First oil filter you ever bought

I saw someone mentioned Lee filters. That brings back memories. I think I might have used them once or twice back in the day.

Pep Boys...was basically a purolater with their name on it. I bought it with 5 qts of Mobil Super 10w/40. I was a poor teenager with his 1st car. Why I remember this so vividly some 40yrs later when I cannot remember what I ate yesterday is beyond me LOL!!

Direct Connection filter for a 440 (was touted as being better for a 6-pack), 31 years back.
Was free with a 6 pack of dealership 30w earl.

Motorcraft FL-1A here. I know for sure I changed the oil plenty of times on my '87 Mustang GT. I did briefly drive an '86 Merkur XR4Ti, which surprisingly also used the FL-1A (it was a 4 cylinder turbo), but I don't remember if I changed the oil on that one or not. I was a junior in high school, dad was paying for it, so it may have had all its service done at the dealer.

Most likely a Fram for one or the other of the two Novas we used to have (Couldn't tell which one though, since we had them both at the same time!). It almost certainly came from Kmart.... Kmart used to have a pretty good auto parts selection believe it or not.

Forget the name of it.....but it was the Fram w the Teflon inside. 16 years old...first car....bought it was a now defunct department store called Zair...... Dad always used Frams....still does....asked him why and he said his dad only used Frams. I like orange too. i graduated from UF...Go Gators. As good of a reason as any I suppose.

Im still partial and brand loyal to Fram and mostly use orange cans still and Fram jobbers in my service department and on my trucks and personal cars. Never had a single problem.

I personally don’t think oil filters are that important if you follow OEM OCIs. Anything meeting spec will do just fine. Not worth spending on ”designer filters” IMO and experience.
Zayre! I remember the “June cheap-cheap savings bug” sale! Long gone…Pretty sure my first filter would have been a Fram PH8A for my ‘70 429 Thunderbird, from Nationwise Auto Parts. Used to buy everything there. Both long gone… Detecting a pattern.

Last edited:
Autolite FL1A for the Ford's in my life in 1968. Walked down to the corner to the Western Auto store. Was back in 5 minutes. Lived close enough to throw a rock on their roof.

Back