First gun recommendations...

Why am I skeptical?

Because I recognize that a web listing is not the same as an actual price.

I showed you a similar web listing, for ammo available locally.

Except that it isn’t available. It‘s an outdated web listing.

Now, since you claimed $20/box of 50 for .38 special.

In California.

I would be willing to believe you if you showed a receipt.

Otherwise, making that claim is not helping fellow members.
Call a brick store and get prices.

If first gun also implies that the person would also be a first time shooter, I'd recommend what I started out with, a .22 rifle. If it has to be a handgun, I'd say a .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel. If it has to be a concealed carry handgun, a Kel-Tec p-32.

If the first gun needs to be a handgun, then a 22 revolver would be a good place to start imo. Or if they're at least familiar enough with handguns, then something like a Taurus TX22 would be a great starter. I'm not usually a taurus fan, but I do own a TX22. It's less money than comparable 22s, is basically identical in operation, disassembly and maintenence to a defense/combat pistol and it's a very reliable shooter. Also holds 16 rounds, so once you progress into training scenarios, its capacity simulates modern carryy/combat pistols too.

All the benefits of a 22 - low recoil, cheap and easy to teach, plus it's fairly representative of combat pistols.

My first gun for personal protection was a Glock 19. I did a lot of research beforehand and wanted first and foremost something that was reliable and that I could shoot well. I chose a Glock 19 because they were known for being reliable, durable and fairly accurate. A lot less internal parts that could fail and easy to replace parts in the field and the parts were pretty cheap price wise to buy and easy to get to have as spares in case something did fail. It is also not overly heavy when carrying concealed.

I also like that it does not have an external safety and I learned to keep my finger off the trigger until I was ready to shoot and that always made me very aware of where my trigger finger was at all times.

There are a lot of very nice defensive guns out there but all of mine are Glock because I like keeping the same platform for consistency.

These days I conceal carry a Glock 43 most of the time and recently bought a Glock 44 in 22LR so I could shoot more often a little cheaper and use the same holster as my G19.

The suggestions for this person to go to a range and rent various guns is a great one. That way they can try out different ones and find out what fits their hand the best and what they shoot well.

Back