enough to have a high chance of causing wear is large enough to be filtered out within a fairly short time frame. A 5-micron particle might be filtered at only 10% efficiency, but even so, it's likely to be filtered out within a few minutes of engine run time. If it doesn't get filtered in time, it will get pulverized by the engine into pieces that are too small to cause further wear.

More efficient oil filtration during break in could reduce wear significantly. Draining the oil early won't do a whole lot if the engine has efficient filtration.

If the engine has poor filtration efficiency, an early oil change would make some difference, since there would be a lot of particles in circulation that are too small to ever be filtered out, but still large enough to eventually cause wear if left in circulation for long enough. A 2-micron particle is highly unlikely to cause wear on any single pass through the oiling system, but if left unfiltered indefinitely, it might eventually find a small enough clearance to cause wear.

Embedded into the bearing at the first pass is the most likely scenario for a 5 micron particle. But it could have past a few lifters or VVT actuator a few times before that happens. Oil film thickness is very likely to be smaller than 5 micron.

Embedded into the bearing at the first pass is the most likely scenario for a 5 micron particle. But it could have past a few lifters or VVT actuator a few times before that happens. Oil film thickness is very likely to be smaller than 5 micron.
Minimum oil film thickness in a bearing at high engine loads is generally in the 1-5 micron range, but that's just the film thickness at the location within the bearing that has the smallest clearance. Most of the oil in the bearing will be in the 10-100 micron range. Also, MOFT will be higher at low engine loads, and the film thickness also tends to be higher than the minimum at most crank angles. MOFT in main bearings tends to be higher as well.

Even if MOFT gets down to 1 micron, a 5 micron particle is unlikely to end up crushed in the MOFT wedge before it finds its way out of the bearing. It's a similar story with other wear surfaces like cam lobes and cylinder liners, where only a small percentage of the oil flow ends up in small clearances between the moving components.

Possibly or have the same exact amount of oil consumed. You or I have no idea why it occurred in my specific instance.
It is common in a low tension ring situation. Happens on Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. extended changes cause carbon in ring lands and cause ring sticking. Happens all the time.

My case isn’t a German auto, but a Japanese 2024 Mazda Miata and I just performed an initial oil change at 850 miles for my priceless pease of mind! I also went with a 5w30 over the “recommended” 0w20! I see zero downside to an early initial change and there’s no way I’d ever wait until 10000 miles especially on the first change or any subsequent changes! I believe in 4500 mile intervals at the most, using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

My case isn’t a German auto, but a Japanese 2024 Mazda Miata and I just performed an initial oil change at 850 miles for my priceless pease of mind! I also went with a 5w30 over the “recommended” 0w20! I see zero downside to an early initial change and there’s no way I’d ever wait until 10000 miles especially on the first change or any subsequent changes! I believe in 4500 mile intervals at the most, using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.
If it gives peace of mind, go for it and don’t overthink it. That being said, have the rationality to observe that your approach is your approach but it doesn’t mean others following the factory recommended intervals are doing anything wrong. Good luck with the new Miata!

Back