Finally tinting the Jetta, need suggestions.

I think lighter than 30% is a waste if you want privacy. I have had 20% on all my cars until I got my Mazda. I went with 30%…with a dark interior most people still think it’s 20%.

I do wish I went with ceramic as people all say how much it helps to keep the heat out.

This is 15% all around.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 25
Anything lighter then 30 you can see right through and I do recommend the windshield tint for more heat rejection.
My car was tinted with 3m and it faded to a blue hue. I went back to the shop and they acknowledged the issue and had switched brands due to this issue. I now have Xpel 15% and then 30% on my windshield.

Attachments

• 41070A49-16EC-4FAE-A478-3ED94DA69690.jpeg
    41070A49-16EC-4FAE-A478-3ED94DA69690.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 13
Definitely get ceramic. The dyed stuff is the crazy purple tint you see on other cars.

1st 2 pictures were of my Kia with 30% tint, from inside and outside. Next one was my Durango with factory “privacy glass” on the rear and 30-35% tint on the front windows. Next 2 are on my 300 with 20%. The 300 had metallized tint though. It was surprisingly easy to see out of despite appearing super dark from the outside…. I also never opened the shade for the panoramic sunroof which made the all black interior even darker looking from the outside.

A438BE7F-A3A4-4192-A41D-9322C4C1BFC4.jpeg
F7063B82-4B21-4639-B5A8-A41C33ABA00C.jpeg
7290776A-74E0-451B-99FB-3BEE9CFECC11.jpeg
2E7A9A1B-2847-401C-9B92-24C07F3D3541.jpeg
4905B1E1-7789-4184-B151-0B3AA02867BE.jpeg

This was 35% front, 20% rear. Not too dark at all. I was actually surprised at how light the 35% was.

3C0B0A7A-47E6-4EC9-A26B-88F6C8C3311B.jpeg

Greg, here's my 21 Jetta with 35% 3M ceramic all around and 70% on the windshield. Looks way better and the heat reduction is simply amazing. First car I've tinted but it's going to be a must from here on out. It doesn't bother me at all at night, but any darker might.

imagejpeg_0(18).jpg

I’ve been wanting to have our VW’s tinted for years now but never got around to it. Finally planning on having it done on my wife’s 2021 Jetta. The business I’m using uses Llumar tint.

They offer basic tint and ceramic. It’s about an $80 difference.

I have a few questions. First, what benefits does ceramic tint have? Does it last longer, repel more heat? Or would I just be paying for the “ceramic” name.

Also, one main reason I’m doing this is because I like the look of tint. Right now the car is a fish bowl, everyone can see right in at a stop light. So, what tint level do you think looks best, while also being functional? Not knowing that it looks like in person, I am thinking 30% all the way around.

Fire away.

Current set up:
Want better color stability and heat rejection? Spend more for ceramic

Here's the dirty car. This is 30% front and 50% over the factory rear privacy glass. From the side it's pretty dark buy looking any angle that includes the windshield, it looks pretty light. I should have done 20% front and wanted to do 70% on the windshield as well but I wasn't sure how it would have affected the camera/sensors. From far away it's definitely darker.

1644608860319.png
1644608898605.png

1644608926780.png
1644608935580.png

1644608952635.png
1644608965158.png

The Acura is 20% on all windows with a very light grey interior (Except windshield) and the Ranger is 35% on the Front two, and 20% on the rear with a dark interior. Both are metallized films, equivalent now would be a ceramc film. Just avoid dyed films as their lifespan is quite a bit shorter.

Reason I mentioned the interior is that is can effect the way the tint looks. Light interiors can make the tint look a little lighter than it actually is and the reverse with a dark interior.

The Acura is darker than legal in this state, although your results vary on if you are hassled about it. Fun fact, Georgia has made window tint a fingerprintable offense, meaning you can be arrested and taken to jail for a simple tint ticket. Does it happen often? Not hardly, just a quirk of our laws. I have been pulled over before for it, but as I wasn't speeding at the time it was just a fishing expedition and was on my way in a few minutes after everything checked out ok.

Up to you if you want to comply with your local state laws or not. You can ask your tinter, they will know if people are generally hassled about it or not. Quick search shows FL to require '28%' on cars. Keep in mind that doesn't mean you can install 28% tint and be ok. There is some small amount of tint in factory glass and the final outcome will be lower. Case in point, the Acura has 21% tint installed on the windows. A tint meter will read 12%. To actually hit the GA 35% number, you actually have to use somewhere around a high 30's to 40% tint for it to read spot on 35% on a meter.

IMG_20220211_150115362.jpg
IMG_20220211_150131007_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Greg, here's my 21 Jetta with 35% 3M ceramic all around and 70% on the windshield. Looks way better and the heat reduction is simply amazing. First car I've tinted but it's going to be a must from here on out. It doesn't bother me at all at night, but any darker might.

View attachment 88546
How do you deal with the MO state inspection sticker? Do you just ask your inspection shop not to stick it on there?

I've thought about tinting the windshield on my cars but I wouldn't want the sticker adhesive damaging the tint

You’re hilarious. Move on.
Umm yea if its a reputable place none of what you say is true. Ive looked at over 10000 vehicles in my career as an appraiser and I've never had an issue with what you say, in fact I've never even heard of such a thing There is a reason why there are weather strips and moisture shields on doors.

How do you deal with the MO state inspection sticker? Do you just ask your inspection shop not to stick it on there?

I've thought about tinting the windshield on my cars but I wouldn't want the sticker adhesive damaging the tint
It's new so no inspection and doesn't need one to 150k. I suppose if I reached that point I'd ask them to just give it to me and I'd put it with the registration.

Definitely recommend going all the way and doing the windshield also.

View attachment 88546
No issues with vehicle damage as was previously mentioned by another member?

The sticker? I don't have to have one. I do have a suction cup gate reader from work, I put it on the dash when the tint was installed but in the end just left it there. Installer said it'd be fine after curing but I've not wanted to chance it.

I just had my new truck done in 3M ceramic. I’m not sure what % he uses I always tell him darkest legal and put the proof of meeting state law in the glove box Incase some popo trolls me.

Back