Extended OCI on Oil Burner - how far can you go?

The engine is on its last legs. What's the worse that would happen if you never changed the oil again and just topped it off? When my old RAV4 was consuming a lot of oil, I still changed it about every 5000 miles but realistically, I don't know if I accomplished anything.

My unscientific opinion: I’d add two quarts, and when it is ready for a third quart at 6k, do a full change. Yes new fluid is continually going in, but a fair amount of old is still around. I’m thinking, this gets to around normal oci, and wastes least amount of oil.

Problem is, ‘tis nothing for me to do an oil change. If this is your customer they might not catch on properly and might drive until the low oil light comes on. Not sure what to advise there.

Last edited:
Problem is, ‘tis nothing for to do an oil change. If this is your customer they might not catch on properly and might drive until the low oil light comes on. Not sure what to advise there.
The car belongs to my cousin. It comes by 1-2 times per month.

You can probably go 15k, but I'd still do it at 10 anyway :cautious:

a quart every 2k isn't too too bad. Honda says anything better than a quart every 1k is acceptable :oops:

03 Accord 2.4L
Consumes 1-qt every 2-2.5K

It currently has HPL 10W20 in the sump. The oil has 5500 miles on it and I just completed the first filter change. Including filter change, total top-up is 3 quarts.

How far can I go? I’m thinking 15K, minimum.
Our just add oil as needed and change filter every 5k or more.

My Jetta consumes 1L of oil every 1000 to 2000 KILOMETRES since new! The engine is the only thing that still works properly on that thing. I’m sure your engine still has lots of life left. I would try a thicker oil and see if that works if I was in your position.

03 Accord 2.4L
Consumes 1-qt every 2-2.5K

It currently has HPL 10W20 in the sump. The oil has 5500 miles on it and I just completed the first filter change. Including filter change, total top-up is 3 quarts.

How far can I go? I’m thinking 15K, minimum.
That consumption is not disasterous. I ran a Dodge 2.5 that consumed a quart of cheap oil every 750 miles. I changed oil every 7500 miles and the engine was running good when it was hit two years later.

Change it every 7500 miles and you will be surprised how far that engine will go. Take it beyond 10k and I doubt it.

I would make sure your PCV and breather systems are in working order.

How good of a filter? Maybe a nice 20k filter. Then keep topping off what burns out and dont even bother changing the filter until its due? 🤷‍♂️

That is far from "on it's last legs"...
If it's consuming two quarts in 5000 miles, how much worse can it get? You can nurse it for a long time. I know that. My RAV4 limped along for thousands of miles while I dealt with its oil consumption problems.

Back