Should I expect nasty black smelly oil?

This is my first GDI engine. I always do my own oil changes. I have read fuel dilution and carbon/soot are major issues with GDI engines.
Should I always expect the oil to come out pitch black and smelling of fuel or ?

What has been your experiences?
Depends, what Oil are you using?

Hyundai 2.0 turbo motor. It will be almost exclusively short tripped as wife's car. Maybe 5,000-7,000 miles a year. 5,000 mile oci. Usually top tier reg unleaded fuel. Driven normally. Will be using HPL 0w-40 premium oil this first oil change. It recommends 5w-30 but also says 5w-40 is ok too.
Yes, it will.

Admittedly the first time I owned a GDI engine I did notice the fuel smell and how quickly the oil turned dark in the engine. And I was mostly a highway commuting, eighty miles a day, driver. 2018 Chevy Silverado.

What's the reason for going with a lower viscosity oil for a short tripped engine?
There is less resistance at KV40. Oil will flow better at lower temperatures. One might not warm up oil at all to operating temperature during short trips. Also, if it is Euro XW30 oil, with MB229.52, HTHS is anyway at minimum 3.5cP. So, protection wise, xW30 or XW40 with MB229.5X, BMW LL01/04, VW 504.00/507.00, VW502.00, VW511.00, has the same minimum HTHS. Rule of thumb: As thick as necessary, as thin as possible.

Back