First gun recommendations...

G19 is a great choice unless you have larger hands. If so, hold a G45. With the G45 you get the shorter, compact slide of the G19 with the full G17 grip.

By the way, the first gun I ever owned was a Smith & Wesson 5906. Stainless steel, double stack, DA/SA with safety, 9mm.

It was bought to have a high capacity 9mm, and I chose what my neighbor, a Virginia Beach police officer, had been issued. It fit my hand well when I held it in her living room, it was stainless steel (I wanted corrosion resistance) and it was from a quality company.

I lucked out. It was a good gun.

I already knew how to shoot..but barely. I can see the mis-steps in making that first purchase and I just plain lucked out that I don’t end up with something inappropriate, unreliable, or inappropriate.

Not lately, it’s not. Double the cost of 9mm.

Depends on where you are shopping. Our local gun shop sells 38 special 125/130/158GR boxes of 50 for under 20 bucks. 357 rounds just about the same under 20 bucks for 50. 9mm boxes of 50 are only a dollar or two cheaper and the selection is slim.

Also the training with a mix 357 and 38 rounds can be useful. We used to shove a 357 round or 2 in with the 38's and practice targets.

That’s interesting. Mind explaining the reasoning? What does one lose or gain by using a 10/22 w/25 mag vs a bolt action? I would think one could learn the same thing and get more rounds on target in less time.

Depends on the shooter's self control. Temptation is high to start hosing the target and not learn the fundamentals. More rounds on target in less time isn't necessarily better for new shooters. I'd be tempted to teach someone to shoot with a 10/22 and a single shot magazine until they understood sight picture, hold, and trigger control.

10/22s are great long guns. I have a mutt 10/22 rifle with a 22" barrel, full size stock and Tech Sights. 1000s of rounds at targets from 25-50 yards offhand, sitting, prone.

tech sights.jpg

The only problem with your outlined steps, particularly in step 2, is that the “point the barrel thing” and “squeeze the bang thing” is where the real skill development lies.

In the presence of noise, and recoil, much of what needs to be learned to develop that skill gets lost.

The rest can be learned under low stress, classroom environment.

I keep a set of dummy rounds around, so I can teach a first time shooter, of a particular firearm, be it revolver, pistol, AR, or even Garand, can be done under good light, low noise, and low stress.

Then, when we go to the range, adding in noise, recoil, and difficulty communicating happens on top of a solid understanding of how the gun works, and the shooter is far more successful.

Given the incredibly bad shooting I see on a daily basis, (barely on a silhouette at five yards, center of mass hit only randomly) there are a lot, a whole lot, of shooters who never learned the critical parts of step 2.

And who simply repeat bad skills, and bad habits, over and over, at great expense, without ever improving.

It was gratifying to look at the dozen or so other shooters on the range the day I took my daughter for the first time, and realize that she was outperforming all of them in both accuracy and speed.
No doubt. I teach starting with dry practice as well. It makes the transition smoother to live fire. I also like electronic ear pro which makes the noice issue less of an issue. The Peltor SportTacs are fantastic. Highly recommend them. High quality and very reasonable price wise.

People generally cannot shoot. It because most people don’t get the proper training. Or don’t keep up with the maintenance of the skill. Also ego is a big thing for men. Most men cannot admit they don’t know how to do something.

All that said, long guns are certainly better for accuracy. I just don’t subscribe to idea that semi auto are difficult to learn how to operate. Learning to shoot a gun well is hard, but to learning operate a gun isn’t.

That’s interesting. Mind explaining the reasoning? What does one lose or gain by using a 10/22 w/25 mag vs a bolt action? I would think one could learn the same thing and get more rounds on target in less time.

I've actually heard people say it should be a SINGLE SHOT bolt action. I'm not saying I agree, but some of the thought process is around a deliberate decision to load as well as a need to make every shot count sort of thing.

I won't tell Mrs DuckRyder you called her granny... ;)

On another subject...

I'm constantly baffled at these sorts of threads and people recommending 38 snubbies - I get they are easy to operate mechanically but they are not easy nor pleasurable to shoot - very short sight radius - generally sharp recoil. Not something that encourages practice.

I won't tell Mrs DuckRyder you called her granny... ;)

On another subject...

I'm constantly baffled at these sorts of threads and people recommending 38 snubbies - I get they are easy to operate mechanically but they are not easy nor pleasurable to shoot - very short sight radius - generally sharp recoil. Not something that encourages practice.
Ha! Good she’d probably take me out. 🤣

I’m with you, man. Snubbies are great for concealing, but not so much for shooting. I don’t recommend them for first time shooters.

Recent first gun purchase thread/comments sparked my interest... What do you recommend for a new gun owner?

I lean toward recommending a full or compact 9mm pistol. Nothing against revolvers or shotguns though. I just find people become comfortable with pistols faster and are less intimidated by the recoil. Teaching someone how operate a semi auto isn’t difficult either. Most folks pick it up very quickly.

This isn’t intended to be a debate about the effectiveness of one caliber vs another or this brand vs that brand.
Love my M&P Shield in 9MM.

.22lr Taurus TX22 or 942 Revolver
.380 Browning 1911 or Taurus Spectrum
9mm Walther PPS/PPQ or HK VP9SK
Target shooting..Browning Buckmark or Ruger MK IV .22lr

Depends on where you are shopping. Our local gun shop sells 38 special 125/130/158GR boxes of 50 for under 20 bucks. 357 rounds just about the same under 20 bucks for 50. 9mm boxes of 50 are only a dollar or two cheaper and the selection is slim.

Also the training with a mix 357 and 38 rounds can be useful. We used to shove a 357 round or 2 in with the 38's and practice targets.
Call me skeptical that your local California gun shop sells ammo at half the price of shops here, and well below the price of online ammo shops.

It‘s like claiming that you’re paying $1.89/gallon for unleaded.

Not credible. Not lately.

When’s the last time you bought ammo?

My first gun purchase was S&W M&P 9mm. I tried a lot of guns and it was the winner. I found the SA/DA to be too complicated. Guns like Glock 19 are very simple. No safeties, decockers, or palm safeties. And it's easy to break down and clean.

My third gun was a .22LR pistol. Buckmark. It's picky about ammo, stovepipes. Would not recommend for a new gun owner. But my S&W AR profile in .22LR has been flawless and is a lot of fun to shoot.

Recent first gun purchase thread/comments sparked my interest... What do you recommend for a new gun owner?

I lean toward recommending a full or compact 9mm pistol. Nothing against revolvers or shotguns though. I just find people become comfortable with pistols faster and are less intimidated by the recoil. Teaching someone how operate a semi auto isn’t difficult either. Most folks pick it up very quickly.

This isn’t intended to be a debate about the effectiveness of one caliber vs another or this brand vs that brand.
Will it be concealed carry? Doesnt sound like it based on your post so a mid size 9MM would be my choice.
We have concealed carry permits so we have a Taurus Millennium 9mm (which isnt that concealed friendly and used mostly at the range)
Taurus 38 special revolver, was a concealed but more home protection now and a TINY Taurus 380 acp which fits in the palm of my hand, can even be carried in a case on the belt or pocket.

I think operating a semi is far more complicated than a revolver and many more things that can go wrong.
What is missing from your post is what is the purpose of the gun, you have a bunch of stuff mentioned in your post all the way up to rifles ... None of these are the same or same purpose.

Crap, now that I read the rest of the posts you would be buying a gun to learn to shoot.
If so buy the type of gun you will be using and not anything else. It wouldnt make much sense to learn on something you will never be using. The guns I mentioned we learn to shoot with, actually at our local range we had someone from the range with us the first few times, they also rent the guns so we had a wide choice to choose from.

If you want something easy on the recoil then a mid size 9MM. Which is my petite wifes favorite, it shoots like a Cadillac drives. Real smooth. A Taurus 9mm G2C which is an updated model of the PT-111 G2 She is dead on scary accurate with it. Its her favorite, says the 38 and 380 hurt her hands. She just about tied for 1st in our concealed carry shooting test, blew out the center star with one tiny piece left, the other shooter had it all gone..

Last edited:
For a pure starter I always reccomend a 22 LR - great for building skills.

For someone with a little more experience its hard to beat the 38/357 - you can use it in a pistol OR a rifle.

You can shoot fairly cheap 38's or load hot 357's.

A 357 SIZZLES out of a rifle with a strike power similar to a 223.

Last edited:
Call me skeptical that your local California gun shop sells ammo at half the price of shops here, and well below the price of online ammo shops.

It‘s like claiming that you’re paying $1.89/gallon for unleaded.

Not credible. Not lately.

When’s the last time you bought ammo?

Just a few weeks ago at Ammo Brothers. Local gun shop near me. I get a pretty good discount from them as well as my local gunsmith Orange County Firearms. Although OCF is more specialized in custom work. They did such a good job on my 10mm Delta Elite I had to get rid of it. It ended up being too much gun for me.

I never felt comfortable carrying cocked and locked. Even as a young man in the Sea Bees I felt more at home with a revolver and Wingmaster on overseas armory and roving watches. Our commanding officer did not force us to carry the standard issue 45. Most of us kept our personal 357's in the armory. A few of the guys managed to get ahold of the Glocks but they were really new on the market and very expensive.

Ammo Brothers are the best prices and almost always have plenty of ammo in stock. Do not take my word for it. You do have to call as the price and availability changes daily.

Just a few weeks ago at Ammo Brothers. Local gun shop near me. I get a pretty good discount from them as well as my local gunsmith Orange County Firearms. Although OCF is more specialized in custom work. They did such a good job on my 10mm Delta Elite I had to get rid of it. It ended up being too much gun for me.

I never felt comfortable carrying cocked and locked. Even as a young man in the Sea Bees I felt more at home with a revolver and Wingmaster on overseas armory and roving watches. Our commanding officer did not force us to carry the standard issue 45. Most of us kept our personal 357's in the armory. A few of the guys managed to get ahold of the Glocks but they were really new on the market and very expensive.

Nor did I - but I feel 100 time safer cocked and locked than carrying a hammerless pistol in condition 0.

You claimed 9mm for $18-$19 a box.

The link shows it for $32 a box. In stock.

Much more in line with current prices.

Listing ammo with a price of $20/box, with none in stock, is not the same as selling it for that price.

There are lots of Mom & Pop gun shops that have old prices on their websites, since that ammo sold out two years ago at that price. They simply haven’t updated.

Here‘s a local store listing .38 for the price you’ve claimed.

But I’ve walked in their store. That ammo hasn’t been in stock in two years. So, listing a price on a website, when it’s not being sold at that price, is the same as finding $1.89 unleaded signs on a closed gas station.

It‘s nostalgia- not reality.

Current prices are vastly different from 2020.

You claimed 9mm for $18-$19 a box.

The link shows it for $32 a box. In stock.

Much more in line with current prices.

Listing ammo with a price of $20/box, with none in stock, is not the same as selling it for that price.

There are lots of Mom & Pop gun shops that have old prices on their websites, since that ammo sold out two years ago at that price. They simply haven’t updated.

Here‘s a local store listing .38 for the price you’ve claimed.

But I’ve walked in their store. That ammo hasn’t been in stock in two years. So, listing a price on a website, when it’s not being sold at that price, is the same as finding $1.89 unleaded signs on a closed gas station.

It‘s nostalgia- not reality.

Current prices are vastly different from 2020.
As someone who has recently gotten interested in getting my CC permit (which takes forever in NY and still precludes carrying in NYC....where you are more likely to need it). I am curious as to what ammo cost before the 'shortages'?

Back