Black is the silliest car color - prove me wrong

Personally I think Black makes any car look great, especially with some nice wheels and any interior color other than black. I just dont have the energy to maintain a black cars appearance

That Vette is gorgeous. Love that car! I love the gleaming fenders, the crisp lines, the chrome. Everything.

If someone thinks it’s a “shapeless blob” - they need to visit an optometrist.
Astro, let's just say getting all the panels to line up, cleaning up the chorme and laying down the black took someone who really knew these cars. And 4 months. Today, this would be easily $25K. Every panel was reworked. A labor of love.
Please excuse my lack of photography skills and cheapo camera. I have to believe you would like the sound of the original L36 427 through the Hedman headers and turbos more; I do. 2nd gear might get you sideways.
68_Vette back.jpg

Astro, let's just say getting all the panels to line up, cleaning up the chorme and laying down the black took someone who really knew these cars. And 4 months. Today, this would be easily $25K. Every panel was reworked. A labor of love.
Please excuse my lack of photography skills and cheapo camera. I have to believe you would like the sound of the original L36 427 through the Hedman headers and turbos more; I do. 2nd gear might get you sideways.
View attachment 147099
Music to my ears, I’m certain.

Black can look great. Black cars, like any other color car, reflect light that creates tones that range from black to white depending on the viewing angle. Highlights will accentuate shapes and angles more when compared to lighter colors.
Exactly. Obviously it depends on the lighting conditions, but a good glossy black car shows a lot of shape and detail in its reflections.

My observation is that 95% of cars on the road are either black, white, grey or red. Seriously, take a look next time. 4 colors.
Same where I live, just substitute silver or gold for red. Not too many red cars here. Black, white, gray silver.... Plus all those gold Camrys...

So. I get that when super clean and under certain angle black can look superb. But. Under most conditions, a black car looks like a black hole, void, or a blob

Black hides all of the lines/complex stamping and turns a cars silhouette into a said black blob, hole, void.

Just the other day I saw a new(er) Audi RS6 Avant - $122k starting price - on the freeway. I could tell it was something serious from afar, but because the car was black and tinted I could only make out what it is, and kind of, sort of see it’s nice curves, complex stampings only when I got up close. Even then barely. It was just a big black blob…

Then, half an hour later I saw the same car but in lighter color, and what a difference it makes. Like a beautiful woman in a form fitting cocktail dress, or sportswear instead of wearing russian grandma style THICK fleece jacket that hides everything.

I have observed the same effect with other cars too. Black just sucks on good looking cars, as it makes them …. Well, you already know what I think.

So, although owners of black cars might think they look sharp driving a black car, with tinted windows and black wheels (worst case scenario) in reality they are invisible to others the way a black hole is.

Why buy a good looking car and then negate its looks by choosing it in black?

P.S. “your money your choice” blah-blah-blah. I’m not saying you are not allowed to own a black car, I merely question adequacy of such a decision on a good looking cars
While there are dozens of different shades of black which has contain different amounts and size of flake I generally agree but darker colors in general mute the lines of a vehicle. Flat black does it the most and that was the color of my 335d. Darker colors are consider more classy. My wife chose metallic black for her BMW 230 so that it would hide or de-emphasize some of the more edgier design features of the car. Flat white will do the same and it's just as difficult to keep cleaner.

Silver by far is the most convenient color to own.

I see that some people got apprehensive. I assume, presumably, we are all grown adult males here?

Anyways, let’s see what women say about black clothing and it’s effect on one’s shape:
  • To de-emphasize a trouble area
  • To hide large or bulging tummy
  • To appear slimmer
  • To hide your body
Lol!

0DAFD5BE-8269-4C07-9A09-E67375362263.jpeg

9BAF50BE-9957-49A5-BAE5-785CF484B182.jpeg

ECE5E256-2D23-45FB-A046-77383EBAE6A1.jpeg

4748E95E-C2AF-40A0-8893-8D69912059B3.jpeg

4759B41F-AB4E-4B2E-B657-5A00F2743D03.jpeg

DD8FBA57-4511-4DE3-88FB-BCF5E10A6635.jpeg

So, black can still work on cars, but it hides/mutes lines and curves, unless under some ideal conditions. Therefore, it seems dubious to buy, say a curvy Corvette and then MUTE THOSE CURVES by picking black color. That’s the premise and it seems to be empirically correct. I suspect, many people just don’t know better, which is ok, but does not change the fact

I see that some people got apprehensive. I assume, presumably, we are all grown adult males here?

Anyways, let’s see what women say about black clothing and it’s effect on one’s shape:
  • To de-emphasize a trouble area
  • To hide large or bulging tummy
  • To appear slimmer
  • To hide your body
Lol!

View attachment 147175
View attachment 147176
View attachment 147177
View attachment 147178
View attachment 147179
View attachment 147182

So, black can still work on cars, but it hides/mutes lines and curves, unless under some ideal conditions. Therefore, it seems dubious to buy, say a curvy Corvette and then MUTE THOSE CURVES by picking black color. That’s the premise and it seems to be empirically correct. I suspect, many people just don’t know better, which is ok, but does not change the fact
You keep talking about hiding curves and such. Okay…I have two criteria for a car purchase: can I pay cash for it and can it get me out of trouble as quickly as it got me into it.

As long as it satisfies those two, the color could be primer or turd brown for all I care.

You keep talking about hiding curves and such. Okay…I have two criteria for a car purchase: can I pay cash for it and can it get me out of trouble as quickly as it got me into it.

As long as it satisfies those two, the color could be primer or turd brown for all I care.

I guess you are one of those people that can’t be sued for having a life? 😁.

I’m just kidding! Your approach is as legitimate as any, and it’s your choice

black cars suck. if you want a nice dark color on your car get dark blue. i have a black car with black interior and i can confirm that in the summer it is hotter than a neutron star. i don't wash the car because it looks better covered in mud, the mud hides the peeling paint.
Tint is your friend.

Be careful what you post online… someone may be willing to put it to the test.
brown-benz-1.jpg

May I ask, what if the cars satisfies your 2 criteria, but is lustrous pink?

I like my all black Grand Cherokee and the blacked out windows in the back. Even better is my son's newer Tahoe that is all black and with the blacked out suncreen for the rear. you would think the FBI is coming up your driveway. :)

Back