Pennzoil Q&A GF-6 and GF-7 with the American Petroleum Institute (API) - Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
why change what works good?
Because... money.

Folks seem to forget about ILSAC. That would be the organization who'd have to deal with fuel dilution and define what's "normal".

After all, ILSAC is the lobying arm of North American and Asian car manufacturers. Just like the API belongs to the big oil companies. Though it's not at all a "big conspiracy", but more like each organization looking after their own priorities.

Motor oil cannot address desing issues, manufacturing defects, and my favorite, poor metalurgy. In that respect, the API is correct.

LSAC had their way more than once, like with LSPI for instance. That's a design failure of epic proportions driven by the desire of the OEMs to produce cheaply manufactured small displacement TGDI engines. Changing oil formulation is a bandaid for that particular problem, not a fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
and the future is ticking lifters and electric motors.............there is not a thing anyone can say that would convince me that these lighter oils are for greater proctection, but for greater fuel economy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at the price of durability.................we the lowly consumer always pays the price.

Unless the manufacture gives me an unlimited lifetime warranty on the engine I will never use sub 30 oil. 0w8? Come on. Can't wait for the 0w1 spec oils.

Unless the manufacture gives me an unlimited lifetime warranty on the engine I will never use sub 30 oil. 0w8? Come on. Can't wait for the 0w1 spec oils.
hell, negative weight oil why not.
Because... money.

Folks seem to forget about ILSAC. That would be the organization who'd have to deal with fuel dilution and define what's "normal".

After all, ILSAC is the lobying arm of North American and Asian car manufacturers. Just like the API belongs to the big oil companies. Though it's not at all a "big conspiracy", but more like each organization looking after their own priorities.

Motor oil cannot address desing issues, manufacturing defects, and my favorite, poor metalurgy. In that respect, the API is correct.

LSAC had their way more than once, like with LSPI for instance. That's a design failure of epic proportions driven by the desire of the OEMs to produce cheaply manufactured small displacement TGDI engines. Changing oil formulation is a bandaid for that particular problem, not a fix.
I was referring to engine design, not really the oil, in the context of your excerpt from my post.

LSPI can affect all GDI engines or just TGDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back