Range Report - Springfield Echelon

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Mrs. Astro got me a Springfield Echelon for Christmas. For those of you unfamiliar, here is the web page: https://www.springfield-armory.com/echelon-series-handguns/echelon-handguns/. It is a striker fired 9mm, built on a polymer frame with a “chassis” that has the fire control and serial number, much like Sig did with the P320 and the P365. It has a standard magazine of 17 and comes with a 20 round extended magazine. The safety is built into the trigger, ala Glock.

This chassis allows for new grip modules, to better tailor the pistol to the shooter’s hand. It comes with several backstraps that are easily replaced to fit the shooter as well. I found that the factory installed option works perfectly for me.

I mounted a Trijicon RMR. https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-rmr

Some of the features that distinguish this pistol from any other polymer framed, striker fired, 9mm example:
1. The slide is pre-cut for an optic. Springfield has a unique set of pins and mounting holes that allow optics to be mounted directly to the slide. The optic is lower, more secure, and doesn’t require extra “bits” for fitting. You leave the factory sights in place, and they co-witness with the RMR. No need for “suppressor height” sights to be able to see them with a red dot mounted.
2. The mag release is ambidextrous.
3. The slide is “flared” and serrated both front and rear (see the photo below) making slide manipulation much easier. It is easier to grasp than a flat sided slide.
4. The aforementioned ability to fit and tailor the grip.

How does it shoot?

In a word - great.

The trigger is relatively smooth, with a good break and short reset.

The grip surface is, well, “grippy” without being harsh, and there are lots of little texture bits on the frame (for indexing your trigger finger on the frame). Recoil is light, because of the high grip.

I am getting used to the RMR, it’s a new concept for me. I sighted the RMR at 10 yards, and if I was doing my part, every round went into a quarter sized hole. Factory sights are set up for a “lollipop” sight picture, with the target just above the front sight, so, setting up the RMR dot to be dead on had the iron sights just below the bullseye.

I have put 500 rounds through it so far. Various brands of ball rounds, some Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST defensive rounds, and it has been flawless.

If I was asked a month ago - “What one gun would you choose if you could only have one for a variety of purposes?” I would have said, my Glock 19. Today? I would choose this one. It is that much better. That’s not knocking the Glock, it’s a great gun, but this Echelon has raised the performance bar.

So, adaptable, accurate, reliable, easier to manipulate and operate, with great sighting options. It is a really nice gun.

Shown here with the RMR and regular backstrap:

IMG_0106.jpeg

The flaring on the slide - allowing an easier grip. Notice how it narrows just forward of the ejection port and just forward of the rear sight.
IMG_2731.jpeg

The ”chassis” which Springfield calls a “central operating group”.

IMG_2732.jpeg

Good luck with it! How is that mag release though? Pics can be deceiving but it looks as if sits just above flush with the raised moulding it sits on. The mag release on the Glocks is pronounced and texturally different from the area surround the release to a significant degree.

Good luck with it! How is that mag release though? Pics can be deceiving but it looks as if sits just above flush with the raised moulding it sits on. The mag release on the Glocks is pronounced and texturally different from the area surround the release to a significant degree.
The mag release is, in fact, flush with the moulding. I believe this was intentional - to prevent accidental activation of the mag release - a problem I have had on other pistols, most notably, the Walther CCP.

Finding and hitting the button on this gun is easy, and the mag drops free without a hitch. It took me no time at all to adapt, unlike, say, the H&K USP with the paddle on the trigger guard.

This one is also ambidextrous - unlike most of the Glocks I own - so, it just plain works, no need to reinstall it for a lefty, or switch it back for a righty.

It seems like gun tech is about as good as it is going to get.

The Echelon looks like a cross between many different designs. SA is a great gun maker, one of the best. Wish they did not brand stamp everything to death. My favorite striker 9mm is the old XD Service.

Trijicon is the best. I still have not jumped on that bandwagon.....the red dot.

Is take down Glock stupid simple? Since you’re comparing.

How is buying a handgun for a gift in your state?
The takedown is easy. Lock slide back, rotate lever, slide comes off.

I don’t like the “pull the trigger” part of a Glock takedown, even though it is stupid simple.

Buying a gun as a gift is no longer allowed in Virginia. Even transfers between immediate family must be done through an FFL.

One also has to be very careful about the “straw purchase” of Federal Law. “Are you the actual buyer” and “Is this gun intended for anyone else” on the 4473.

In this particular case, I bought the gun. She then wrote me a check for the purchase price. She put it in the safe until Christmas Day.

Fully compliant with all applicable laws and regulations.

Mrs. Astro got me a Springfield Echelon for Christmas. For those of you unfamiliar, here is the web page: https://www.springfield-armory.com/echelon-series-handguns/echelon-handguns/. It is a striker fired 9mm, built on a polymer frame with a “chassis” that has the fire control and serial number, much like Sig did with the P320 and the P365. It has a standard magazine of 17 and comes with a 20 round extended magazine. The safety is built into the trigger, ala Glock.

This chassis allows for new grip modules, to better tailor the pistol to the shooter’s hand. It comes with several backstraps that are easily replaced to fit the shooter as well. I found that the factory installed option works perfectly for me.

I mounted a Trijicon RMR. https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-rmr

Some of the features that distinguish this pistol from any other polymer framed, striker fired, 9mm example:
1. The slide is pre-cut for an optic. Springfield has a unique set of pins and mounting holes that allow optics to be mounted directly to the slide. The optic is lower, more secure, and doesn’t require extra “bits” for fitting. You leave the factory sights in place, and they co-witness with the RMR. No need for “suppressor height” sights to be able to see them with a red dot mounted.
3. The slide is “flared” and serrated both front and rear (see the photo below) making slide manipulation much easier. It is easier to grasp than a flat sided slide.

How does it shoot?

In a word - great.

The grip surface is, well, “grippy” without being harsh, and there are lots of little texture bits on the frame (for indexing your trigger finger on the frame). Recoil is light, because of the high grip.

I am getting used to the RMR, it’s a new concept for me. I sighted the RMR at 10 yards, and if I was doing my part, every round went into a quarter sized hole. Factory sights are set up for a “lollipop” sight picture, with the target just above the front sight, so, setting up the RMR dot to be dead on had the iron sights just below the bullseye.

I have put 500 rounds through it so far. Various brands of ball rounds, some Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST defensive rounds, and it has been flawless.

If I was asked a month ago - “What one gun would you choose if you could only have one for a variety of purposes?” I would have said, my Glock 19. Today? I would choose this one. It is that much better. That’s not knocking the Glock, it’s a great gun, but this Echelon has raised the performance bar.

So, adaptable, accurate, reliable, easier to manipulate and operate, with great sighting options. It is a really nice gun.

View attachment 198569

The flaring on the slide - allowing an easier grip. Notice how it narrows just forward of the ejection port and just forward of the rear sight.
View attachment 198570

View attachment 198571
I am seeing dual trigger bars if I am not mistaken. Bet the trigger is smooth

I just received this EMail from The Mag Shack. They're running this deal on OEM 20 round Springfield magazines for the Echelon. I can't say if it's good or bad pricewise.

But I thought I would put it out there if you're interested Astro. Can't have enough Hi-Cap mags these days. The reviews are all very positive.

Another range day with the Echelon. Still very accurate. Still perfectly reliable. Still getting used to the Trijicon.

Still love it.

Another range day with the Echelon. Still very accurate. Still perfectly reliable. Still getting used to the Trijicon.

Still love it.
round count? Junk ammo or your normal premium stuff?

How does it shoot?

In a word - great.

View attachment 198569

View attachment 198570

View attachment 198571
is the ejector made into the same piece as the slide release?

is the ejector made into the same piece as the slide release?
The ejector is part of the "chassis", that includes frame rails, and barrel locking lug, and into which the trigger and slide release are fitted.

Pull that "chassis" out, and you have a plastic shell, that is easy to change for different grip length, hand size, etc.

The ejector is part of the "chassis", that includes frame rails, and barrel locking lug, and into which the trigger and slide release are fitted.

Pull that "chassis" out, and you have a plastic shell, that is easy to change for different grip length, hand size, etc.
That is a very robust ejector design. Nice Thanks for the info.

Back