Henry Homesteader 9mm Review

One note on pistol caliber carbines - the recoil is more than I expected. The extra barrel length allows the bullet to reach greater velocity, so, the recoil is higher. First time I fired my Ruger model 44 (a .44 magnum carbine) I was shocked by the recoil. Kicked harder than a Garand. A lightweight carbine, coupled with a powerful cartridge, added up to significantly more than I expected.

So, when I saw the rubber butt pad on your carbine, I smiled. Sure wish my Ruger had one!
Yeah, barrel length really matters if you have a 9mm you're trying to keep subsonic for a can. You find out that you pretty much HAVE to use 147gr bullets. I had loaded some 125gr Sierra HPs that were subs out of 4-5.5" pistol barrels but they picked up 250FPS out of a 16" barrel.

In addition to being inexpensive and reliable, they are also much easier to disassemble and clean. Not that a polymer mag needs a bunch of cleaning, but I do like to wipe down the follower and inside the body with a cotton cloth to remove the residue.
I'm thinking of going with a couple of 10 packs The Mag Shack offers. Their prices are pretty good, and they ship fast. I've got quite a few Glocks to feed.

One note on pistol caliber carbines - the recoil is more than I expected. The extra barrel length allows the bullet to reach greater velocity, so, the recoil is higher. First time I fired my Ruger model 44 (a .44 magnum carbine) I was shocked by the recoil. Kicked harder than a Garand. A lightweight carbine, coupled with a powerful cartridge, added up to significantly more than I expected.

So, when I saw the rubber butt pad on your carbine, I smiled. Sure wish my Ruger had one!
I experienced much the same with my Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum. It's far worse than my Winchester Model 94 in .30-30. Especially with heavy bullet handloads, like the old 265 grain Hornady Interlocks. They were discontinued a while back, but I still have a few boxes laying around.

1715171459832.jpeg

They sell Glock mag AR15 lowers, or G mag 80% lowers if that is legal in your state. You can put together a nice little 9mm PCC for a whole lot less money than 900 bucks...and it'll have rails on it to accept a light, red dot etc. If the D60 drums are a desire, you might have to trim a slight amount off the shoulder of the drum to get it to lock in the AR9 lower...but they do work just fine.

Back