Engineers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

"Many of the young men and women comeing out of college today have no practical experince or knoldge!"

All they know how to do is drink beer like pigs, take all sorts of drugs, find dumb stupid women easy to sleep with, and write bad checks.
Send them all to Iraq, they will get smart real quick.

I can only speak from my experance. This does not work very well if the person does not have a good head on thier shoulders to begin with. If that is the case they will never learn any thing. Or take responsiblity for thier actions. People just have to live and learn on there own.
twocents.gif

Quote:

.............One may be able to solve partial differential equations . .................

....By using "separation of variables"?
wink.gif

Seriously, I am also an engineer, and the only one in my office (20 total) who works on his own car(s) -- the others are really not interested, but they do come to me and complain about their car problems and the "lousy" job some poor service shop did (I don't know how they can tell).

Regards,
paul...

Quote:

welcome back molakule!!! nice to see you!!

Indeed! When are we gonna get an A5 rated 0w-20 with a -100 degree pour point and a 5,000 degree flash point? HT/HS of 10.
ooo.gif

What's the status of SF and your jump into the engine oil market mola?

I'm a retired ChE and have worked with other engineers for over 25 yrs. Like someone said earlier, they are all over the map. One mechanical engineer I worked with rebuilt his Pinto(?) and elected not to change the timing belt. I had a discussion about that with him and told him how much damage could occur as I think that engine was of the interference type. He told me in no uncertain terms that if the belt broke the cam would stop on the back side and valves would not be in the way of pistons!!!!!!!!! Go figure. Don't know how it all worked out in the long run as I left the company soon after.
In college I had a chemistry prof who we made fun of, and she would write on the board..."yesterday I couldn't spell engineer, today I are one."
cheers.gif

My coworker has a PhD in Mechanics and is literally brilliant. But he thinks that if he drained his well-used motor oil and poured it through a coffee filter that it would make it suitable for re-use in his engine. LoL.
It's a simple matter of lack of education on the matter.

We also have all kinds of engineers here in Detroit. Fortunately most of them know their way around a car.

When I worked with the Engine Design & Development engineers at Chrysler 25 years ago, they tried to hire smart engineers who were also gear heads. Wrenching on cars was a definite asset when applying for a job there.

OK, I have a degree in mechanical engineering and have worked in the field for 25 years or so.

My father worked construction and maintenance and I grew up with tools in my hands . . . I spent most of my summers in high school and college working at a maintenance machine shop, rebuilding machine tools and other industrial equipment, lots of heavy, dirty work. Most of my cars were bought as projects. I was really good at math and science in school, so I decided to go to college, rather than go into a trade. I went to a big-name engineering school did well there. The engineering work I do is sort-of interesting and the pay is good. Most days, I'd rather be wrenching than mousing though. Gotta love that cubicle. At least my job lets me do troubleshooting out in the plant.

My experience is that most engineers are pretty handy. They fix their own cars, appliances, computers, do their own home improvements, etc. Maybe it's because the company I've worked for during the last 20 years makes a point to hire down-to-earth practical people . . . or maybe it's because many of the folks here come from farming backgrounds with lots of hands-on exposure. I work in manufacturing engineering . . . dealing more with the production equipment than the product itself. We don't have very many dogmatic textbook types. We listen to the folks in the factory and the machine shop and learn from them. We try lots of unconventional approaches and have come up with a lot of unique ways of doing things that have let our company pretty much dominate our particular market.

Our engineering staff mostly drives well maintained older vehicles. . . much older and a lot less showy than the cars that even some of the factory folks seem to drive, and certainly less showy than what most of the other office folks drive. Most of us are fairly outgoing family types, active in our community, churches, etc. and all of us enjoy time with friends and a good laugh. For some reason I haven't been able to figure out, a number of our engineers, myself included, also are involved in music, composing, playing instruments or singing . . . maybe it is because of some sort of drive to be creative.

Maybe my experience with other engineers is biased, or maybe we have an unusual group here. I just thought I'd babble on for a while. Thanks for putting up with me.

Al
coffeetime.gif

Quote:

Many of the young men and women comeing out of college today have no practical experince or knoldge!

That's why we like to hire folks who have been involved in the Rose-Hulman motorsports team, the Purdue Grand Prix, or Rensselaer Formula SAE competition.
smile.gif

I'm an electrical engineer and I dont even know what motor oil is, let alone how to check it.

One annoying problem we have when trying to hire young engineers is that they don't want to do any work?!?! They all want to be project managers?!?! Not that PM's dont do any work, but you would think they would want to do a little engineering for a while.

Quote:

carock,
my boss (an engineer, as am I) has a wife who is adament that proficient engineers are slightly touched with autism (like Einstein, Franklin etc are reputed to be)...she may have a point.

I have an engineering degree, and I've always thought that I'm a little like that; but without the proficient part or the comparisons to geniuses! I always got very high marks in math subjects with little to no studying or paying attention in class, but I'm a little, uh, socially retarded and I REALLY like routines. My parents also happened to be quite old when I was born.

Quote:

"Many of the young men and women comeing out of college today have no practical experince or knoldge!"

All they know how to do is drink beer like pigs, take all sorts of drugs, find dumb stupid women easy to sleep with....

Most of them can't spell a lick either and actually find it easy to sleep with most women as long as they aren't too fat or too ugly and don't snore too much.
banana.gif

I think only when folks get burnt they would go and understand their vehicles or show any interest in fluids like many folks on this forum.

For example, my brother and I are twins, electrical engineers with masters and work in one of the biggest companies in the Bay Area, but then I am all for maintaining my vehicle(s) but then my brother won't even open the hood. 5 years ago I was a novice when it came to vehicles, go to the stealership even for an oil change but then one day my battery broke right before I was to pick up my wife from the airport. That was the breaking point, I told myself I will do the regular maintainence and not embarass my wife and myself with a broken car. Slowly but steadily I have been building up on my mechanical skills..

Now 5 yrs since, I have learnt many aspects of car maintainence becoz I want to be a step ahead. That necessarily cannot be said of my brother, he drives a Lexus, hits the curb during parallel parking, never engages the parking brake while parking putting all the stess on the transmission, does complete PS lock-to-lock turns putting stress on the CV boots, etc. All the stupid that that ticks me off, inspite of me telling him repeatedly the do/don'ts!!! He once shelled out $2k to replace his CV boots and O2 sensors to a stealership -- can you believe it, my jaw dropped when he told me that!!!

There is a saying that goes "You can only take a horse to the river, you cannot make it dring water".

My name is John, I am an engineer, and I change my own oil. (I've practiced this line for future support groups I may join)

I became an engineer in the semiconductor industry due to my years of experience - I do not have an engineering degree. Because of the way I worked myself up in the industry, the floor operators I work with understand what I have to say to them better than the PhD. (note: I have had to train the PhD on the basic concepts of operation)

I became an engineer because I like to figure things out and make things better. This is the same reason that I change the oil and maintain my vehicles. With my world view, this is part of the 'hands on' approach to life. (I also repair my own toasters!) I would go absolutely nuts if I had to depend on others for all of my maintenance needs.
crazy.gif

I am continuously surprised with the bulk of individuals that do not have a clue of what we here take for basic knowledge of car maintenance. Changing oil is therapy away from the cubicle. I am a member of the BITOG therapy group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back