First gun recommendations...

Recent first gun purchase thread/comments sparked my interest... What do you recommend for a new gun owner?

I lean toward recommending a full or compact 9mm pistol. Nothing against revolvers or shotguns though. I just find people become comfortable with pistols faster and are less intimidated by the recoil. Teaching someone how operate a semi auto isn’t difficult either. Most folks pick it up very quickly.

This isn’t intended to be a debate about the effectiveness of one caliber vs another or this brand vs that brand.

That's a broad question - besides shooting for fun, what is the intended purpose?

Being concerned about recoil causing bad habits is fair, but that can be managed by picking the right gun/caliber. A C8 rifle chambered in .223 really isn't intimidating to fire. Nor is a 12-gauge with a light load of birdshot.

Agree, start with a .22 or .380 and go from there depending on what someone wants to do with it....

For defense; the gun that one can comfortably carry and best access, operate unexpectedly, quickly, and repeatedly, possibly in an enclosed location (e.g. stairwell) with no hearing protection.

My advice is to call the gun shops or ranges in your area and find some classes to take. Software is way more important than hardware. Then go rent a variety of different pistols at a shooting range and see what suits you. Starting with a .22 rifle is excellent advice if you don't have much experience and it's lotsa fun, too. For pistols, I would advise starting with a quality brand, and only look at models that have been on the market a while. Glock, Sig, Baretta, Walther, etc. Start looking at a Glock 19 first and go from there.

There are a lot of variables to consider but the most important is what the shooter is comfortable and accurate with and can operate and clear any malfunctions from quickly and safely as well as having the ability to store it safely when not in use. I've found that for some people that's a revolver, some a semi-auto pistol, some a shotgun, etc. I'd recommend most people go to a range and try a few out and find what works best for them.

First: Ruger .22 Auto, S&W Victory, or similar.
If working up to a carry gun, then a Glock 44 or S&W M&P 22 make sense.

Then: See how that goes before moving on. They may hate autos. They may hate the grip shape. They may have some physical issue with operating the slide or using the sights (red dot time).
If that was enough and they are done with the entire idea, the .22 pistol can easily be sold. Whether the firearms market is up or down, a .22 pistol is easy to move.

I lean toward recommending a full or compact 9mm pistol.

A compact 9mm is the last pistol I'd recommend for a new shooter due to sharp recoil and short sight radius. Flinch city. Is the intent to make noise or lean how to hit the intended target?

Agree that a .22 rifle is easy to shoot and understand for a new shooter. Semi-autos are fun but a bolt action slows things down and gives the shooter time to think between shots. A semi-auto can quickly turn into a bullet hose. Then maybe a .22 pistol of some kind but that's the 2nd gun...

Ammo remains in short supply and new shooters could get discouraged not being able to find any. The good thing is they don't remember what it cost in the good old days.

.357 for a first gun?:rolleyes:

That's a broad question - besides shooting for fun, what is the intended purpose?

Being concerned about recoil causing bad habits is fair, but that can be managed by picking the right gun/caliber. A C8 rifle chambered in .223 really isn't intimidating to fire. Nor is a 12-gauge with a light load of birdshot.
Personal protection. First time gun owners looking for advise on what to get by and large fit into this category. Children are not really applicable as the parent is already a gun owner if the kid grows up shooting. And most prospective new owners are not looking to go straight into big game hunting or 3-gun matches. That narrow it down enough?

I pretty much always recommend people start with a .22LR. Rifle actually first. Then handgun.

Mainly to get the safety, fundamentals and accuracy down pat.

Some folks don't realize that 9mm in a light gun can surprise new shooters who are light gripping. If a shooter has the fundamentals down, then 9mm will be easier.
To learn to shoot, sure. But not as a fist purchase recommendation for a new gun owner.

I would not go straight to sub compact or micro for sure. I don’t find that to be much of issue in my experience with grip. I have taught small framed females to shoot with g17s with zero issues other than first time jitters.

Personal protection. First time gun owners looking for advise on what to get by and large fit into this category. Children are not really applicable as the parent is already a gun owner if the kid grows up shooting. And most prospective new owners are not looking to go straight into big game hunting or 3-gun matches. That narrow it down enough?
For a first gun, that was expected to be used for defensive purposes, I used to suggest a .357 revolver for its simple manual of arms - pull trigger. There was a time when .357 was the most effective round, based on police experience. So, .38 for practice and .357 for carry in a reliable platform made a lot of sense.

But ammo has changed, and there is no statistical advantage to .357 with modern defensive ammo. The revolver is heavier, more expensive to purchase, and has lower capacity than a good 9mm.

Given the reliability of a good 9mm like the Glock 19, and the higher ammo capacity, better ergonomics, lower ammo cost and greater ease of follow up shots, along with more numerous accessories like holsters and sights, and I’m going to suggest the Glock 19.

If I had to own just one gun, I would be hard pressed to choose, but the G19 tops the list.

Small enough to be concealed but large enough to give a good grip for most hands. Good ergonomics. 15+1 ammo capacity. Total reliability. Moderate cost.

I taught my kids to shoot handgun with a Glock 19*. My youngest was 13 when she learned. On her first range day, she was putting most of the rounds in the X ring at seven yards. Far better than the average shooter I see at the range.

If a 13 year old, female, new shooter can master a Glock 19, with proper training, anyone can.

*She got great training. This is a critical point. Her first day learning to shoot was on the US Navy’s shooting simulator with a small arms instructor, not me. The weapons were real guns, modified with a nitrogen actuator for the cycling of the action, and a laser in the barrel to score hits when the firing pin hit the sensor.

She learned M-4 and M-9 with simulated firearms, and got the fundamentals of shooting down in a low noise, no recoil, supervised, and precision scored environment. It was the best way to learn. When she transitioned from the M-9 to the G-19, she already had the fundamentals down.

A compact 9mm is the last pistol I'd recommend for a new shooter due to sharp recoil and short sight radius. Flinch city. Is the intent to make noise or lean how to hit the intended target?

Agree that a .22 rifle is easy to shoot and understand for a new shooter. Semi-autos are fun but a bolt action slows things down and gives the shooter time to think between shots. A semi-auto can quickly turn into a bullet hose. Then maybe a .22 pistol of some kind but that's the 2nd gun...

Ammo remains in short supply and new shooters could get discouraged not being able to find any. The good thing is they don't remember what it cost in the good old days.

.357 for a first gun?:rolleyes:
What are you calling a compact? Something like an M&P Shield or LCP is the subcompact or micro segment and the G19 is in the compact segment for reference.

The topic is first purchase recommendation not first time shooting, period...

If your adult neighbor said, “Hey, I’m thinking about buying my first gun, what do you recommend?” Your response would be, first - 22 rifle and second - 22 pistol?

That’s fine if that is the answer. I’m just making sure I’m clearly understanding your recommendation.

What are you calling a compact? Something like an M&P Shield or LCP is the subcompact or micro segment and the G19 is in the compact segment for reference.

The topic is first purchase recommendation not first time shooting, period...

If your adult neighbor said, “Hey, I’m thinking about buying first gun, what do you recommend?” Your response would be, first - 22 rifle and second - 22 pistol?

That’s fine if that is the answer. I’m just making sure I’m clearly understanding your recommendation.
I'm sorry but your OP was NOT clear on what level of knowledge this shooter has.

NOW you make it clearer, but still we are left questioning.

CLEARLY. What guns has this person shot and what does he/she like and dislike?

It's a very personal thing and does not become clear until after hundreds of rounds. I THOUGHT I liked Sig 22X series, 226, 229 etc......at FIRST but the grip and trigger just did not work WELL for me over time. Glock - I don't like chubby stock Glocks AT ALL. Trigger, grip etc. BUT any P80? Wow, I love the grip, super accurate, fun. 1911? Super accurate, love the grip and trigger. Weight the same as a small block. Ultra accurate with a Colt Trooper, love shooting .38 and some 357, but not a carry gun. I love my CZ and maybe near the top accurate, but don't carry. I carry my SA XD sub in .45ACP when hiking with cougars in the area .........and so on.

Can you loan him/her some time at the range to get a direction? Just as a starting point.

For city concealed carry I absolutely love the little Sig P365. I can hit within a basketball at 25 yards, easy. All day long. If I concentrate at the range, really use my discipline - connected groups. Not bragging. It's the gun and the feel. I'm almost 64 and my eyes too.

I dunno, it may take some trial and error. The only guns I have sold off were just not a good fit and just sat in the safe.

I think the thing I left out in my first post: try a bunch of different guns, at the range.

Spending $100 on rentals will be far cheaper than buying a gun you don't like, and having to trade it in.

When we went to get my wife her concealed carry gun, we targeted (sorry) single stack 9mm. I had her try the G43, M&P Shield, and the Walther CCP. The CCP won the comparison hands down. Better fit for her hand, less recoil, similar capacity.

I liked the G43 out of that group.

But she did not.

These days, when she joins me at the range, she prefers the G19 to her own Beretta 92, a gun that she chose due to her familiarity with the M9. She kept the Beretta, and it remains a good gun, but she actually likes shooting the Glock 19 a bit more.

How a gun feels at the counter, and how it feels under recoil, are very, very different things.

I love 1911s, for example. They just feel right to me.

But a 1911 without a beavertail grip safety tears up the web of my hand. I only know that from some range time with one.

One of the challenges in recommending anything (first gun, first car) is understanding both the person and their requirements. Skill, experience, and needs all vary.

That said, a Glock 19 will work for most people. Start with trying that one out... ;)

.380 is a mistake... ammunition cost is too high.

Now a more experienced person can carry one.
My wife carries a .380 but trains with a 9mm.
Wish we had that problem here...you can't even find 380...

But yeah...visit a range where you can rent various firearms and try them out...kinda like test driving a car/truck...

Back