Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 ?

I am considering using the PP Euro L in a Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine , I like that it is a 5W30 with a cSt @ 100 degree C . of 11.9 with a HTHS of 3.5 ... *Any shortcomings or reasons to not be using this oil in your typical American GDI engine ?

I don’t see any problems with using it. However, your fuel mileage will suffer a little. Shell UK recommends a 5W30 A5/B5. Castrol Edge C3 5W30 is another good choice. I had a 2013 KIA Optima with the same engine. I used either QSUD 5W30 or Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend. I never had any engine problems.

Last edited:
That is an excellent choice IMO, the Euro L is LSPI friendly and a heavy for grade 5w30 you are on the right track for your Hyundai. Fuel mileage between that and a 5w20 would be so minor that you'll not even be able to quantify it.

Thanks for the replies ... *I believe a Shell UK 5W30 A5/B5 would be Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 ?

I don’t see any problems with using it. However, your fuel mileage will suffer a little. Shell UK recommends a 5W30 A5/B5. Castrol Edge C3 5W30 is another good choice. I had a 2013 KIA Optima with the same engine. I used either QSUD 5W30 or Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend. I never had any engine problems.
Which is in PP Euro L category.

I am considering using the PP Euro L in a Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine , I like that it is a 5W30 with a cSt @ 100 degree C . of 11.9 with a HTHS of 3.5 ... *Any shortcomings or reasons to not be using this oil in your typical American GDI engine ?
Is that Hyundai 2.4L Turbo?

CDBD94DE-9503-4387-AEB3-CB8E1FE376C3.jpeg
Great price on it now.

Is that Hyundai 2.4L Turbo?
*No ... It's just a gas direct injection with no turbo . *While the Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 is thick 12 cSt @100C. and a HTHS of 3.5 the % of VII's used is about double the regular PP 5W30 D1/G2 oil , so in a DI engine it may be best to blend a couple qrts. into the PP 5W30 . Valvoline Advanced 5W30 still may be the best synthetic oil for USA DI engines which is also easy to find , <$25 for 5 qrts. It never hurts to window shop for oil though .

*No ... It's just a gas direct injection with no turbo . *While the Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 is thick 12 cSt @100C. and a HTHS of 3.5 the % of VII's used is about double the regular PP 5W30 D1/G2 oil , so in a DI engine it may be best to blend a couple qrts. into the PP 5W30 . Valvoline Advanced 5W30 still may be the best synthetic oil for USA DI engines which is also easy to find ,
That Valvoline Advanced 5W30 you mentioned has good amount of Zn 940 and P 800. Nice.
Do you know what the content of Mo is?

That Valvoline Advanced 5W30 you mentioned has good amount of Zn 940 and P 800. Nice.
Do you know what the content of Mo is?
No , but it has a fair amount of Moly as well as Titanium too I believe .

If Valvoline is using Ti that would be news to me. Castrol's the one using Ti the most, and they use it in place of moly. You don't usually see both.

If Valvoline is using Ti that would be news to me. Castrol's the one using Ti the most, and they use it in place of moly. You don't usually see both.
I don't know where that believe by CrisD46 came from about Ti in Valvoline. Statements like: I believe, I heard, I think, I am pretty sure and on and on are plentiful on here without any supporting facts.
I checked many Valvoline Voa's of different viscosities on oil club ru and none of them had any Ti.

*No ... It's just a gas direct injection with no turbo . *While the Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 is thick 12 cSt @100C. and a HTHS of 3.5 the % of VII's used is about double the regular PP 5W30 D1/G2 oil , so in a DI engine it may be best to blend a couple qrts. into the PP 5W30 . Valvoline Advanced 5W30 still may be the best synthetic oil for USA DI engines which is also easy to find ,

I typically use M1 EP 10W30 and PP 5W30 in our 2.4L gdi Tuscon.

how do you know % vii of the PP Euro 5W30 is twice as much as PP 5W-30? Sounds high considering both have the same spread.

also do you know the Noack for regular PP and the Euro?

Last edited:
Back