MK7 Volkswagen GLI, change viscosity after tune?

The simple fact that this is not the only oil recommended for this engine tells you everything you need to know. The ongoing fabricated reasons for why an engine needs a specific oil seems to be endless.
I suggest reading my entire post next time, all the words, before you put words in my mouth.

Reactions: 4WD
You can figure that out I think. There is zero technical reason why you need to use 508 00 approved oil. The vanadium tracer contributes nothing to polymer stability nor does the 20-grade contribute to proper operation nor engine longevity.

Keep trying, I am actually starting to be amused by the increasingly goofy reasons that come up.
No, I think you are going to have to point out the markets and the vehicles that are usually specced for 508/509 that don’t use it.

And I never mentioned the “vanadium tracer”

Though I do know that if you have an engine failure that VAG can link back to a lubrication problem they will invalidate the Warranty

No, I think you are going to have to point out the markets and the vehicles that are usually specced for 508/509 that don’t use it.

And I never mentioned the “vanadium tracer”

Though I do know that if you have an engine failure that VAG can link back to a lubrication problem they will invalidate the Warranty
Yes indeed. I’ve never said anything different.

And for the rest, you misunderstand what I said. There are engines that recommend 508 00 oil here in the US that recommend 504 00 or 502 00 oil elsewhere. Easy for you to do there, bigjl.

Yes indeed. I’ve never said anything different.

And for the rest, you misunderstand what I said. There are engines that recommend 508 00 oil here in the US that recommend 504 00 or 502 00 oil elsewhere. Easy for you to do there, bigjl.
Why would I have to do anything?

You already said you know the answer.

So why not just share the information that you say you have?

I don’t know of any VAG vehicle originally specced for 508/509 that is specced with a different oil in some markets.

As I have a 2020 Q2 1.5 TFSi DSG in the family I have looked at every lube checker and selected various Countries to see if it is specced for a different oil somewhere, other than 508/509, and obviously the top up policy if 508/509 is not available, as I have touched on previously as I had to top it up late at night without a chance of buying 508/509

The Q2 is likely to be my daughters car for many years, its has only got 30k miles on the clock and we have extended the Warranty so it is likely to be around for a while, unless she wants to replace it with a BMW of some sort, probably a 330e

Why would I have to do anything?

You already said you know the answer.

So why not just share the information that you say you have?

I don’t know of any VAG vehicle originally specced for 508/509 that is specced with a different oil in some markets.

As I have a 2020 Q2 1.5 TFSi DSG in the family I have looked at every lube checker and selected various Countries to see if it is specced for a different oil somewhere, other than 508/509, and obviously the top up policy if 508/509 is not available, as I have touched on previously as I had to top it up late at night without a chance of buying 508/509

The Q2 is likely to be my daughters car for many years, its has only got 30k miles on the clock and we have extended the Warranty so it is likely to be around for a while, unless she wants to replace it with a BMW of some sort, probably a 330e
I don't know what a lube checker is, but the information I have is from the VW TIS. My Tiguan for example recommends 508 00 here, but in TIS it lists 502 00 or 504 00 or 508 00 as being acceptable in nearly every country in the world. Higher SAPS 502 00 is especially recommended in countries where poor fuel is a concern.

Other VW models are similar. It gets back to the fact that there is no technical reason for using 508 00, only a political reason or if a small fuel savings is your sole objective. It isn't because of small oil passages, or electronic/electric oil pumps or their drive gear, or because the plastic parts need the vanadium, or because of any of the other 25 reasons that are postulated for why this or any engine "needs" a certain grade to safely operate.

Of course there are also the dire warnings about warranty denial, but again no one has ever posted that this has happened to them personally. Warranty is based on engine damage and no one is going to damage an engine with 504 00 oil when 508 00 is recommended.

I don't know what a lube checker is, but the information I have is from the VW TIS. My Tiguan for example recommends 508 00 here, but in TIS it lists 502 00 or 504 00 or 508 00 as being acceptable in nearly every country in the world. Higher SAPS 502 00 is especially recommended in countries where poor fuel is a concern.

Other VW models are similar. It gets back to the fact that there is no technical reason for using 508 00, only a political reason or if a small fuel savings is your sole objective. It isn't because of small oil passages, or electronic/electric oil pumps or their drive gear, or because the plastic parts need the vanadium, or because of any of the other 25 reasons that are postulated for why this or any engine "needs" a certain grade to safely operate.

Of course there are also the dire warnings about warranty denial, but again no one has ever posted that this has happened to them personally. Warranty is based on engine damage and no one is going to damage an engine with 504 00 oil when 508 00 is recommended.
You don’t know what a Lube Checker is in the context of oil recommendations

I suggest you use Google

Still waiting for that list of vehicles that you say you have.

Shouldn’t be an issue, strange how you are refusing to name them and choosing to deflect repeatedly

So you have a special Tiguan that doesn’t have an engine?

Older models petrol 1.4 Tiguans were even specced for 508/509 in Europe.

Ok but there were significant changes between the CNTA/CXCA/CXCB engine and the DFKA engine. And the Tiguan uses the Budack cycle. I mean, the engines are different. It's not crazy to suggest the lubrication requirements might be different for actual legitimate reasons too. In addition to silly reasons. Also, I'm pretty sure mpg actually went down when they made that switch. Which is interesting I think

You don’t know what a Lube Checker is in the context of oil recommendations

I suggest you use Google

Still waiting for that list of vehicles that you say you have.

Shouldn’t be an issue, strange how you are refusing to name them and choosing to deflect repeatedly

So you have a special Tiguan that doesn’t have an engine?
What are you going on about? I have a 2020 Tiguan, the one in my signature, and it has an EA888 engine. And the information I have you is from the VW TIS, also known as erWin. Something you should join if and when you purchase a VW. I'd never Google a "lube checker" to find out what to use for oil in any vehicle I own. You may do so but I will not.

Another reference you can have is that the same EA888 engine is used in different models besides the Tiguan and yes, those also can have different oil recommendations.

For the rest, it's getting into Twilight Zone now.

Ok but there were significant changes between the CNTA/CXCA/CXCB engine and the DFKA engine. And the Tiguan uses the Budack cycle. I mean, the engines are different. It's not crazy to suggest the lubrication requirements might be different for actual legitimate reasons too. Also, I'm pretty sure mpg actually went down when they made that switch. Which is something
None of those models have specific technical recommendations in erWin. Whatever you wish to claim as yet another reason why a specific engine needs a specific grade still has no technical backing. Zero. Please tell me what is unique about the Budack cycle that requires a 20-grade oil. There isn't one. It's more of the complete nonsense that swirls around the drain of these imaginary requirements.

And I've already mentioned a very slight MPG difference. Yes that exists. But that is neither my primary criteria for oil selection nor will I ever notice it, ever.

None of those models have specific technical recommendations in erWin. Whatever you wish to claim as yet another reason why a specific engine needs a specific grade still has no technical backing. Zero. Please tell me what is unique about the Budack cycle that requires a 20-grade oil. There isn't one. It's more of the complete nonsense that swirls around the drain of these imaginary requirements.

And I've already mentioned a very slight MPG difference. Yes that exists. But that is neither my primary criteria for oil selection nor will I ever notice it, ever.
Man, I have to hand it to you for continually trying to explain this to folks that just don't/won't accept the fact there is basically NOTHING that requires the use of the thinner oils (ie; VW 508.00 0W-20) in VW engines, other than a manufacturer recommendation based on fleet fuel economy goals. Even when backed by technical, logical information and spelling things out in a sensible way. But this is BITOG and oil nuts is gonna be oil nuts.

Yeah, the oil has a tracer in it for validation purposes, but is for a backward compatibility situation. Like when someone thinks they can use this oil to save some MPGs in an older 502.00 speced engine and it causes failure due to insufficient HTHS. Same reason they require a blue dye (which turns the oil green) so dumb-a techs don't put this oil in older engines. Hey @bigjl, since you're so keen on providing lists of things, how about you list all the documented failures for VW engines that are oil related due to using non-recommended oil spec. C'mon, I know you have that info, share it with us.

Man, I have to hand it to you for continually trying to explain this to folks that just don't/won't accept the fact there is basically NOTHING that requires the use of the thinner oils (ie; VW 508.00 0W-20) in VW engines, other than a manufacturer recommendation based on fleet fuel economy goals. Even when backed by technical, logical information and spelling things out in a sensible way. But this is BITOG and oil nuts is gonna be oil nuts.

Yeah, the oil has a tracer in it for validation purposes, but is for a backward compatibility situation. Like when someone thinks they can use this oil to save some MPGs in an older 502.00 speced engine and it causes failure due to insufficient HTHS. Same reason they require a blue dye (which turns the oil green) so dumb-a techs don't put this oil in older engines. Hey @bigjl, since you're so keen on providing lists of things, how about you list all the documented failures for VW engines that are oil related due to using non-recommended oil spec. C'mon, I know you have that info, share it with us.
I guess when those engines find their way to Central African Republic or Mali etc. they will have to run 0W20, otherwise, it will explode.
The lack of understanding how this works is truly astonishing.

The engine are designed to use 0w20 without issues….. the VW 508-509 maybe has some extra requirements like zirconium. I dont think is good idea uses Vw 502 oils 🤷‍♂️
Maybe some VW 504…..

The engine are designed to use 0w20 without issues….. the VW 508-509 maybe has some extra requirements like zirconium. I dont think is good idea uses Vw 502 oils 🤷‍♂️
Maybe some VW 504…..
The engine is originally recommended for useVW504.00/507.00. For some markets it was recommended for VW502.00. That being said, you can run 20W60 and nothing would happen an engine.

The engine is designed to run oil, not any particular grade. What grade or/and approval is recommended depends on market requirements.
0W20 is recommended bcs. CAFE and WLTP. VW tested engine to meet its assigned life expectancy in certain conditions.

Last edited:
The engine is originally recommended for useVW504.00/507.00. For some markets it was recommended for VW502.00. That being said, you can run 20W60 and nothing would happen an engine.

The engine is designed to run oil, not any particular grade. What grade or/and approval is recommended depends on market requirements.
0W20 is recommended bcs. CAFE and WLTP. VW tested engine to meet its assigned life expectancy in certain conditions.

no sr….. the internal bearing clearances, oil arterias and rings are designed to work with specific range of viscosity (in a track day or high rpm uses, the viscosity falls because high temp, so you can uses a bit higher viscosity)
But uses a 20w60 oil in a 5w30 spec engine will make greater wear at cold start, higher internal engine temperature, and probably the rings cannot efficiently sweep that viscosity.

no sr….. the internal bearing clearances, oil arterias and rings are designed to work with specific range of viscosity (in a track day or high rpm uses, the viscosity falls because high temp, so you can uses a bit higher viscosity)
But uses a 20w60 oil in a 5w30 spec engine will make greater wear at cold start, higher internal engine temperature, and probably the rings cannot efficiently sweep that viscosity.
Like I said, astonishing!

What an imagination you have.

Back