Oil for tuned/modded E63 AMG

It's not uncommon for 0w40 oils to initially drop in grade and then move back up thorough the factory recommended oil change interval.
You engine is water cooled so ambient temps are not an issue in day-to-day driving and I imagine your vehicle also has an oil cooler. Any 229.50 technically works. If you want something quieter and easy to find perhaps:
M1 Formula M 5w40 (MB Dealership)
M1 Euro 5w40
Pennzoil Euro 5w40
QS Euro 5w40.

Just remember the viscosity of typical Euro 40 grades skew towards the bottom of the viscosity range. If you want something thicker then look at Redline 5w40 Professional series but that's going to be a few more $$.
Yes I would go with a 5-40 instead of 0-40.

Since your interval is so short, you could also consider running Motul 300V Competition 5W-40 if money is no object.

Very close. Loveland pass. Route 6.
Just 5min away, today:
IMG_2771.jpeg

I myself would go with Ravenol or HPL and lower the drain intervals on a Florida driven highly tuned car. 3,500 to 4,000 would be my max.

HPL Euro 5W40. Holds up to track abuse in my wagon and is staying in-grade better than anything else I've used. My VW is ~200hp/L. With that said the Euro 40 grades all seem to drop to a 30...there is no real issue with it.

FB_IMG_1703159816333.jpg

You are running significantly higher power than stock output levels, for which 0W/W-40 was spec'd. I would run a good 50wt oil like M1 5W-50.

Hoe do you know it "thinned too quickly"?
I had a Viscometer at my workplace. Checked virgin vs used sample. Both allowed to come-up/come-down to room temp before measuring. I wish I had my results still, but I wasn't impressed, especially compared to the M1 FS UOAs I saw on this forum. Maybe it's me and my driving style and car, and others get great performance from the LM, I do not know. I even swore by the LM in my Volvo in the past and had nothing but good results.

Based on feedback and other forums, I'm going between M1 FS Euro 5W40 for of the shelf stuff, Motul 8100 Power 5W40 and HPL Euro/Supercar 5W40 for a boutique oil. I see that the Motul has some good deals right now and is also on FCP Euro for their Lifetime Warranty trick if I wanted to pay more upfront...

I had a Viscometer at my workplace. Checked virgin vs used sample. Both allowed to come-up/come-down to room temp before measuring. I wish I had my results still, but I wasn't impressed, especially compared to the M1 FS UOAs I saw on this forum. Maybe it's me and my driving style and car, and others get great performance from the LM, I do not know. I even swore by the LM in my Volvo in the past and had nothing but good results.

Based on feedback and other forums, I'm going between M1 FS Euro 5W40 for of the shelf stuff, Motul 8100 Power 5W40 and HPL Euro/Supercar 5W40 for a boutique oil. I see that the Motul has some good deals right now and is also on FCP Euro for their Lifetime Warranty trick if I wanted to pay more upfront...
Every oil I have used has a viscosity drop to the 11s (cST) from new (typically around 13 for most of the Euro 40s). I think my car may be more power dense than yours? Anyway, hope this helps...all of my 100K mi worth of oil changes, the ending viscosity.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 102220.jpg

Every oil I have used has a viscosity drop to the 11s (cST) from new (typically around 13 for most of the Euro 40s). I think my car may be more power dense than yours? Anyway, hope this helps...all of my 100K mi worth of oil changes, the ending viscosity.

View attachment 194090
I think that's why VOA's are critical with trying to determine visc loss (along with accurate GC fuel). Variation between labs is a fact of life, as is batch variance and of course the effect of fuel. BL is HPL, middle one is Ravenol, bottom one is HPL:
Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 10.43.07 AM.jpg

View attachment 194090
That is indeed very helpful! Thank you. Also, love to see a GTI VR6 still being cared for at 206K.
I think that's why VOA's are critical with trying to determine visc loss (along with accurate GC fuel). Variation between labs is a fact of life, as is batch variance and of course the effect of fuel. BL is HPL, middle one is Ravenol, bottom one is HPL:
View attachment 194092
Agreed on batch variance. I used the virgin oil left over from what I had put in, so that's the controlling factor of my comparison and of course, statistically you need at least 20 samples to be relevant, but how many people have done 100K worth of oil changes with the same car and using the same oil the entire time? Not to even consider the reformulations and changes to the chosen oil over that time.

Would you recommend HPL if cost is no issue? I'm looking to keep this engine until it simply cannot be rebuilt anymore because the AMG V8s are now a thing of the past sadly.

Would you recommend HPL if cost is no issue? I'm looking to keep this engine until it simply cannot be rebuilt anymore because the AMG V8s are now a thing of the past sadly.
Yes, I'd reach out to Dave and see what he recommends, I assume it'll be the Super Car 0W-40 or 5W-40.

Yes, I'd reach out to Dave and see what he recommends, I assume it'll be the Super Car 0W-40 or 5W-40.
I reached out on their website a day or two ago and haven't heard back. Is there a better way to get in touch?

That is indeed very helpful! Thank you. Also, love to see a GTI VR6 still being cared for at 206K.

Agreed on batch variance. I used the virgin oil left over from what I had put in, so that's the controlling factor of my comparison and of course, statistically you need at least 20 samples to be relevant, but how many people have done 100K worth of oil changes with the same car and using the same oil the entire time? Not to even consider the reformulations and changes to the chosen oil over that time.

Yep. The Euro 5W40 is the way to go. It's the same as the Supercar 5W40.

I reached out on their website a day or two ago and haven't heard back. Is there a better way to get in touch?
Not sure what they will tell you that you don't already know. The Euro 5W40 is the match
View attachment 194092
I have a VOA for each oil I've ever used. Worst was M1 0W40 and a run of LM Molygen after track use.

Back