Dodge Challenger 6.4 Scat Pack rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have to word it like that. Because they know some schmuck will drag race it everyday and be [censored] he slung a rod because his last challenger with the v6 stated 10,000 mile oil changes.

They are also assuming the car is being driven the national average.

Originally Posted By: hal26
Thanks Brybo86 for makimg me aware of the fact that I may have been posting too much in my own thread. The comments were coming in fast and furious and I was trying to respond to each one individually. I did not mean to rattle the Bitog cage....I will just shut up for now. Thanks everyone for your kind comments and good ideas!

60 posts in 11 years and the pundits criticize for too many posts? Holy schnikes!

Feel free to post more Hal26....after all, it is YOUR thread.

Buy the oil and filters keep the receipt and use the oil in one of the other vehicles. Super car by the way.

Originally Posted By: jasper302
Amsoil OW40 is another and better IMO option for oil.

Dennis

It is? Why? Does the manual call for it? Does it carry the necessary approvals? Is it cheaper?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Dennis

It is? Why? Does the manual call for it? Does it carry the necessary approvals? Is it cheaper?

Because you can't but it at Walmart or dollar general.

Dennis
What makes Amsoil better?

Should have stocked up on that Pennzoil SRT 0W-40 when Auto Zone had it on clearance for 2 bucks a quart. I have over 30 quarts of it and I'm using it in my Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Dennis

It is "recommended" by Amsoil for SRT applications, however it is not approved by Chrysler.

I think some of you are piling too hard on Hal with the whole "it's only $75 twice a year for an expensive car" argument. Just because it's not that much money and he can probably afford it doesn't make a 6 month OCI requirement with high end syn any less ridiculous. It's not always about saving money -- there's the time spent and the waste of oil too.

Reusing the barely used oil in another vehicle sounds like a good plan to me though!

I wouldn't put the 40 weight in the ram hemi though. If it's a 1500 then it had mds. Some have issues with 30 weight messing with the mds. Some don't. Pretty sure 40 weight would throw a code.

Not that it would actually damage anything. Just cause a CEL for the mds not operating properly.

I run the MOPAR SRT filter and Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro in my Charger Scat Pack. Filters can be purchased on Amazon for $11.75 (dealer wanted $17) with free shipping, still pricey for a filter but it says "SRT" on it so it's gotta be good.
wink.gif

The Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro is still the best bang-for-the-buck 0W-40 out there (opinions vary on this). It doesn't meet the Chrysler spec but I don't worry about it. I realize none of this is helpful because you're worried about your warranty, but I find it highly unlikely that any dealer will void your warranty based on the use of Mobil 1 in the proper grade. IF so, that's a lousy dealer.

It costs me roughly $36 to change my oil, $72 per year.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Frank_Rizzo
You can buy the entire SRT filter/Pennzoil warranty-saving unicorn oil package on eBay for $66.63 shipped to your door.
smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131773808806?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
It is the idea the oil isn't even half used up.

This is true, but the warranty people don't look at it that way. If they want it changed at 6 months even if it was driven 100 miles it's best you change it. Or at least document you changed it.
wink.gif
A virtual oil change some would say.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
I wouldn't put the 40 weight in the ram hemi though. If it's a 1500 then it had mds. Some have issues with 30 weight messing with the mds. Some don't. Pretty sure 40 weight would throw a code.

Not that it would actually damage anything. Just cause a CEL for the mds not operating properly.

Comically, the 6.4L has MDS too.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm just going by what's been brought up on the ram forums. I'm sure some blow it out of proportion as to how much a 30w or heavier affects the mds.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm just going by what's been brought up on the ram forums. I'm sure some blow it out of proportion as to how much a 30w or heavier affects the mds.

FWIW, user Clevy on here ran 0w-40 in his MDS '06 Charger without issue.

Regarding warranty claims, I ran car dealerships for many years and we never, ever asked for oil receipts unless we encountered an engine that was obviously run low on oil or was severely sludged up. I doubt most Chrysler service depts even know of the 6 month interval requirements for Scat Pack. They think everyone should come in every 3,000 - 3 months anyway. The odds of you having an oil related failure on a car you care for and are driving like a sane person are minuscule. Change your oil once a year or so or maybe even once every 5k and you should be fine. OTOH, if you're constantly banging the redline every shift on a routine basis - do as the OM instructs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back