Extended OCI on Oil Burner - how far can you go?

Why not try thicker oil to see if it slows consumption even a bit?
If it was bad oil control rings, or restriction in the oil return holes, might that make it worse? Just speculation, even though I have heard of doing that, and succeeding.

Still, 2k/qt is hardly that bad. I think most OEM's won't look at you until you are at what, 1k/qt? Heh, my dad's Astrovan must have cracked a ring overnight, it suddenly started drinking oil--and badly. We limped it another 27k before pulling the plug on that motor, at the end it wasn't even 100 miles before it needed a quart. Still no blue smoke though, but it couldn't have been far from it.

Honestly, I'd top off and go, no change to operation. TBH that's what I do with my "oil burning" 99 Camry. Similar consumption, but I do 5k OCI's so it's only a quart required.

If it's consuming two quarts in 5000 miles, how much worse can it get? You can nurse it for a long time. I know that. My RAV4 limped along for thousands of miles while I dealt with its oil consumption problems.
It's not bad until the plugs start to foul on a regular basis and a quart every 2500 miles is not bad to me.

My '02 F150 uses about a qt every 1,000-1,200 miles.

Last change was @ 5,000 miles, but 27 months.

I don't plan on changing the oil and filter again till I have at least gone through the rest of my 0w-20 oil (6 qts), and maybe more.
It may be another 3-4 years till I change it, and at least 7,000 miles would be my guess.
Currently running Pennzoil Platinum HM 0w-20 (and 1 qt of PP 0w-20 top off oil so far) and a Fram XG10575 filter.

I had a coworker that had a mid 90's Chevy that had the truck for 5 years and had only changed the filter 3-4 times in that timeframe, he just added a qt of oil every so often.

Do a piston soak to clean the rings and run 5w30/40 in it afterwards. What reduced my consumption. Now I am at 6oz for just over 4k so far

03 Accord 2.4L
Consumes 1-qt every 2-2.5K

It currently has HPL 10W20 in the sump. The oil has 5500 miles on it and I just completed the first filter change. Including filter change, total top-up is 3 quarts.

How far can I go? I’m thinking 15K, minimum.
You have to be refreshing the additives when topping off. You are really introducing 20% new oil everytime you top off. I would think that with 5000 or less filter changes, the sump drain interval would be greatly increased. But only analysis could prove this. HPL is supposed to be serious stuff that can withstand long drain intervals, so refreshing it should be a plus. Not sure if it were mt car and it used that much that I would be running such an expensive oil though.

03 Accord 2.4L
Consumes 1-qt every 2-2.5K

It currently has HPL 10W20 in the sump. The oil has 5500 miles on it and I just completed the first filter change. Including filter change, total top-up is 3 quarts.

How far can I go? I’m thinking 15K, minimum.
Did you cut that filter ? That‘s the likely limiter if cleaning out old deposits - not the HPL oil being fed in fairly often … 15K is a good target …

Last edited:
Back in high school in the mid 90’s, my friend had a 1978 Monte Carlo that had a V6 that burned a lot of oil.

It was getting t-bone at an intersection that killed the car, not the 4 years of adding oil and not changing it. That’s the bummer of all car ownership. You can over think it and then someone else makes the decision for you!

I would pull the plug and change the filter once per year if it were mine just to get any junk out of the pan and look for metal shavings.

My wife’s 86 LeBaron convertible was like this and that’s exactly what I did. I also bought the cheapest oil I could find, even trying some recycled oil that Farm and Fleet was selling really cheap. It was the timing belt snapping that sent that car to the junkyard.

Back