Heavier Wt Alternatives to 508/509 & BMW FE17+ (0-20 oils)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been lurking here for decades, finally had to ask something I seemingly can't find the answer to via search here, on various YouTube channels, & via Google Search. Note: I'm coming at this from gas-powered Euro car engine angle, not diesels.

If one doesn't care about:

- The miniscule fuel gains by 0w-20 oils currently spec'd by say, BMW & VW/Audi right now in a bunch of their vehicles
- The manufacturer's CAFE rating
- The fact 508/509 is dyed green
- The 1 in a trillon chance you'd suffer a serious engine breakage during warranty & a dealer actually caring, let alone taking the time to be sluthing what oil was in the crankcase, then denying your warranty repair
- Going 10k miles on a factory-recommended oil change interval (I do roughly 5k mi or 6-month change outs)

And: The vehicles are operated in hot desert urban climates that rarely get below freezing (32F), but for months out of the Yr operating in triple-digit daytime temps

And: The primary objective of the owner is preventing as much engine wear as possible while owning/operating the vehicles in above situation for long-term

With the above positions/facts around my druthers & my vehicles operational parameters, I'm trying to get a bead on these questions:

- Wise to go with a heavier oil (x-30w?) if vehicle longevity is the primary goal?
- Euro spec oil matter if not running it at long change out intervals?
- Brand/formulation of any given oil really matter if running 5k mi change intervals so long as it's a synthetic oil. i.e. Is running whatever's on sale at the time (assuming one has picked a specific wt of oil they want to be running) just as good at the end of the day as sticking to a particular name brand / specific product? Does it really matter if you run Costco Syn, Walmart SuperTech Syn, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra syn, VW 508/509, or BMW FE17+ etc......?

-

It's been stated that brand plays little to no role in performance. Does your manual show a range of viscosity at different temperatures? If so we can start there.

It's been stated that brand plays little to no role in performance. Does your manual show a range of viscosity at different temperatures? If so we can start there.
I own both a current-gen Audi & a newer BMW. Neither give any oil viscosity range options. They each respectively list 0w-20 as the only one you're supposed to use, albeit types of 0-20 blended to their specifications.

The BMW's Manual says: "Suitable engine oil types: BMW Longlife-17FE+". "Viscosity grades: SAE 0W-20".

The Audi's Manual says:

"If you need to add engine oil, use an oil that meets the engine oil standard listed on the sticker" The sticker under the hood only lists 0-20.

Then the manual goes on to say:

"Audi recommends having the oil changed by an authorized Audi dealer or authorized Audi Service Facility.

Audi recommends using approved engine oil that meets the respective VW standard. Using engine oils which do not meet these quality
standards can cause damage to the engine. As an exception and only in an emergency, 0.5 qt(0.5 l) of engine oil that differs from the standards listed may be used.

Audi recommends using engine oils provided by Audi Genuine Parts."

I'm of the position their recommendations of only 0-20 is more from CAFE concerns & to some degree, ensuring the very high % of their vehicles that leave the showroom floors as leased vehicles nowadays, make it thru their warranty periods with as little scheduled maintenance required as possible. Some may call it tinfoil hat, that's fine, it's my position based on reading up / watching a ton of stuff related to the car business dynamic nowadays. I can't help but think running a slightly heavier weight oil in my stuff, given the environment I operate in, may be a better option for wear concerns, but seemingly there's no way to know that for sure.

Last edited:
To get you started, I omitted threads that were only "thick vs. thin" and "serious engine breakage" and so forth:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back