Should I push HPL longer than 4K OCIs with track use?

Who cares about oil when that slug of a wagon teeters and totters around a track. How about stripping all that plastic fat interior and start pushing that wagon. A sawzall would do wonders with that extra hatch and backseat weight.

Here is my heavily weight reduced Kia Spectra5 enjoying the bluebonnets.

1704465356423.jpg

Who cares about oil when that slug of a wagon teeters and totters around a track. How about stripping all that plastic fat interior and start pushing that wagon. A sawzall would do wonders with that extra hatch and backseat weight.

Here is my heavily weight reduced Kia Spectra5 enjoying the bluebonnets.

View attachment 196595
Maybe one day it will turn into a caged track car....

I admit to being a bit of a novice when it comes to sampling oil. All my previous UOAs were done during a drain.

I’ve since bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099FG68K3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

And some tubing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FCJZLRZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Which allows a “clean” sample to be pulled (fresh tubing each time) from the oil while in service. Both were recommendations from @wwillson and this is the system that @High Performance Lubricants uses.

I admit to being a bit of a novice when it comes to sampling oil. All my previous UOAs were done during a drain.

I’ve since bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099FG68K3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

And some tubing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FCJZLRZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Which allows a “clean” sample to be pulled (fresh tubing each time) from the oil while in service. Both were recommendations from @wwillson and this is the system that @High Performance Lubricants uses.
I use a disposable large syringe and fresh poly tubing, snake it into the dipstick tube, pull sample. Throw it away.

Got my second order of HPL today. Actually 2-3 days ahead of their estimated delivery date. Decided to use HPL in wife's car since her car is used in conditions considered (severe/harsh) just about daily.
She is also very hard on vehicles (she admits it) that when she leaves the house I throw a few comments her way like, "ok Ms Petty, no burn outs please" or "no wheelies or driving on two wheels etc...." "try to keep it between the ditches?" She been driving me around lately (me in the back seat) to Doctors and tests / appointments since I can't drive these days. I swear the way she takes off from a stop will give a person whiplash. She also seems to be totally unable to miss or keep from slamming into every pot hole or speed bump we come upon. Sorry off topic. Maybe HPL or someone can make an oil that makes a vehicle impervious to damage from rough handling and misuse by the operator....:eek:

Our esteemed moderator, @wwillson, has suggested longer OCIs for my Sportwagen on the HPL Euro 5W40. Thinking on it, ~4K OCIs are only being driven my track time, not miles. For example, my last OCI was ~4.1K including 5 track days...the UOA is forthcoming but I can't see why it will look any different than my other HPL UOAs....100 deg C viscosity at ~12cST and normal analyte/wear metal values, likely a bit of fuel but nothing egregious from what I have seen. Should have those results back in a few weeks. If they look fine, I think I may push this next one out a bit longer. Forecasting my 2024 HPDE schedule, I'm looking at ~11 total track days/~6 events over the course of the year. Oil temps on my car push upwards of 280 during these events. 11 track days equates to roughly 15 hours on track. My daily driving at this point is about 10K/year but can fluctuate. My consumable costs are not insignificant; based on my track events to-date, I am at $288/day in consumables (primarily tires/brake pads) but oil can be factored in too; this number is over-estimated b/c I've done quite a bit of experimenting with brake pads etc. so I expect that number to fall steadily over this year's events as I've landed on tires/brake pads that I like/last a reasonable time. This cost doesn't include fuel but I can't change that cost. Brake fluid is free from FCP Euro. So anything I can to do to intelligently reduce consumable costs is a good thing. One HPL oil change is $100 for me, filter is free from FCP Euro. So drop $200 off my 2024 costs at ~3 changes currently.

Can HPL Euro 5W40 be used for 15 hours of track conditions/high oil temps? So 1 year/~10K OCI?

Edit. I can just pull oil samples during the year...duh.

View attachment 196550
View attachment 196555View attachment 196556
Seems to be hugging that track pretty darn good for the type of body. Have you invested in many suspension changes? Asking because it looks like you have it set up sitting real nice and low for track use.....? I know you can feel some roll in the corners but it could be a lot worse. Roll or not I am sure you are having some good times behind the wheel.

Seems to be hugging that track pretty darn good for the type of body. Have you invested in many suspension changes? Asking because it looks like you have it set up sitting real nice and low for track use.....? I know you can feel some roll in the corners but it could be a lot worse. Roll or not I am sure you are having some good times behind the wheel.
I have but it's all pretty mild as this is my draily driver for the most part. It's great for track use if you accept that it's not a track-only car and has limits. Basically a nice sport/touring cup kit, sway bars, camber, and chassis stiffening.

Here's my chassis/suspension mod list:

H&R Sport springs (spring rubbers in fronts)
Bilstein B8 dampers
Golf R rear jounce bumpers
Euro Sport Street Camber Kit (-0.8 deg camber)
H&R front (27mm)/rear (25mm) sway bars
Tyrolsport front subframe deadset kit
034 rear subframe inserts
Tyrolsport rear subframe deadset kit (custom)
034 Dynamic+ front/rear adj sway bar end links
Superpro aluminum lower control arms (+1 deg caster/-0.5 deg camber)
034 Density Line engine/transmission mounts
034 Street Density dog bone pucks, upper/lower dog bone inserts, and billet dogbone mount
Superpro rear trailing arm bushings
Alignment specs: [front -2.0 camber/7.9 caster/0 toe] [rear -1.7 camber/0.08 toe]

A93A6766.jpg

I have but it's all pretty mild as this is my draily driver for the most part. It's great for track use if you accept that it's not a track-only car and has limits. Basically a nice sport/touring cup kit, sway bars, camber, and chassis stiffening.

Here's my chassis/suspension mod list:

H&R Sport springs (spring rubbers in fronts)
Bilstein B8 dampers
Golf R rear jounce bumpers
Euro Sport Street Camber Kit (-0.8 deg camber)
H&R front (27mm)/rear (25mm) sway bars
Tyrolsport front subframe deadset kit
034 rear subframe inserts
Tyrolsport rear subframe deadset kit (custom)
034 Dynamic+ front/rear adj sway bar end links
Superpro aluminum lower control arms (+1 deg caster/-0.5 deg camber)
034 Density Line engine/transmission mounts
034 Street Density dog bone pucks, upper/lower dog bone inserts, and billet dogbone mount
Superpro rear trailing arm bushings
Alignment specs: [front -2.0 camber/7.9 caster/0 toe] [rear -1.7 camber/0.08 toe]

View attachment 196873
Oh yeah. I love how you managed to create your very own road / track set up on it that allows you to really enjoy both places.

So doing my 2024 HPDE planning/reservations this week, looking at 8-10 todays total, mostly VIR with one day at Summit Point and a day up the road at a small track called Dominion. So I'll put this fill I just did at ~100K miles through the ringer. May only get 4 total days in H1 and the balance in Nov so will pull a sample mid-year after it makes sense/half way just to make sure viscosity isn't an issue. I have a sample at BS now that is showing "unpacked" with 5 track days on it so will be a good one to look at as I *think* that's the most I've done on the HPL since starting to use it.

8csn7d.jpg

Survey sayyyyyyyysssss

No.

Got my second order of HPL today. Actually 2-3 days ahead of their estimated delivery date. Decided to use HPL in wife's car since her car is used in conditions considered (severe/harsh) just about daily.
She is also very hard on vehicles (she admits it) that when she leaves the house I throw a few comments her way like, "ok Ms Petty, no burn outs please" or "no wheelies or driving on two wheels etc...." "try to keep it between the ditches?" She been driving me around lately (me in the back seat) to Doctors and tests / appointments since I can't drive these days. I swear the way she takes off from a stop will give a person whiplash. She also seems to be totally unable to miss or keep from slamming into every pot hole or speed bump we come upon. Sorry off topic. Maybe HPL or someone can make an oil that makes a vehicle impervious to damage from rough handling and misuse by the operator....:eek:
HPL won't do a bit of good over all.

Back