Early Oil Change on New VW EA888?

It still limits power/RPM as well right? I always thought the 1200 mile oci was more to get you in the shop to remove the limits.
The break-in service is free of charge. They also change out the diff fluid, or used to. The BMW break-in interval on M-cars is just as much about forcing the new owner to become familiar with this high performance vehicle before they take it to the track/spirited driving.

This is the correct answer in both regards, reference former lead manufacturing engineer and I managed parts washers for engine components. Unless you plan to sell the car at 40k miles.
What about Honda? lol

We've seen many factory fill UOA's and the wear metals are never at alarming levels. My guess this is why it's safe to run the factory oil at a normal 3-5k mile drain with no issues.

Does it help to do an early drain, maybe.
Does it hurt? No.
It’s pretty simple.

Cost factors are a non issue in my opinion. You just bought a new car.

FIXED
Does it help to do an early drain? No.
Does it hurt? No.
Does it hurt not too? No.
It’s pretty simple.

Cost is always a factor but, in this scenario, it is equated to a euphoric response after you do said early change. It makes you feel good, so you are ok with the cost and that is all that matters to you, personally.

FIXED
Does it help to do an early drain? No.
Does it hurt? No.
Does it hurt not too? No.
It’s pretty simple.

Cost is always a factor but, in this scenario, it is equated to a euphoric response after you do said early change. It makes you feel good, so you are ok with the cost and that is all that matters to you, personally.
Again, many engines have a long life and good performance without an early change.

But, you can’t define that an early change does not help as you have stated. So you make a false assumption.

In fact, it should be easy to surmise that it likely helps in some way. Small ways that are insignificant, or significant ways that could be measurable in some circumstances

Not that it absolutely does not help. Are you able to do that?

This is the correct answer in both regards, reference former lead manufacturing engineer and I managed parts washers for engine components. Unless you plan to sell the car at 40k miles.
Man I must just be lucky with all my vehicles without early first changes that went over 40k.

Man I must just be lucky with all my vehicles without early first changes that went over 40k.

It's the same situation as finding the best oil. Does it really make a difference? No, not always, or in all situations, but it's directly the right thing to do.

You could run the cheapest certified oil you could find, and probably your car would never tell the difference. But you don't.

Again, many engines have a long life and good performance without an early change.

But, you can’t define that an early change does not help as you have stated. So you make a false assumption.

In fact, it should be easy to surmise that it likely helps in some way. Small ways that are insignificant, or significant ways that could be measurable in some circumstances

Not that it absolutely does not help. Are you able to do that?
Unless and I've said this before you have quantifiable data that states it does over even just a few thousand engines you have nothing. Doesn't means it wrong but certainly doesn't prove any right in it. There is nothing measurable about it.

I able to say with great certainty that it doesn't help for the general public, maybe it makes a few oil nerds like us feel better (there is those immeasurable feelings again). They will use the cheapest oil, change late, dump the vehicle after 100k with it still running well. An early oil change when new makes no difference.

I’m in the dump it early and drive aggressively crowd. I also change the ATF before 20k miles.
I don’t see how getting rid of the manufacturing and break-in contaminants early is not a positive.

Also, most motorcycle manufacturers I’m aware of, even the most pedestrian and not highly stressed models and I think even scooters have a 600 mile first OCI to this today. Clearly these guys are not aware of BITOG 🙄

I able to say with great certainty that it doesn't help for the general public, maybe it makes a few oil nerds like us feel better (there is those immeasurable feelings again).

'Immeasurable feelings' to whom? To customers? Probably. To manufacturers?
Definitely not. They know the difference, they know about manufacturing and
break-in contaminants. The crucial problem: Manufacturers have no interest to
share or, say, disclose their knowledge. Closed to the public and will be forever.
Talking with a couple of engineers in the industry let me to do early oil changes.
Before talking to them I didn't carry out early changes. Just like the vast majority.

'Immeasurable feelings' to whom? To customers? Probably. To manufacturers?
Definitely not. They know the difference, they know about manufacturing and
break-in contaminants. The crucial problem: Manufacturers have no interest to
share or, say, disclose their knowledge. Closed to the public and will be forever.
Talking with a couple of engineers in the industry let me to do early oil changes.
Before talking to them I didn't carry out early changes. Just like the vast majority.
It's all an opinion not verifiable fact.

It’s always “ let’s see the data” and “ without data you have nothing” . Especially handy to deploy when you are losing an argument.

Alert!

Prepare for BITOG heresy:

Data is not needed to make a decision that will be beneficial, likely correct or even the absolute correct decision from a choice of many. Is that a difficult concept to embrace in today’s world?

Back