First oil filter you ever bought

Gosh, it was the 1970s, but it was probably a Sears branded filter because my first job in High School was part time at Sears. 10% discount and I was in the store anyway.

It was a Fram orange can PF24 if I recall for my 78 Jeep Cj7 in high school - I still got that Jeep but I don't use Frams anymore except the Ultra from time to time.

A Fram Orange Can before I knew BITOG existed. The ole OCOD wasn't smiled on back then.

First oil change I did myself on my own vehicle (therefore the first stuff I personally bought) was in 2007 shortly after getting my first vehicle
2005 Ford Ranger 2.3L
Purolator L20195 and QS "HM w/ Slick 50" 10w30

Shortly after (was doing 3k OCIs)
K&N whatever and the same oil
From what I believe was 40K miles when I got the truck to around 80K, it was this usually this oil (or G-oil) and whatever filter. Usually Purolators or Bosch filters.

Those were the days where High Mileage oil was proprietary, NO API endorsements, and had weird additives.
Its amazing though. The hate Slick 50 got and still does for "ruining engines" I ran it for years (Id never run it personally now). Rollback/clearance oil lasted a long time (this QS formula and Free after rebate G-Oil were usually what I ran) and that engine still runs....at a half a million miles...
Ford plastic has all but crumbled. Tune ups every few years. Early roll on bedliner looks like crap. Transmissions, rear diff, and cats been replaced. AC still runs cold. Dad still drives it daily never had the valve covers off. No need. No leaks

I don’t remember what my first oil filter was, but it was probably a Fram EG with Castrol gtx or maybe a purolator classic when Walmart carried those. My first car was a $500 1991 Subaru Legacy L 2.2 drove it until the head gaskets went and had to run it without a thermostat.

Fram extraguard. I was 20,1995. Bought it local woolworths. For a 1985 Isuzu I mark hatchback. That was my first oil change. May 1995. In garage. Dont remember the oil though,was probably local mobil gas station.
Here's a kicker! That Woolworths closed,January 1996. I had shopped it one more time..I found an original receipt! I'm terrific condition,in garage,2013.on floor, against wall/floor. I bought another gram extra guard lol.

Back