Cross Country Trip : 5W20 or 5W30 Synthetic ?

Seltos oil cap says 5W20 (5W30 , 10W30 are also approved in OM) . I have been using 5W30 synthetic oils for mostly severe large city suburban driving but will be taking a cross country trip this summer . For a cross country interstate run would you stay with 5W30 or drop down in weight to 5W20 (again both are approved) ?

Keep on keepin on

If it's approved, I wouldn't worry about it.

You might have a .25mpg increase over the trip with 5w20 and that probably generous. (SWAG on my part)

Typically one would use the 5/20 in winter or cold weather months as to allow the oil to flow through the engine better. But you may have "ticking" of the lifters etc during that time. the 5/30 is a heavier oil and may take longer to heat up to reach the lifters. So routinely rotate oils like you do your tires.. during those winter and summer months.

I think it might depend upon whether you are going to be travelling across thick or thin states.

us.jpg

Typically one would use the 5/20 in winter or cold weather months as to allow the oil to flow through the engine better. But you may have "ticking" of the lifters etc during that time. the 5/30 is a heavier oil and may take longer to heat up to reach the lifters. So routinely rotate oils like you do your tires.. during those winter and summer months.
Both in your example have same winter rating - just different at high temperatures …

Are you serious?

If it doesn't burn any with 5w-20 I'd use it since the engine load is low and film thickness isn't really an issue unless you go fast or run into strong head winds which are known to cause consumption from making the engine work much more. if it does burn I'd use a 30 grade anyway.

I personally would run a dexos licensed 5w-30 for the extra oil film strength at operating temperature and higher certification level.

If space permits on your Seltos, you can also use a 3593a filter instead of a 9688.

Yikes

Seltos oil cap says 5W20 (5W30 , 10W30 are also approved in OM) . I have been using 5W30 synthetic oils for mostly severe large city suburban driving but will be taking a cross country trip this summer . For a cross country interstate run would you stay with 5W30 or drop down in weight to 5W20 (again both are approved) ?
If it ain't broke; Don't "fix" it. Stay with what you are currently using.

You're in GA, 5w30 year round road trip or not. Do not over think it.

5w30 which you have been using is fine or the 10w30 since it is in the warm weather.

If you want the best of both worlds (whatever that may be) just mix them...or make a frankenblend of any leftovers from previous OCs.

On second thought, this is a high mileage trip so maybe a high mileage oil would be good... :unsure::p:ROFLMAO:

If it were my Steltos I'd probably use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 which is on the thinner side of 5w30's at 9.8 cSt @ 100*C. Some 5w30's are over 11 cSt @ 100*C. The PP is almost like 'splitting the difference'.

Back