BMW 0W12

Just got a 2024 BMW X5 40i with the B58 engine and the required oil weight for the current B58 engine design in the X5 is 0W12 per BMW spec LL-22 FE++. Just curious of your all thoughts on this oil? Seems it is only available in BMW branded oil at this time.

Here are a few existing threads that include a discussion on that oil. The first one is a currently ongoing thread about the B58 engine:

I got some thoughts, but I better keep them to myself. I may get carried away expressing them, and earn myself a ban... So I'll let this AI generated pic do the talking.
1000016422.jpg

Just got a 2024 BMW X5 40i with the B58 engine and the required oil weight for the current B58 engine design in the X5 is 0W12 per BMW spec LL-22 FE++. Just curious of your all thoughts on this oil? Seems it is only available in BMW branded oil at this time.
BMW doesn't require but recommends oil grades and approvals. These recommendations are based on your market.

From what I've read BMW has increased the oil pressure of the system and being that the engine in your vehicle is the B58TU2 (Technical Update 2) the VANOS solenoids are actuated electronically rather than via oil pressure this is in addition to the polymer coated bearings which all B-series engines have. Basically BMW designed this engine to allow you to use 0w12.

I would probably run their oil in the B58 TU2 because it's so new and has many changes. It's an engine that may get a field engineer sent out if they fail. The last thing you need is to be arguing over viscosity with dealership service personnel or BMWNA reps if you use an oil that isn't allowed by TIS.

I got some thoughts, but I better keep them to myself. I may get carried away expressing them, and earn myself a ban... So I'll let this AI generated pic do the talking.
That looks like DALL-E 3. I'd love to read the prompt you wrote to generate that image.

That confused me on the LL-12FE approval. I figured the alternative to the LL-22FE++ would have been the LL-17FE+. I was thinking the LL-12fe was for the M models.

BMW doesn't require but recommends oil grades and approvals. These recommendations are based on your market.

From what I've read BMW has increased the oil pressure of the system and being that the engine in your vehicle is the B58TU2 (Technical Update 2) the VANOS solenoids are actuated electronically rather than via oil pressure this is in addition to the polymer coated bearings which all B-series engines have. Basically BMW designed this engine to allow you to use 0w12.

The research that I have done on the TU2 confirms what you are saying.

Tackling thinner and thinner motor oils seems to be the low-hanging fruit, in my opinion. I believe car manufacturers are reaching a point where they are doing this more to show they're actively addressing emissions and fuel economy rather than actually achieving significant improvements. The difference in net energy between two tanks of gasoline is greater than the fuel economy gains from switching from 5W-40 to 0W-16. However, the manufacturing cost increases exponentially because now you have to enhance precision, use more expensive materials, coatings, and so forth, to accommodate the thinner oil, which ultimately leads to a setback in long-term reliability.

Tackling thinner and thinner motor oils seems to be the low-hanging fruit, in my opinion. I believe car manufacturers are reaching a point where they are doing this more to show they're actively addressing emissions and fuel economy rather than actually achieving significant improvements. The difference in net energy between two tanks of gasoline is greater than the fuel economy gains from switching from 5W-40 to 0W-16. However, the manufacturing cost increases exponentially because now you have to enhance precision, use more expensive materials, coatings, and so forth, to accommodate the thinner oil, which ultimately leads to a setback in long-term reliability.
0W12 was aimed at Euro7. However, EU just throw that out of window until at least 2030. If BMW adjusts oil recommendations, that is all one needs to know what manufacturers actually think about this trend.

OP, considering manual, if I had that car, LL12 until warranty is out. After that LL01 or LL04.

OP, considering manual, if I had that car, LL12 until warranty is out. After that LL01 or LL04.
I wouldn't wait until warranty is out. Are BMW dealers enforcing viscosity recommendations now?

You have lots of experience with Euro vehicles and lubes. In your opinion, what offers better wear protection? LL01 or LL04?

I wouldn't wait until warranty is out. Are BMW dealers enforcing viscosity recommendations now?

You have lots of experience with Euro vehicles and lubes. In your opinion, what offers better wear protection? LL01 or LL04?
Tough question. There is some data from Mercedes where A3 oils had less wear than C3 oils. In EU they use LL04 in BMW gasoline engines since 2009. But I mean, I use VW504.00/507.00 in Tiguan, although it is VW502.00 recommended for the US market for that year.
As for BMW and grade, they will ask for approval. Since LL12FE is obviously an option, I would go with that until the warranty is out. That is the minimum HTHS of 3cP, so definitely step up.
I'm not sure if this X5 comes now with GPF; if so, then LL04 is the obvious choice after the warranty.

Back