Which pistols etc should I select to shoot at the range?

I'll put as many details as I can since I can't reply as frequently to answer many questions.. I would for sure be considered a first-time shooter. Never been to a range. Always wanted to shoot. Never shot actual firearms before.. May have thought I was cool handling and shooting Beretta 92F or M9 "EBay Plastic" one in my youth.. being able to insert a magazine and rack slide back and forth to shoot something that couldn't knock over a half full soda can (? 6mm plastic BB) in my youth and much to my young and stupid days.... so, again, no experience shooting a firearm. Would say I'm comfortable with the feel of one in the hand.

Ok so "What is this all about then." Okay... It seems like I have the opportunity to go to the range in Bourbonnais, Illinois sometime before we kick off our weekend outing starting in Manteno Illinois. I probably have enough money to do *some* shooting at the range. Right On Target is the name of the place and it looks like they have attractive rates.. I wonder if I can get away with shooting for an hour or maybe even two.. with about $50 to $100? How does the price of ammo look... https://www.rightontarget233.com/rental-guns/?categories=38

So, setting up that context there, without spending all my money and I need to see how that will go and what they want for fees, they seem reasonable.. I am thinking of getting there when they open and do some shooting! Time is on my side. Hopefully I can swing some shooting time with my budget.

Which brings me to the point of this thread, and here we go.. which gun or guns should I select?

I view this as almost a "test my knowledge" so I can select what I will enjoy the most (and not waste money on ammo, even if they do have some "any gun" option.) My first thought was a Glock 19. I became confused when I saw they still have a Glock 17 available. I was never clear on the differences between a Glock 17 and a Glock 19. 9mm or 9x19 of course. They seem to list both as a Gen5; I suppose as long as they are the regular ones and not "Slimline." (I'm in New Jersey and under no circumstances have any knowledge of firearms beyond what I read here, see on YouTube, and that's about it. I won't even dare say see in movies. I take an interest in things, and I learn. So perhaps do or should we all..)

I do not think I would be interested in shooting a .40 (.40S&W I am not aware of other. 40 I think this would not be an enjoyable gun to shoot.)

Again, first time at the range.

If they charge "by the gun" and I get "two".. maybe the second one a .45? We all know what comes to mind.. a 1911? I've held a Colt 1991 "Government Series 70" in the hand, but never fired it. Which manufacturer do you feel makes the best 1911?

I get muddy and my knowledge falls off when you reference other makes. H&K, Smith and Wesson (I think I've referenced all semiautomatics; not sure I want to shoot a revolver, if they even have any;) Kahr, Kimber, Taurus... whatever else they have, if they even have a Beretta (The Scarface gun!!....) Ruger is one I'm not sure I'd want to handle for personal reasons. These all blur together and I don't know which is good, which one I should select.. it's not like I'm going to shoot 20 guns in an hour....

If they have rifle available and I believe they do, I'm wondering what the best .223 is as I thank @Astro14 for walking me through the difference between .223 and .556 and that .223 will work in a .556 and .556 is a little more powerful than .223 so for me I'd like .223 to help with shot placement. I like to think I'd be a good shot...

....which, again, technique. Having never shot...... but read about it...... I'd probably focus on the front sight, try pulling trigger at a slow to medium speed, and do my darndest to bot jerk the gun at the last moment of trigger pull. Youtube seems to think focusing on the front sight is the key to key-holing shots. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Maybe I'll keep that moving target if it doesn't look terrible lol...

"What kind of gun would I like, what would be too much gun" Well I am 6ft tall and about 240lbs and getting in some push-ups so I can handle a weapon decently if this range thing actually happens. If it won't take ALL my money.. gotta have money for gas and HPL. (That's what next weekend is.. Gas, shooting maybe, and HPL. And the board. And going to the races. 4 out of 5 of those usually don't happen.) I'm probably no slouch but I'm probably very far from experts. I've never shot but I'm not afraid of weapons and what I mean by that is that I know how to load one up (you pull the slide back after the magazine goes in.. your weapon is then "hot." Range etiquette says keep your finger out of the trigger guard. Obey all range rules. That is what I mean by that) and I actually think I will have only a few "bad" shots, which is if the weapon surprises me so much that I wasn't ready for it (hold it a little tighter? Something like that) and I think this could be an awesome thing.

Hoping it will all come in under $100 because if it does then I can.

So. What guns should I select?
Alternate title: What guns would YOU select or recommend? And why?

If you're just looking for a fun time target shooting, and have very limited experience with handguns, choose any of the .22 semi-autos they offer. The recoil is very low making it an easy round to shoot on target and have fun with. Try all 3 they offer in your hand and pick one the feels right. Some ranges will let you try one for several rounds and then switch to another. If you want to try something a little bigger, go for any of the 9mm.s Relatively easy round to shoot in "range" ammo of lower power/bullet size (115gr), versus others especially for a novice shooter, but obviously has some more power to it than the .22. Ironically, when I took my wife shooting several years ago, and she tried every caliber I had, she liked my Glock 23 .40S&W best. She is an interesting woman.

Whatever you decide, learn as much about firearms safety and operation as you can before you go. Loads of YouTube stuff out there and some is quite good. Lots of guides with fundamentals that will help you shoot better too. If I can give one piece of advice to make you a better shooter (besides all the cardinal rules of safety) is to figure out which eye dominant you are. I've been a police firearms instructor since 1984 and am always surprised at how many shooters are unaware. Once we have that established, most begin to shoot way better and more accurately. Beyond that, yes focus on front sight, grip the weapon securely (but not too tightly that you shake), and squeeze/press the trigger gently until it fires. It should surprise you when it goes off and will limit muzzle drop due to anticipation. Good luck and have fun!

My home is on acreage and I can shoot in my backyard. I only tend to shoot when family, friends or co-workers are over.

In my opinion, the best pistols to have fun shooting are not what the average person wants to carry concealed. I think people overlook the trigger feel more today than they did in years past.

I much prefer the trigger on a good 1911 over any striker fired pistol. I currently rely on a striker fired pistol as my house gun however.

I have the most fun shooting when I'm plinking with my Browning Buck Mark .22 or my Browning lever action .22 at cans. I keep a trashcan in the garage dedicated to saving rinsed tin cans and bottles for plinking.

You’ve never shot. So start with a .22. It’s cheaper, and easier to control. There’s o good reason imo to jump to a larger caliber with more recoil, and start to learn to flinch or whatnot.

Basics training would be good too for a first timer. Stuff beyond the rules of firearm safety (which you need to learn) but basics that will help you shoot better and not create bad habits from day 1.

I honestly recommend lessons on GRIP. Someone showing you that part will save you tons of effort and hassle down the road. I mean grip CAN vary from person to person, but there are some basics that are tough to pick up from reading or YouTube.

Also, you must drill the 4 most basic rules of firearm safety at ALL TIMES.

The 4 universal rules of gun safety are:

1. Treat all guns as if they are always loaded.
  2. Never let the muzzle point at anything that you are not willing to destroy.
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot.
  4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

So are we saying to make it .22 and 9mm rather than 9mm and either "more 9mm" or 9mm & .45? It's going to be .. tough for me to get over a mental block of shooting .22. Maybe I'll figure it out and do that, though. I think the reasoning why people are saying it is "Develop good habits" and "It is easy to hit the target." What even are some .22 pistols, should I choose to heed that advice? Or do they even offer .380 ? Maybe that could be a good move (.380 is 9mm short. I don't know nothing about guns but I also don't know everything about guns. Some people might not understand why I'd even offer any procrastination about shooting a .22 versus maybe something perhaps similar... 2 people do, and one of them is in this thread already, but my reasons why are personal and not directly relevant to actual shooting and developing technique from the first hour on etc so ill move on from there to the rest of the thread.)

Maybe the Glock 42 380 they offer?

And, the person I was going to ask some things of has entered the thread so I'll begin making a plan and asking some questions so that the best possible time can be had.. (in no particular order, but I will try to keep it grouped. Anyone can answer:)

1. Are we considering Right On Target in Bourbonnais, Illinois a better range than Top Guns in Terre Haute, Indiana? https://www.indianatopguns.com/ @Astro14 might like that places name, lol.

2. Is it fine to be selecting Glock as the pistol? Or is Glock kind of the "oddball" of the firearms world? (Long trigger pulls due to how they do their safety...)

3. (Related to 2) is the Glock "long pull" how they do their safety switch on every pistol? Is it VERY different from shooting other makes? Kind of like Tesla vs every other car? Except we are of course talking about firearms here

4. (Related to Glocks) They offer Gen4 and Gen5 choices I am still looking at the list.. Which to choose?

5. Guns don't have "hare triggers," right? Isn't it that, as you squeeze the trigger.. true, try not to jerk at the last second, but that you won't know exactly the moment the hammer hits the round and the gun fires until it happens? (Meaning, this is why we practice shooting, so that you know how your gun feels?) Meaning that if you master a squeeze that is not too fast and not too slow you'll be okay? (I might be getting at "Aiming vs shooting.")

6. Another reason about Glock.. my replica BB gun (again, of no comparison to the actual), it had a "drop-free mag." You would press that button on the side and it would drop out. So then....
A. Do ALL semi-autos "lock the slide open" after they have fired the last round?
B. Loading.. You'd insert the magazine, probably tap it against your hand so it clicks in, then pull back/rack the slide one time to get that first round in.. and, if Glock, your safety is always integrated into the trigger pull? (Never pointed at anyone, always downrange and finger always outside of trigger guard, of course. My Dad was a Marine but he failed spectacularly on the part about showing me about firearms. All I know is what I know from talking to people, which is here, and YouTube which I then have to fact-check with @Astro14 to see if it is good info.)

7. WILL the range go over the basic operation of a firearm, i.e. the loading and unloading and I am sure the range rules and safety rules with me? Or only if I ask?

8. Should I sit the AR-15 out this time?

Oh, and. @JHZR2 I almost forgot. Say I have budgeted "$100-$120".. is that prudent and reasonable to have a good hour or even two hours at the range? Or would I use that up in 15 minutes. You're right.. You have done this before and I surely absolutely have not!

Really liking that this has taken off.

I would shoot the gun that I planned on buying.....preferably a 9mm because ammo is more readily available and less costly....and....it's usually a manstopper.

Get a low recoil caliber to start with so you won't teach yourself to flinch and or jerk the trigger. Read up on the most reliable trouble free makes. A Glock 17 or 19 is a good place to start is you want a semi auto. 22 lr is a really a nice caliber to start shooting with.

A lot of questions among the rumination and extemporaneous posting…

So, let’s address them in order. A minor point, though, is that 5.56mm isn’t necessarily more powerful, it’s that it runs at higher pressure and has a longer chamber leade.

First, those four rules need to be committed to memeory, and you need to follow them while handling a gun. Be aware of your muzzle. Don’t “flag” anyone or anything with it. Most beginners fall short on that rule.

1. Either place will be fine as long as you have instruction
2. Nothing wrong with a Glock. I taught the kids with a Glock.
3. Glock’s safety is built into the trigger. It’s not a long pull, it’s a modest pull. Depress the safety as you pull the trigger, simple, instinctive.
4. Gen 4 and 5 have such minor differences that it really doesn’t matter.
5. Nothing modern has a “hair” trigger. They all require anywhere from about 4 to 12 lbs to operate. Striker fired guns, like the Glock, have a consistent trigger pull of 5-6 lbs. some double action guns have a long, heavy, 12 lb pull on the first round, light, crisp, 4lb pull on the subsequent rounds.
6. A properly functioning semi auto handgun with a good magazine will lock the slide back on the last round.
6. Loading is as you describe. When you pull the slide back (slingshot method) or use the slide release lever (either method is OK) be certain to let the slide run forward by itself. Let the recoil spring load the round. Do not, under any circumstances, let your hand “ride the slide” as your hand on the slide slows down the speed and can induce malfunctions.
7. Be certain that they do. Read my comments below
8. Might be easier if you focus on one thing. You can learn both on the same day, but it’s double the effort, and requires double the time, which is, to be honest, double the budget.

You need some classroom time, to discuss and handle the gun, developing a good grip and understanding sight alignment and the basics of operation: loading, firing, unloading.

You need a coach or mentor on the range. Someone to walk you through this. Perhaps one of the HPL weekend attendees. Perhaps an instructor from the range. I regret that a change of plans has made me unable to go. I would be happy to serve that role, as well as supply the experience.

To learn the basics of shooting: grip, sight alignment, and trigger press, a low recoil gun is best. You can focus on those basics without worrying about recoil. I find the 9mm Glock 17/19 to be low recoil, and the first actual gun my kids shot was the Glock 19. The girls were 12 years old at the time.

With proper training, in a safe, quiet environment, you can handle a Glock on the range. I can’t convey everything you need to learn and understand in one forum post.

Jumping into the range cold, without that training, is asking too much.

There are a lot of good guns out there. A Glock is simple to understand and use because of the operating system: no external safety, striker fired. Single/double action hammer fired guns like the Beretta 92, a fine firearm, are more complex in how they operate. 1911s have excellent triggers, but like the Beretta, are more complex in how they operate, requiring the hammer to be cocked, the safety disengaged, and the grip safety depressed.

I would start with simple. A striker fired gun. Glock 17/19. Springfield XD. S&W M&P.

The kids, including the girls, also learned to shoot an AR-15. They used a 5.56mm M4 carbine style rifle. Loading, operating, firing ann AR-15 requires understanding of the rifle - magazine release, charging handle, bolt catch, safety, and how it operates. Once you get it, it’s simple, but the first time shooting an AR requires some detailed understanding of the rifle.

Again, they had a couple hours of classroom training. Learning to load, manipulate, grip, aim, and operate the rifle. They got much of their initial experience on a Navy Training Simulator. Real guns. Real operation, powered by high pressure nitrogen, but no live ammo. Laser scoring. Certified small arms instructors teaching them the basics.

I took my neighbor, a Royal Navy Officer (with some firearms experience) and his wife and parents (zero experience), shooting a few months ago. I had them over to the house. We walked through the four basic rules. We covered exactly how each firearm operated. We practiced grip, sight alignment, and trigger press with dry fire in my living room. They were trained and taught before we went to the range. They were safe, had a great time and were moderately good at hitting the target.

My point: extensive pre-range training in weapon safety, handling and operation made my kids, and my neighbor, successful on the range. It was a two step process for each of them. A morning in the simulator (or briefing/learning at the house). A range trip the next day with real guns and live ammo.

It doesn’t really matter what you choose to shoot: rifle, pistol, 9mm or .22 or 5.56, pick what you like, but make certain that you get some basic instruction and gun handling with the gun that you’re going to shoot before you set foot on the range with live ammo.

Last edited:
One final thought - if you ever make it down to Virginia Beach, I will provide all the instruction I discuss above, followed by the range time, firearms, and ammo. You would be my guest at the range where I am a member. It’s all on me.

I’ve offered the same thing to @AutoMechanic - one on one instruction. Range time, firearms, ammo. My guest.

I honestly recommend lessons on GRIP. Someone showing you that part will save you tons of effort and hassle down the road. I mean grip CAN vary from person to person, but there are some basics that are tough to pick up from reading or YouTube.

Also, you must drill the 4 most basic rules of firearm safety at ALL TIMES.

The 4 universal rules of gun safety are:

1. Treat all guns as if they are always loaded.
  2. Never let the muzzle point at anything that you are not willing to destroy.
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot.
  4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.
IMG_4991-980x871.jpg

I've seen this. I think it is super important. People look to see if a finger is on the trigger vs outside of the trigger guard.

Presently reading about RSOs and cease fires. https://keystoneshootingcenter.com/blog/how-to-practice-proper-gun-range-etiquette

Top Guns states I wouldn't be able to rent if by myself. Glad I looked. (I am by myself.) So I wouldn't be able to have Mother's Day Special lol.
Guns with (4).jpg
6thG4Gflyer.jpg

Really looking forward to Friday now 🙂 (In Illinois!)

Who will be there with you ? Many (most) ranges will not allow a first-timer to shoot by themselves.

Personally, I recommend a revolver to new shooters. They are easier to learn on and less hazardous to everyone involved. Furthermore, they are less expensive to purchase and shoot. Once a new shooter gets plenty of experience with a revolver, then "move up" to an automatic.

Last edited:
View attachment 155788

I've seen this. I think it is super important. People look to see if a finger is on the trigger vs outside of the trigger guard.

Presently reading about RSOs and cease fires. https://keystoneshootingcenter.com/blog/how-to-practice-proper-gun-range-etiquette

Top Guns states I wouldn't be able to rent if by myself. Glad I looked. (I am by myself.) So I wouldn't be able to have Mother's Day Special lol.View attachment 155789View attachment 155790

Really looking forward to Friday now 🙂 (In Illinois!)
You better check Illinois ranges too. They may require an FOID there.

Last edited:
I would recommend a 22lr like everyone else. I'm not a Glock person. They are great for the government because they are cheap and work. For entertainment you can do much better. I like the 1911 multiple safties for new shooters. Also read the manual before you go to the range so you know how it all works.

Back