MK7 Volkswagen GLI, change viscosity after tune?

Hey folks, happy Sunday. Coming up on an oil change on my 2019 VW Jetta GLI and had a couple questions.

Recently I had the car tuned with Integrated Engineering, on their Stage 1, High Torque tune. I also had the DSG tune done. This MY was one of the first of VW calling for 0w20 instead of a 30w or 40w. Since purchasing I’ve ran Mobil 1 ESP x2 0w20, with no issue, including virtually zero oil burn over a 5k OCI, unlike many others I’ve read.

Question is, I’ve done a lot of reading where it’s been advised to switch these engines to a 5/0w30, or 5/0w40 as the 0w20 doesn’t offer the protection at higher temperatures, or during track use. So far, for about 2k miles I’ve ran it tuned with 0w20 with no noticeable difference. I do plan on having the current fill sent off to Blackstone to see where we’re at, but in the mean time, should I drop ESP in it again? Some have suggested skipping both the 502 and 508 spec and going for 504, which I believe is typically a 0w30. What say you?

I’m not a VW expert but I’d probably run M1 ESP X3 0W-40 or another C40 oil if I owned it and already voided warranty via tune.

My car is an ‘18 GTI so I use VW 502 oils. Usually it’s Castrol 5w40 Euro. I’m also IE Stage 1 and DSG tuned.

I believe ‘19 was the first year of the specification change.

Hey folks, happy Sunday. Coming up on an oil change on my 2019 VW Jetta GLI and had a couple questions.

Recently I had the car tuned with Integrated Engineering, on their Stage 1, High Torque tune. I also had the DSG tune done. This MY was one of the first of VW calling for 0w20 instead of a 30w or 40w. Since purchasing I’ve ran Mobil 1 ESP x2 0w20, with no issue, including virtually zero oil burn over a 5k OCI, unlike many others I’ve read.

Question is, I’ve done a lot of reading where it’s been advised to switch these engines to a 5/0w30, or 5/0w40 as the 0w20 doesn’t offer the protection at higher temperatures, or during track use. So far, for about 2k miles I’ve ran it tuned with 0w20 with no noticeable difference. I do plan on having the current fill sent off to Blackstone to see where we’re at, but in the mean time, should I drop ESP in it again? Some have suggested skipping both the 502 and 508 spec and going for 504, which I believe is typically a 0w30. What say you?
Unless you are taking it to a track or doing top speed runs, you are totally fine with 0w20. I tracked my stock GLI with 0w20 and the UOA results were pretty good.

If you already tuned your car, you no longer have drivetrain warranty, so you might as well run 502.00 or 504.00 on the next oil change. I would not drain the 0w20 early, just change it when the time comes.

At the crank it reads a gain of 102 HP and 99 ft lbs torque
Thanks for those details. If these older engines were originally spec'd for a thicker oil then I don't see any problem going up a grade. If you want to bump up the thickness then why not? It shouldn't hurt anything except a slight MPG hit that may or may not be noticeable.

Most tuners would probably recommend the 502/504 oils because of higher HTHS ratings, and I personally would recommend the same. You have to realize that the tune increases pressures that will really tax the film strength of most oils. Also, higher turbo pressure will increase blowby and fuel which will ultimately end up in the oil. Fuel is a crappy lubricant and destroys the oil film's ability to protect sufficiently. Add some moisture to that blowby and the resultant soup is not very tasty. Especially if you dare to take it out to a 10K OCI or something silly like that. If your looking for decent 504 oils look to the Castrol Euro 0W-30 (which has LL-01) or Valvoline Euro XLIII, a 5W-30. These are somewhat harder to source and could be pricier compared to others. Some will recommend the darling of Mobil1 oils, the FS 0W-40, but may be a tad heavy in the SAPS area for VW DI engines regarding intake deposits. I say use the Castrol Euro Car 5W-40 (API SP) or Quaker State Euro 5W-40 and call it a day. Both super easy to source and cheap at Walmart etc. 5K changes and you should be good for quite a long time.

Your car should have an oil temperature sensor. What are the highest oil temperatures you've seen in summer? If they're not much more than 100 C, the 0W-20 should be plenty thick enough. If the oil runs a lot hotter, or if you plan to track the car, I'd use a xW-30.

Your car should have an oil temperature sensor. What are the highest oil temperatures you've seen in summer? If they're not much more than 100 C, the 0W-20 should be plenty thick enough. If the oil runs a lot hotter, or if you plan to track the car, I'd use a xW-30.
I think that would take seeing what the tune has done. It's a 25% power increase, boost target is 25 psi and I believe stock was 19. I haven't noticed any differences in my oil temperature when cruising, it stays around 205 F(just under 100C), but I've seen it get as high as 230 F when really hammering on it.

I don't recall seeing anything from Integrated Engineering, but last I heard most of the tuners state specifically to run Liquimoly 5w40. I think it's weird to specifically recommend an oil like some do, but I don't think 0w20 is a great idea for this engine if you're really going to push it. You're pretty far from stock with these power numbers. If fuel economy is a concern on my last full tank doing my usual commute(and the occasional blast) I got 37mpg out of the GTI using Castrol 5w40 Euro. That's matches the best I've ever seen out of the car stock and usually saw 34-35mpg. I'm on the 91 octane low torque setting running ethanol free 91. I mostly went low torque even with the DSG tune because the tires can barely take a second gear rip with current setup in these 30 degree temps.

Track use with pump-gas any VW spec oil in 30 or 40 grade. This could be 502, 504, 511. VW like other automakers revises existing oil approvals. 502 and 504 has been updated through the years. Ethanol I'd look at 40 grade only.

Personally whenever a shop recommends LiquiMoly I immediately assume they have a tie-up with them.

I think that would take seeing what the tune has done. It's a 25% power increase, boost target is 25 psi and I believe stock was 19. I haven't noticed any differences in my oil temperature when cruising, it stays around 205 F(just under 100C), but I've seen it get as high as 230 F when really hammering on it.
Stock boost on the GTI/GLI is only 1.0 bar...1.2 on the R so even those aren't making 19psi stock.

To the OP: VW approvals (even 508) are stout but I agree with going 504. 502 won't hurt but isn't necessary either.

Stock boost on the GTI/GLI is only 1.0 bar...1.2 on the R so even those aren't making 19psi stock.

To the OP: VW approvals (even 508) are stout but I agree with going 504. 502 won't hurt but isn't necessary either.
The point was IE’s boost target is 25psi for the GTI. I couldn’t remember the stock figure as the gauge doesn’t subtract ambient so I don’t use it as a reference. That puts it at 15psi then and about 18 for the Golf R. That must be what I remembered.

Whether or not it is accurate it showed me 2.62 bar earlier on stage 1 when converted and 14.7psi subtracted for ambient would put it at 23psi. I don’t know if that was peak, but when I noticed it on a 3rd gear pull.

Back