C55 AMG - Oil recommendations for Track usage?

Are you interested in trying VR1 20w50? If you are trying to cut down on consumption, I would recommend maxlife in 10w40 or 20w50, or perhaps Mobil1 high mileage 10w40. I realize none of these oils meet MB spec, but you have already tried MB spec'd oils and they are getting burned off.
I've never been able to slow down consumption with a 10W40 compared to a 5W40, have you?

That doesn’t sound likely. Oil temps are usually disconnected from engine temp. May I suggest you try one of those infrared temp guns and point it at your pan after a good run. I’m going to suggest it’s 110 C.
I am skeptical of 95-96c oil temperature. But, even 110c oil temperature at track is really good.

Wasn't getting notified of recent responses, sorry!

Yes I was considering trying the VR1 20w50. Either that or Mobil 15w50, comes down to whatever is a better deal at the time of change, only plan on running either in the warmer months.
I am currently running the Valvoline euro 5w40, consumption is none so far albeit on a small sample size (600mi).
I am skeptical of my own oil temp reading, this was taken through a scan tool and like a I said it was a cold day with no hot lapping. I will try the temp gun next time I am out! Would be good to see what temp the manual gearbox gets to as well...

Wasn't getting notified of recent responses, sorry!

Yes I was considering trying the VR1 20w50. Either that or Mobil 15w50, comes down to whatever is a better deal at the time of change, only plan on running either in the warmer months.
I am currently running the Valvoline euro 5w40, consumption is none so far albeit on a small sample size (600mi).
I am skeptical of my own oil temp reading, this was taken through a scan tool and like a I said it was a cold day with no hot lapping. I will try the temp gun next time I am out! Would be good to see what temp the manual gearbox gets to as well...
Can you read oil temp. through OBD?

the MB II scanner I have does show 'oil temp' in live data readings but looking back at the m113 over the years, it seems like only the 99-02' m113's even had an oil temp sensor... So maybe it is guesstimating off another sensor or there in fact is one...? Not quite sure now tbh.

the MB II scanner I have does show 'oil temp' in live data readings but looking back at the m113 over the years, it seems like only the 99-02' m113's even had an oil temp sensor... So maybe it is guesstimating off another sensor or there in fact is one...? Not quite sure now tbh.
might be erroneously reporting coolant temp

There must be an oil temperature sensor. Just bcs. you do not have a gauge, does not mean the sensor is not there.

Just a quick reply......if I saw an AMG sedan being tracked hard id be drooling! Well done. And nice car! Im sure it makes some glorious sounds.

A friend up here has the C43....which is the baby brother to yours

Yea the jury is still out i guess on if there is or isn't an oil temp sensor, all the material i have found thus far suggest there is NOT...

Also correct, no oil pressure sensor or gauge is fitted but this one I plan to retro fit and could also add in temp sensor while at it. I will however use the temp gun once i get a chance to see how it's looking. Have a Dyno Tuning day set for the 14th which could provide some reading but probably not close to oil temps the track would produce...? First time doing a Dyno session. I'll share regardless...

Appreciate all of the responses and help everyone has offered with full gratitude! Thank you!

Dyno Day went well but it was my first time and I was too focused on driving and working the software from my tuner, forgot to take a reading of oil temps...

Have another Track day May 2nd, have my digital temp gun ready to go in my auto bag.

Car put down 322hp/340tq (SAE) & 333hp/351tq (Uncorrected) to the wheels after tune btw for anyone curious! Cheers!

Almost a year later... figured it was time to update...

The C55 has been running Rotella T5 15w40 since end of summer, it has ran great on it and the oil consumption is definitely down. We don't see anything near freezing at least when I use this car, so the winter viscosity does not worry me at all. I do like the fact there are less visc modifiers with the 15w40 vs 5w40, all in all though I decided to go with it out of easy availability, very reputable oil, cost effective and I only drive the car 3k miles a year so I am fine with a synth blend. I plan on sticking with it going forward and will likely do an oil sample test next change to see how it performs.
I now have added an M119 to the stable and an M156, so buying oil in bulk has crossed my mind but I haven't found a worthwhile deal, so for now I'll stick with the 2.5gal for around $50 or 3x 5qt jugs for around $60...

Any suggestions or input feel free to jump in!
I still would really like to try to VR1, I am tempted to test the 10w30, feel like it is durable enough to be safe though it's one grade down from hot viscosity. Feel like the 20w50 is too thick besides for summer use maybe.

All of these posts, and I did not find even mention of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (with MB-Approval 229.5)?

Have you tried it? Not sure about the track (dont have any such experience, but can't see why not), but for daily driving definitely.

I don't understand any concern with 5W or even 10W if your climate is such that temps don't really go below freezing. Unless maybe you are doing something out of the ordinary (very short trips?), or are really trying to lower fuel consumption or something like that.

All of these posts, and I did not find even mention of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (with MB-Approval 229.5)?

Have you tried it? Not sure about the track (dont have any such experience, but can't see why not), but for daily driving definitely.

I don't understand any concern with 5W or even 10W if your climate is such that temps don't really go below freezing. Unless maybe you are doing something out of the ordinary (very short trips?), or are really trying to lower fuel consumption or something like that.
Pennzoil has definitely come into play on my own research, seems like it has surpassed the other players in the name brand mass market... Still having trouble finding it locally. Try to run oils I know I can find and not have to rely on internet orders only... unless the deal is right for bulk etc.

I am not too concerned with the winter viscosities 5/10/15, more so curious about running a 30 vs a 40 on the hot side. It seems some of the 40's shear down to a 30 fairly quick. So i though if I find a stable 10w30 such as VR1 it could be an easy find and is usually on sale around me, sometimes as low as $25 for 6 quarts.

I still daily the C55 here and there, but it is mostly used for spirited driving or auto x/track in summer.

I've had trouble finding the PP Euro LX 0W-30 in Ontario, Canada recently, for what it's worth.

... if you don't mind by mail. I would prefer the 5W-40 if I was in your climate though, and I would definitely prefer 40 over 30, but that's just me. :)

Have you thought about Supertech Synthetic Euro 5W-40? Doesn't have MB-Approval 229.5, but is recommended by the oil maker for such use. Might be the same as this: https://mag1.com/products/passenger...full-synthetic-european-5w-40-a3b4-motor-oil/
Easy to find, here at least, and very inexpensive here too, at C$20+tax for 5 litres.

Have you seen this?
(only in-production engines though)
Some other interesting 'sheets' there too,

Last edited:
Back